[SOLVED] New rig, looking for compatibility advice

Mar 28, 2020
Hello everyone!

I'm hoping I can get some advice about compatibility, I've put the parts together for a new gaming rig I'd like to build using my current CPU (i5-7400 with stock cooler) and SSD. The thing I'm unsure about is the compatibility of the GPU and motherboard, the GPU I'm looking at is the MSI Radeon RX 5700 8GB to go with the ASUS prime H270-Plus, the motherboard states that it has a PCI express 3.0 (GEN 3) and the GPU says "interface - PCI Express 4.0" under its specifications, will this cause issues?

Here is a link to the build for any other feedback - Parts list

Thank you for the help in advance I really appreciate it!

Nworthy

Solution
The RX 5700 is backwards compatible with PCI Express 3.0 so you don't have to worry about it.

I would strongly suggest that you buy a dual kit RAM (8GBx2) to take advantage of the dual channel capabilities for performance increase.

I highly recommend that you change the PSU as well, especially for the RX 5700. You can read about it more here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...t-to-avoid-and-psu-discussion-thread.3212332/

You could go for a Corsair, Seasonic, EVGA and BeQuiet! as these brands are among the best in their class for PSU's. Do take a precaution though, as not all of their models perform as good and have been a hit or miss, so I would do more research on what is...

Cem Goker

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2013
The RX 5700 is backwards compatible with PCI Express 3.0 so you don't have to worry about it.

I would strongly suggest that you buy a dual kit RAM (8GBx2) to take advantage of the dual channel capabilities for performance increase.

I highly recommend that you change the PSU as well, especially for the RX 5700. You can read about it more here: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...t-to-avoid-and-psu-discussion-thread.3212332/

You could go for a Corsair, Seasonic, EVGA and BeQuiet! as these brands are among the best in their class for PSU's. Do take a precaution though, as not all of their models perform as good and have been a hit or miss, so I would do more research on what is available in your market and make your choices based on the thread I linked as well. The 650 Watt for PSU is a great choice.

Reactions: Nworthy
Solution