New Rig - all bits good?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Another thought:

Do not get that Zalman cpu cooler if you don't plan on overclocking. The stock HSF is more than adequate for ruuning your CPU at its rated speed.

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Those speeds are absolutely possible for a 4400 (individual results will vary, of course!) And in that case, your CPU cooler is an excellent choice. However, you might want to consider running only two sticks of RAM if you're going to OC. I personally have not tried to OC on four sticks, but those who have tried generally say that it is easier w/ 2. It's also easier with matched sticks...

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
Thanks for the warning. Does that apply to all Enermax supplies? I've heard they are one of the best PSU manufacturers. Anyone else have any suggestions, PSU wise? I would be looking for xfire/SLI support, for the future.

I had also heard much good about Enermax. I think it is a very good quality PS, but it just wasn't designed to deliver the current required by the newer GPUs. Clearly, many PS manufacturers are scrambling to provide adequate 12V current for SLI/XFire of the new GPUs. I'm not sure what to recommend - many claim to be SLI/Xfire certified but that was pre-1900/7900. I wouldn't be surprised to see folks using outboard GPU PS's or dual internal PS's.