[SOLVED] New rig damaged?

May 16, 2020
Hi,

recently I’ve bought a new PC and built it from scratch. Ryzen 3950x, TUF x570 WiFi, RTX 2070 Super, NZXT z63 kraken, corsair rm750x, 2x 1tb NVMe ssd, 64GB Vengeance 3200MHz RAM. After assembly, it turned on and everything was working as expected. I entered BIOS for about 15min trying to create NVMe array, then suddenly the PC shut off and I couldn’t turn it on. Only RGB light on mobo and ram would light up, no fans would spin, not even on PSU. I tried using different PSU, from my old PC and it did seem to work, mobo fan would spin, and PSU‘s fan also would work, but the moment I connect z63 via sata power, no fans spin. I had very faint white smoke show up, not sure where from. What could have caused it? Everything was detected in bios and every part seemed to be functioning as well. Temps were under 40.

What should I do now?

Solution
White smoke came maybe from psu or that cable that is shorting.

Have latest bios ? Before trying to adjust all kind of voltages. Maybe a clear cmos might already help since it's already put through it's paces.

For those voltages and temps, just look at some reviews and maybe overclocking tutorials.
@veryjar
My feeling is you overheated the CPU. Perhaps the kraken pump was not working or something, but that is just a wild guess.

What to do?

When a system won't boot, the first thing I do is simplify. Take everything off that you can until you are down to just a CPU, MB, and 1 stick of RAM (yes, you wont have anything on screen, but you can still tell if it's booting ... kinda). It would be lovely if you could also use a stock heatsink or something similar so you see the fans spinning. If it looks like that is booting, then add a GPU. Slowly add one component at a time until it wont boot. What ever you added last is probably the issue.

If it won't boot with just CPU, MB, and 1 stick of RAM, then the issue is probably with one of those.

Hope that helps.

May 16, 2020
@veryjar
My feeling is you overheated the CPU. Perhaps the kraken pump was not working or something, but that is just a wild guess.

What to do?

When a system won't boot, the first thing I do is simplify. Take everything off that you can until you are down to just a CPU, MB, and 1 stick of RAM (yes, you wont have anything on screen, but you can still tell if it's booting ... kinda). It would be lovely if you could also use a stock heatsink or something similar so you see the fans spinning. If it looks like that is booting, then add a GPU. Slowly add one component at a time until it wont boot. What ever you added last is probably the issue.

If it won't boot with just CPU, MB, and 1 stick of RAM, then the issue is probably with one of those.

Hope that helps.
Z63 was showing temps of around 35 on its screen, same was fed to a BIOS and AIO’s RPM was in range of 800-1200. When using old PSU just with RAM and mobo and CPU, it does seem to boot. With new RM750x it won’t when plugged in to CPU 8 and mobo 24 pin, only ram’s rgb lights up. But when I add SATA power cables for fan controller AIO it won’t boot even on older PSU

May 16, 2020
Okay, so I just accessed bios, only used gpu, mobo, cpu and ram. Everything’s detected, I used old PSU, same configuration on new PSU doesn’t do much. Only RGB light on mobo and RAM lights up and there is a very faint click and PSU’s fan moves like 1mm, and that‘s it. So the fault must be with new PSU? It seems something is wrong with Fans controller in H510i Elite, when I connect it to the working PSU, the whole PC won’t turn on.

May 16, 2020
Okay, I was able to connect everything back up, I saw one of the fan cables had the plastic shaved off and metal wires were exposed and touching the metal tower. Perhaps that triggered some safety feature or caused damage to new PSU. I replaced that fan and I was able to connect every single thing back on and have it work using my old PSU. New PSU, nothing. I ordered a new PSU, HX850i, hopefully it will be all working. Not sure what the smoking was about, perhaps some thermal paste leaked out?

One last question, in BIOS when I notice CPU temps and vddcr, they are at 45 and 1.480V respectively. Everything is set at default. That seems quite high. Liquid temps are under 30 as per Z63 and mobo temp 32. Those idle temps and voltages must be too high, right? This is my first AMD processor, how should I go about down-clocking it so I don’t damage it.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
White smoke came maybe from psu or that cable that is shorting.

Have latest bios ? Before trying to adjust all kind of voltages. Maybe a clear cmos might already help since it's already put through it's paces.

For those voltages and temps, just look at some reviews and maybe overclocking tutorials.

Solution