New rig, confused about Win8 "upgrade offer"

tsld32

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Hi everyone. I am very confused. Please help.

I have XP (32-bit) installed on my laptop. I'm about to order parts for a new rig and I want to install Win8 (64-bit) on it, and ideally get it for the $70 promo price. I also want to be able to reformat whenever I want (I usually reformat once or twice a year).

My main question is: what is the easiest, lowest-hassle way to get Windows 8 x64 on my new rig? (I'm assuming the answer is just to get a brand-new Win8 x64 OEM for $100, but I'd rather not spend that $30 (or $40 with Amazon's promo code) if I don't have to.)

Further information:

The product page on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-3UR-00001-Windows-8-Professional/dp/B008H3SW4I) says that going from 32- to 64-bit is possible, I just won't be able to keep files (not a problem). This contradicts information I heard elsewhere that the "upgrade paths" only allow you to upgrade to the same architecture.

So, if Amazon will be sending me a disc -- which is what it will apparently do (given that there is a "product dimensions" figure) -- what exactly will be on that disc? How will I know whether it's 32 or 64? (There's no option that I see.) Will I have to install XP on my new rig, and THEN use the Win8 disc to upgrade it? I just have no clue what any of this is about at this point.

I also don't see much of anything in the way of helpful information on Microsoft's website; it's mostly just the $15 upgrade-from-recently-bought-Win7 stuff.

I'd just as soon pay the $40 or $70 or whatever to Microsoft to download Win8 and burn it to disc, but because of the conflicting information I'm not sure they'd let me download the 64-version.

Thanks for reading, and any help is appreciated!

pauls3743

Distinguished
Upgrade - an inplace upgrade can only be done from the previous generation OS to the next e.g. 7 to 8. Anything older involves a clean install. Also, any architecture changes (32 to 64 or 64 to 32) involve a clean install as well. This can be carried out by an upgrade disc.

Personally - I'm not getting Windows 8 until they fix the Start and hidden menus, even if that means skipping it altogether.

tsld32

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
I'm fine with doing a clean install every time, and actually that is what I want.

So let's say I get the upgrade disc. Would I have to install XP on the new rig and THEN use the disc to go to Win8? And would I have to do this every time?

My brother's also getting a rig and has no way of getting his Vista off his laptop onto the new rig. So the only way this can work for him is if you can use the upgrade disc to just install Win8 on the new rig without a preexisting OS on it. Is this the case? (Otherwise it sounds like we'll have to just buy the regular OEM versions.)

pauls3743

Distinguished
I'm no expert as I normally use full retail products but I believe that the upgrade disc checks for an existing install on the computer first, and then asks for your previous install disc, if it cannot find it. So installing XP first should work.

It should be noted that your brother's laptop has an OEM install which would not activate on the new computer, even if you could copy it across.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
You do not need to install XP first to do a clean install with the $15 upgrade, HOWEVER you need to have a LEGAL COA with product key. It's not clear whether or not they'll be asking for it during the install process or not, but as with Windows upgrades in the past you still will need to provide it.

The last time I bought an upgrade was from Win98 to WinME. I used my upgrade disc to do many clean installs but it always asked for my Win98 product key during the install process along with the WinME install product key, just to confirm that it was legally done.

Now, since there's tons of illegal keys floating around now, who's to say that the Win8 upgrade won't phone home activation-style to check your Win7/Vista/XP product key? Only time will tell.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
Your new rig requires an OEM or FULL version of Win8. You would only qualify for the upgrade version for your laptop, since it already has a licensed version of Windows on it.

Each computer requires its own licensed copy of Windows. This is unlock certain software titles, like Office, that you can install on two computers.

If you are going to buy Win8 immediately, you just need to be sure your new hardware will have drivers for it. It seems to take up to 6 months for vendors to release stable drivers for a new OS.

tsld32

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
Oh, that's a good point -- and I'm still relatively new to homebuilt rigs. What, besides the video card (and I'm assuming audio drivers on the mobo) will I need to look for? It seems my video card already has Win8 drivers but I'm not sure about the rest.

Reverend_Mason

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
When you buy tech support at Best Buy they'll give you a copy of Windows 8 for free and install it free with the tech support if that floats your boat...of course tech support is still $100 bucks and that's only if you buy a new computer.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
OEM versions of Windows 8 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

Hi :)

A NEW COMPUTER ...NOT parts...

All the best Brett :)

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

Best Buy, tech support, those two never mix...

tsld32

Honorable
Oct 7, 2012
I've been using Win8 RP 64-bit (on my laptop which isn't optimized for 64) and it's running quite well, only issue is occasional freezeups for 60 seconds or so, but like I said the new rig should be more than enough and it's only the RP anyway.

I know it's heretical but I actually quite like Win8, it's fast even on my 2-3 year old laptop and I don't seem to be missing anything that other users talk about (all I really do is internet, movies, and games, no programming/coding/editing/anything like that).

Thus, Win8 seems to work well for what I want. And I'm looking at keeping my rig for at least 4-5 years (hopefully) and some preliminary benchmarking suggests that performance-wise Win8 is on par with Win7, and apparently drivers only get more efficient with time.

So yes, I'm sorry to say but I think I'll go with 8. Unfortunately it's looking like we'll have to just get a regular OEM copy on the website, I think trying to fiddle with the upgrade paths is too much hassle...

Reverend_Mason

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

99% of the time I agree with you..but every once in awhile you find a store that hire people that actually know what they're talking about...it's very rare though. Like a double rainbow.

Windows 8 is great Microsoft does not need to change a thing. And it is no Vista infact Vista was no "Vista". The only problem Vista had was hardware manufactures not getting drivers out in a timely order. Had they done that it would have been completely different.

As far as Windows 8 goes it gives you faster boot times, faster shutdown times, programs and games start faster, it is faster and easier to find and start any program or game you want though the Metro screen. The difference for me is I actually used Windows 8 instead of just listening to the bull *** on the net and never trying it. In all respects it is much better than Windows 7 and that is before any service packs. Microsoft will never change Windows 8 to look like Windows 8 never. So if that is what you are waiting for you are just out of luck! With any luck we will get a good amount of games that run on Windows 8 only and you can sit back and watch everyone else play them!

I would not let Best Buy tech support touch my 10 year old alarm clock let alone any of my Computers as I would actually want them to work!

Reverend_Mason

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Everyone hates where I work...we aren't all bad at our jobs...actually the store I work at gets many a compliment for our work. The other stores in our district though? .....well put it this way, any question more complicated than a "What cable do I plug here" comes to us.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Regarding best buy, some guys are good at what they do I'm sure. I interviewed at one a couple years back, the guy who would have been my boss looked younger than me, I have a 4 year degree for IT, had worked in a school system for 2.5 years(was getting laid off and needed some type of work). I was also even Mac Certified at the time, they didn't even call me back. Just tells me that they don't want to pay their people much, which means some of the people they get may have no clue of what they are doing. Though some are probably very good techs.

First, on using an UPGRADE version. The requirement is Must have a qualifying version on windows for the Computer that you are using the installing the Upgrade OS to. For Vista and Windows 7, DOES NOT have to be installed. Secondly, MS does NOT require validation of previous version; they are relying on individual integrity. To do this you must select custom install, then either use the double install method, or the preferred method which involves a simple registry edit plus running a dos cmd (also simple). YOU can NOT legally use an upgrade version if YOU do NOT own (as stated does not have to be installed) if you do NOT own the qualifying OS for that machine.
DO NOT know if this will be carried over to win 8, Think it will be. PS you can not put the UPgrade key in during the install, it can ONly be put in (1) first method - on the 2nd instal, and 92) in the Edit method the key is use AFTER the registry edit and the Does Rearm cmd.

Your friend moving to 1 computer with vista on it to a new machine does NOT qualify unless his old Machine is pitched into the trash, or sold WITOUT vista installed and he keeps the Vista Disk. MOST “store Bought systems are an OEM version which mean the OLD machine must DIE.

2nd. On your laptop that you are going from XP 32 bit -> 64 bit OS. I’m guessing that you are planning on increasing your laptop memory to more than 4 gigs of ram. There is NO real benefit for 64 bit OS over 32 bit if Memory (RAM) is 4 or less gigs.

3rd. On windows 8, Tried it removed from laptop and pitched the disk in the trash. Windows 8 is great for tablets and laptops used as if they were a tablet. The verdict is still out as to if Windows 8 will join Windows ME and Vista. MS generates most of their sales from three groups; (1) OEM versions sold with New systems – No change here, good or Bad as for store bought you get what is being sold. (2) The business community. Here my impression (reading financial articles) is NOT good and looks like the Business community will skip this for laptops/desktops but will use for tablets. Problem here is that tablets are NOT a replacement for Laptops. (3) From upgrade sales, but this is highly dependent on perceptions. The average Joe Blow is not going to upgrade their “store” bought system. This leaves the “Roll Your Own” which is a rather much smaller segment. However; recent Polls done here on Tom’s seem to favor keeping Windows 7.

4th. On OEM versions – Only real drawback is it can NOT be transferred to a New system (or upgraded MB). The OLD system, or MB must Die inorder to transfer. On re-installing the OS on the Orginal system – NO PROBLEM. If you do it to frequently (ie around the 5th time, You may have to call MS – But outside of calling NOT an issue. Have done it several times and NOT had to even call.

floepie

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008

Sources? What do you mean by "on windows"? How do you know that W8 Upgrade does NOT require a previous install? Are you making an exception for XP, that is, if your previous Windows version is XP, is *does* need to be pre-installed?

From what I understand, W8 upgrades are an entirely different animal from W7. The information here may apply to W7 upgrades, but do you know if any of that applies to a W8 upgrade, and why do you suspect it will be similar?

floepie

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008

Is the first line above accurate? I'm currently under the assumption from various blogs that there are NO "Full License Retail" versions. Anything you can find in the store will ALWAYS be an "upgrade" version requiring a previous install of W7 or prior OS. The only way to obtain a "full version" is to get the OEM/System Builders version from various sources online at a higher cost.

And, the only differences between the hard copy in the stores of the upgrade version and that which can be purchased/downloaded from MS are 1.) price ($70 and $40, respectively) and 2.) slipstreaming of the license key, which allows you to avoid having to enter the key. Whether that will be slipstreamed onto the actual DVD you can burn at home with the downloaded upgrade remains to be seen, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it WILL be. In other words, what I burn at home will be a slightly different ISO from someone else who downloads the upgrade, differing only in the key burned to the disc.