[SOLVED] New rig at $600 budget, or upgrade current rig with $400 budget.

RaptureWS

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
I do not need anything fancy in terms of looks. The most basic looking stuff is fine.
I am not worried about Ray Tracing, streaming or any fancy graphical features. I don't need High/Ultra settings on everything I play.
I simply want smooth gameplay at 60 FPS that doesn't look like total garbage for the next year or two in games Like Cyberpunk, Doom Eternal, Nioh 2 etc. Is this possible at a strict $600 price point? I have a monitor and KBM and all that. Just need the rig.

OR

My original plan was to upgrade my current PC. Lenovo 10181 mobo, i5-4460, GTX 750ti, 8GB RAM, shitty 500GB hard drive. Not sure on the PSU honestly.

I was going to spend $400 to upgrade it. I did not know how dated my mobo and CPU were though and a lot of people recommended to get a new mobo and CPU, ALONG with maybe a RX 570 and some RAM. I figured just slap a new GPU and some RAM in it and be on my way, but apparently that would not be beneficial.

So what might be better? $600 new rig and sell my current PC for $200.....or just spend the $400 and upgrade what I have? If I can get a moderate and noticeable increase in performance one way or another let me know. If we are splitting hairs at this point, then just tell me we are splitting hairs lol. If you had a good friend with some, but minimal knowledge on PCs, what would you tell them to do? I have installed GPUs, PSU and RAM before but I have never built from the ground up.

The only thing I am pretty set on is having 16 RAM. From what I can gather (since I want to be able to play some high end games) the extra money on 16GB vs 8GB will be worth it to cut a corner somewhere else (GPU or CPU)
Any and all advice is appreciated! Just your average guy with a family on a tight budget trying to get the most bang for my buck.

Solution
Power supply should be replaced if you plan on upgrading the gpu. The power supply in prebuilts is only really adequate for the original config.
PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $339.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-13 03:29 EDT-0400

^This just leaves the matter of how much further you'll be able to get by on the old quad core until you can replace it too...

Or, there's the following, if you can successfully sell the current...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Power supply should be replaced if you plan on upgrading the gpu. The power supply in prebuilts is only really adequate for the original config.
PCPartPicker Part List

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB SC ULTRA GAMING Video Card ($239.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Corsair)
Total: $339.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-13 03:29 EDT-0400

^This just leaves the matter of how much further you'll be able to get by on the old quad core until you can replace it too...

Or, there's the following, if you can successfully sell the current for that price - don't ask, I have no idea how much you'd actually be able to get for it.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($124.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($61.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Intel 660p 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($62.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 570 4 GB RS XXX Video Card ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($52.98 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.29 @ Amazon)
Total: $582.21
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-13 03:44 EDT-0400

Solution