New rig, games crashing

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Hi,

Just built a new rig (see signature) and re-installed a few titles. The problem is, none of the newer games are launching. They just keep crashing. Here's an example of GTA V:
Problem signature:
"GTA V has stopped working
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: GTA5.exe
Application Version: 1.0.393.4
Application Timestamp: 55a62e42
Fault Module Name: nvwgf2umx.dll
Fault Module Version: 10.18.13.5560
Fault Module Timestamp: 55c422c2
Exception Code: c000001d
Exception Offset: 0000000000a51b45
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 1b2c
Additional Information 2: 1b2c1089aa65406897f415c729d8aa56
Additional Information 3: 510b
Additional Information 4: 510b6937bff78c5baf8a7edb0b549109"

This is the error I'm getting for Arkham Knight and Dying Light as well. I was able to run Arkham City for a good hour before voluntarily shutting it down. I've tried different CPU OC settings as well (from 4.9 to stock). Arkham City was being run at 4.8 without any problems.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
You could try reverting to an older driver.

More specifically I was wanting to know what cooler you have on your CPU. The amount of voltage you are running is going to get your CPU very hot unless you have a high end cooler on your CPU.

A side note, auto voltage settings tend to over volt your CPU. If you set your voltages manually, you could more than likely get your CPU running at 4.8 with a lower voltage, and lower the amount of heat produced a little bit.

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009

System specs are in the signature. Posting here:
CPU: i7-6700K@4.9Ghz (Currently at 4.4, for safe keeping)
CPU Cooler: CM Seidon 120V
Mobo: MSI Z170 GamingM7
GPU: ASUS OC'd GTX670 DCII
RAM: GSKILL 16GBDDR4
PSU: CM700W Real Power
Hard Disk: Kingston 120GB SSD (System only) +Barracuda 2Tb HDD@7200
Tower: CM 431Plus
Display: Dell 22" Full HD
Mouse: SteelSeries Sensei Gaming Mouse
Headset: Sennheiser PC363D

I was running 4.8GHz at 1.32V, which was stable for an overnight downloading session. Will be sticking to this at max. The mobo has an auto voltage control function and sets the voltage accordingly. I doubt if this is the issue, but thoughts are welcome.

I'm running the setup in an air conditioned room, with ambient temp's around 29-30. There are 5 fans in the case, plus two on the GPU.

rowdymoody

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
You could try reverting to an older driver.

More specifically I was wanting to know what cooler you have on your CPU. The amount of voltage you are running is going to get your CPU very hot unless you have a high end cooler on your CPU.

A side note, auto voltage settings tend to over volt your CPU. If you set your voltages manually, you could more than likely get your CPU running at 4.8 with a lower voltage, and lower the amount of heat produced a little bit.

Solution
If you have graphics or driver issues, one of the most common fixes is a clean uninstall and removal of your graphics drivers.

To uninstall your drivers, first download and run Display Driver Uninstaller, and follow it's recommendations of booting into safe mode and ect.
(This is a direct download link so you don't grab the wrong version)
http://www.guru3d.com/files-get/display-driver-uninstaller-download,20.html

You'll download a compressed file called "[Guru3D.com]-DDU.zip"
Right click and choose extract.
Go into the folder and run the DDU v##.##.exe
This will extract more files to this folder.
Run Display Driver Uninstaller.exe
Choose Yes when it asks you to boot into SafeMode.
After you've rebooted into safe mode.
When DDU comes up, if it hasn't selected your GPU manufacturer (Nvidia/AMD/Intel) then choose it from the drop down list
Press the Clean and Restart option
If a window comes up asking to disable the Windows automatic installation of display drivers click yes.

After (or before removing the old drivers, just put the new ones on the desktop or somewhere handy) rebooting back into Windows, manually download the latest drivers from Nvidia or AMD, don't use auto detect, choose you GPU model and OS from the drop down lists.
Nvidia: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
AMD: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

namelessonez

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Thanks for the help! The issue was the driver version. I reverted to a version lower and everything was running perfectly on the 670!

Upgraded the card to an Asus 980ti and sticking with the same driver version. Everything's running silky smooth! Whatta card!! FPS in GTA V is above 60 on highest settings (with occasional dips to the mid 50's). Arkham Knight is a stable 31 (due to the FPS cap?) and running very smoothly.

Also, I'm keeping the CPU at 4.4 as the higher OC'ing was resulting is blue screen crashes. May be a PSU issue? Will tinker with that in time....gonna enjoy the card for now! :)

Thanks for all the help!

rowdymoody

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013

Good deal! When overclocking CPU, a blue screen generally means that you are not getting enough voltage to run stable. In which case you need to increase the voltage.

TRENDING THREADS