[SOLVED] New Rig build, x570 or B550 MSI Tomahawk

mystblade

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2013
My current rig is a 4770k, 780ti, Asus Maximus VI, I had a Vega 64 but it died a couple months ago.

Now you see my pain as it was at the worst time possible for it to die.

However I have secured a RX6800 by pure luck on AMD's site. So why not build around the card.

I think I am set on going with an AMD CPU, but my crossroads is the chipset of the x570 or the B550. The X570 is about a 100 bucks more. I do plan on putting a 5950x in it eventually but will start out with something like a 3600 to get me up and going. I am concerned that the B550 can't handle the 5950x with only a heatsink on the VRM, thoughts?

Solution
By the time you get ready to upgrade to a 5950x, I'm sure they will be something a lot better?

I know we love having the best chips, but I never see any point to buy a 3950x or 5950x (unless your makin more money by not waiting).

Seems crazy to me to blow whole build budgets on your CPU + cooler.........

B550 have some good boards, I have seen a lot get clsoe to the x570 pricing though. I went x570 based on the prices for middle grade boards not being huge different in prices when I looked.

Good luck!

sonofjesse

Distinguished
By the time you get ready to upgrade to a 5950x, I'm sure they will be something a lot better?

I know we love having the best chips, but I never see any point to buy a 3950x or 5950x (unless your makin more money by not waiting).

Seems crazy to me to blow whole build budgets on your CPU + cooler.........

B550 have some good boards, I have seen a lot get clsoe to the x570 pricing though. I went x570 based on the prices for middle grade boards not being huge different in prices when I looked.

Good luck!

Solution