Question New rig but still getting same low FPS issues ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 6, 2022
So I'm having a very frustrating time in the PC world.

On my old rig with a GTX 1070 I played games like Fortnite, CS:GO, lots of shooters no problem. Ran them around 120 frames on 1920x1080 on my Gsync 144Hz monitor.
All of a sudden, out of the blue my games started running terribly with jerks, tears, and I could hardly reach 50 frames on Fortnite, a game that ran on Ultimate settings no problem.
My dumbass thought buying a new GPU would solve all my problems so I bought an EVGA RTX 3060 ti. If anything this made things worse, I thought maybe my CPU was bottlenecking the new GPU (which I think it does a little but not this bad)
Old rigs CPU was an i7-4790k. I also suspected the PSU going bad, was a 650W, plenty of juice for the 3060 ti though.
So I having bought a GPU already decided to go with NZXT's Foundation PC. A prebuilt that comes with onboard graphics on the CPU and has better RAM, MOBO, and CPU (as well as an NVME hard drive, I previously had two SSD's)

To my dismay, the new PC ran everything the same as my old rig.

• I tried both cards in the new rig and they performed the same as before. The only parts that carried over from my old rig were the GPU's and the SSD's.
  • I've tried running the games with just the NVME and disconnected the Sata cables to my old SSD's.
  • Made sure I'm running the monitor to the GPU before anyone asks :p
  • Tried multiple monitors/cables
  • Tried different power outlets, did a fresh install of windows on my old SSD's before I swapped over
  • Uninstalled/reinstalled clean installed drivers

I'm at a complete loss my friends, and am entirely stumped. This defies all my (limited) knowledge of PC's.
I've posted on here before for my initial issues when I purchased the 3060 ti, as well as other forums, never got close to a solution there.

This is a link to NZXT's Foundation PC that I purchased to try to remedy my sitation, the SPECS are right there. https://nzxt.com/product/foundation-pc-h510-edition
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, I'm at my wits end.

Edit: Another strange detail I meant to include was that VR seems to be running better than standard games on the new rig. Don't know if that helps but worth mentioning.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not drivers. You want the bios update files specific to your motherboard, not the graphics drivers. Those are for APU with Vega graphics. Your 5600G graphics are fine.

Amd has had some issues with USB disconnects, which includes mice and keyboards. They've been working on fixes. What you'll need is your current bios version number, goto the motherboard vendor support website, downloads, bios/utilities. There look for your bios version and go newer. But be careful, you have a 5600G and that requires media files also, as well as the bios updates, so READ all the notes on newer versions for any that say you should install media files first. Follow those directions to the letter, most likely you may need to update the bios several times.

The bios file number necessary as minimum final update you're looking for is a BIOS update that includes the line: "Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.2."

That version contains the USB connectivity fixes.

And no, nzxt and others generally don't update bios files, as those are included with whatever motherboard is used and equipped at manufacture date. So it's very easy to get bios versions a year or more out of date as that's when the board was built.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tofu_Joe
Mar 6, 2022
Not drivers. You want the bios update files specific to your motherboard, not the graphics drivers. Those are for APU with Vega graphics. Your 5600G graphics are fine.

Amd has had some issues with USB disconnects, which includes mice and keyboards. They've been working on fixes. What you'll need is your current bios version number, goto the motherboard vendor support website, downloads, bios/utilities. There look for your bios version and go newer. But be careful, you have a 5600G and that requires media files also, as well as the bios updates, so READ all the notes on newer versions for any that say you should install media files first. Follow those directions to the letter, most likely you may need to update the bios several times.

The bios file number necessary as minimum final update you're looking for is a BIOS update that includes the line: "Update AMD AM4 AGESA V2 PI 1.2.0.2."

That version contains the USB connectivity fixes.

And no, nzxt and others generally don't update bios files, as those are included with whatever motherboard is used and equipped at manufacture date. So it's very easy to get bios versions a year or more out of date as that's when the board was built.
Thanks I'll give this a shot tomorrow