[SOLVED] New rig: Aida64 "hardware failure" (memory) and game crashes.

Martin_133

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017
Hello. I would appreciate some help.

I've recently build a new rig, but i keep running into problems, and i am, to put it mildly, getting quite frustrated.

I did get it to run semi okay, but i had some stuttering and after that i reset it, and thought i would start over. Now i can't seem to run any of my games (BFV, SWBF2, Forza 4 demo etc)
With any of the settings i had before, when it kind of worked.
I thought i would try to locate the problem and downloaded AIDA64 and did some stress testing (both with all auto, DOCP and OC) but i get, what i've located it to be a memory failure.
Can't seem to find much of this online, and people are saying that it's hard to locate the problem (talking about bent pins, faulty hardware etc)
I am not very familiar with AIDA64. Any suggestions of what the problem could be? I am starting to think if maybe i have some faulty parts, since i can't for the life of me get this rig to work properly.
Is there something that i am missing entirely? I feel like i've exhausted the internet and my own energy and patience by now.

I am getting the AMD driver crash everytime i try to benchmark via Forza Horizon 4 (We have detected a driver timeout has occured on your system)

*I was also experiencing screenflicker and some AMD driver timeouts before

*I upgraded my BIOS to 1602. (newest beta) i did try to flash back by converting to ROM file, it wont let me tho.

Memtest64
Aida64
Aida641

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x.
AIO: Corsair h100 Hydro.
GPU: RX 5700 XT 8gb.
MOBO: Asus Rog-strix b550-F Gaming.
Memory: G.skill Tridentz Neo 3600mhz 2x8gb (16-19-19-39)
PSU: Corsair TX650m 80+
SSD: Samsung Evo 860 500gb.
Monitor1(main): AOC Agon G32" 144hz Freesync.
Monitor 2: AOC 27" 144hz Freesync.

In advance, i appreciate the help, thank you.
I hope that i supplied all the info needed.

Best regards
Martin.

Last edited:
Solution
As you mentioned, the route cause of a memory issue could be various things - from bent/broken pins that impact the IMC or traces to the RAM... defective DIMM slots, or even outright defective memory.

Without some trial & error, hardware replacements would be the 'easiest' route to go.
Try reseating the CPU, swapping DIMM slots (not ideal, but a troubleshooting step), using a single DIMM at a time,.... all while running at JEDEC standards 2133/2400MHz (ie no DOCP).

If the issue persists with no DOCP, you can try MemTest86 in a DOS environment (removed from Windows) to get a second opinion. If you get errors at that point, it's almost certainly and issue with the RAM or the slots.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
As you mentioned, the route cause of a memory issue could be various things - from bent/broken pins that impact the IMC or traces to the RAM... defective DIMM slots, or even outright defective memory.

Without some trial & error, hardware replacements would be the 'easiest' route to go.
Try reseating the CPU, swapping DIMM slots (not ideal, but a troubleshooting step), using a single DIMM at a time,.... all while running at JEDEC standards 2133/2400MHz (ie no DOCP).

If the issue persists with no DOCP, you can try MemTest86 in a DOS environment (removed from Windows) to get a second opinion. If you get errors at that point, it's almost certainly and issue with the RAM or the slots.

Reactions: Martin_133
Solution

Martin_133

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017

Thank you for the reply, appreciate it.

Thing is, i did run memtest (in safe boot) before this times reset, and the rams didn't fail. It's like something has broken after this last reset.
Tho this is my first time using Aida64 (i didn't run that before this reset)
I did some overclocking on the ram, and fiddled around with tightening timings etc, without much luck tho. Is it possible that i've broken the ram
by overheating/overvolting? Tho i didn't go over the limit as in what people generally recommended. (soc highest 1.2V and dram 1.4v)

I am currently running A2 and B2 slots.

I will try moving the ram around after you see this.

Martin_133

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017

Important to mention too:

I did run 3Dmark time spy quite a lot in the start, as i was overclocking, and that it could do, and i actually scored around 500 points higher than people with my setup in the end, so it was running.
I always had the "AMD driver timout detected" but that seems to be a normality for many AMD users and it was only once in a while.

Only reason why i did the last resets, was because of the darn microstutter.

VforV

Respectable
BANNED
Oct 9, 2019
Reset to optimzed defaults in the BIOS and reinstall Windows and if that does not work (or you already did that) the best advice I could give you in this situation, since this is getting increasingly more complicated, is to seek professional PC service help.

Even if dozens of people give you advice on forums, in the end you and you alone need to know how to do what others tell you to do and at any point we might be wrong since we don't have the PC in front of us, or you could not do exactly what it needs to be done (human error, not enough info on the issue, etc)... You might even harm your PC (we might too, without wanting). There is only so much inexperience and not seeing the problem 1st hand can help...

This is what I would do if it's getting beyond my competence, I would find a company/or private individual that does this for a living: repair PCs, debugs them, fixes hardware and software.

Reactions: Martin_133

Martin_133

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017
Reset to optimzed defaults in the BIOS and reinstall Windows and if that does not work (or you already did that) the best advice I could give you in this situation, since this is getting increasingly more complicated, is to seek professional PC service help.

Even if dozens of people give you advice on forums, in the end you and you alone need to know how to do what others tell you to do and at any point we might be wrong since we don't have the PC in front of us, or you could not do exactly what it needs to be done (human error, not enough info on the issue, etc)... You might even harm your PC (we might too, without wanting). There is only so much inexperience and not seeing the problem 1st hand can help...

This is what I would do if it's getting beyond my competence, I would find a company/or private individual that does this for a living: repair PCs, debugs them, fixes hardware and software.

Hello again, and thank you, yet again, for your time.

I already did resets, several times, i ran both XMP the overclocks that kind of worked before and optimized defaults, nothing.
You are most likely right, and i already did consider it.. However i always fixed my own PC's and always found a way to do so, but this one, is just... Yeah.. I can't seem to figure out what is wrong. And all the fixes i found, nada.

Think i'll give it one last try tomorrow with fresh reinstall, drivers etc.

Appreciate it tho! I am still open, if someone has experienced this before, and has a fix!

Martin_133

Reputable
Jan 2, 2017
@VforV
@Barty1884

So, i've found the root cause of the problem; one ram stick was defective. I did troubleshooting by swapping DIMS and taking out one stick at a time.

This problem first showed itself in the form of major stutter in BFV in the campaign videos, and also micro stuttering while playing the actual game.
And also with DRAM calculations not working.

I'm creating an RMA as soon as possible, and will be looking for ward to getting some fresh ram sticks.

Thank you very much for your help, i appreciate it and am now looking forward to enjoying my new rig.

Last edited:
Reactions: VforV and Barty1884