new rig help

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
The Opteron will work with that board.

What are the specs on your power supply and which video card are you going to use?

That RAM should be fine even though it is not listed on the DFI page I gave you. However, I have heard that this board can be real picky when it comes to RAM.

If you bought the motherboard in it's retail boxed form it will come with a pair of IDE cables, 1 Floppy disk cable, and a pair of SATA cables.

The board will come with THE SATA driver either already on a floppy disk, or there will be program on the driver disk that allows you to make a SATA floppy driver disk. However, you shouldn't need to use them if you don't plan on using the RAID feature of your board. If you are going to use the RAID feature, YOU WILL NEED A FLOPPY DISK DRIVE!!

Also, BEFORE PUTITNG ANYTHING TOGETHER...PLEASE READ THE MOTHERBOARD MANUAL COVER TO COVER...TWICE!!!! They make great bathroom reading material.

livingrock21

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Thanks anoobis! You guys have been a big help, and I'll give you an update once its all together, and I run a few benchmark, and memory tests... Hopefully new egg will get everything here timely.. I got overnight, so I'll prob. get it monday hopefully. I get my lcd tomorrow.

livingrock21

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Alright, I have another question for you all. I know your prob. getting tired of me...

The case that I currently have, I'd like to keep. It will work, but I'm kind of concerned with the powersupply. It's a 400w powersupply, is this going to be ample enough for my new system (overclocked)?

-Radeon X800GTO2
-LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner W/LightScribe and 5X DVD-RAM Write Black ATAPI/E-IDE
-CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model Twinx2048-3200c2pt
-AMD Opteron 165 Denmark 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor
-Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200KS 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
-DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboar

Thanks guys...

:edit:
I know you already asked anoobis (about what power supply I was intending to use), I just gought caught up in everything else.

livingrock21

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Uggghhh.... Getting frustrated, I knew this would happen.. It's just my luck. The ram (CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model Twinx2048-3200c2pt) I bought for $197 on newegg friday mourning, is now $40 cheaper.. Does anyone know if they offer a credit for this sort of situation! Thanks again everyone..

livingrock21

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
uggghhhhhhh... really getting frustrated, If I do have to buy a new psu, I midas well buy a whole new case... Which case from newegg (remember I'm on a very tight budget now) would be ample (such as airflow, and psu)... please help...

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I'm prob. getting annoying, I'm just the type of guy that wants to get the most bang for my buck.

Lets say I ge the opteron 165, which mb would be best to overclock it?? Remember I'm on a budget, the only requirements are sata II, and firewire. Please help! I'm getting a little frustraded... I think I may go with the opteron.

Regarding bang per buck and annoyance: not a problem to me but realize that this is not a world of absolutes. AMD alone has so many CPUs that capabilities overlap and also realize that if you OC'ed a dozen 4200+ chips, they would not all optimize identically.

As for the best mobo to OC an AMD, people seem to like Asus and DFI the most. Remember the adage that the mobo is the foundation - one philosophy is to spend a bit extra on it in case you decide to upgrade in the future. Good luck, this one's your decision.