Question New Rig New Problems...

Guts28

Honorable
Oct 31, 2015
Ok ill try to make this as brief as possible not that there's much to explain anyway haha
I recently bought a motherboard Asus z490P, and an i7 10700k, I installed it as well a brand new version of Windows 10 pro and everything seems to work fine but my computer restarts randomly no idea why... and this one last time it restarted but it didn't it just stayed on but with ALL fans at FULL SPEED no idea why.. I turned it off by unplugging it, I plug it back in and I enter to the bios and computer works but I'm afraid of keep using it (not that I can if it restart randomly)

NOTE: I did had to use an adapter for the 4pin connector for the cpu as I only had available an 8 pin (x2 of 4) for cpu.

Here is my full specs: gtx 1080 - x2 16gb crucial ballistic - M2 nvme 256gb (where OS is installed) - 4tb HDD WD blue - PSU Azza 650w 80+ bronze - (already mentioned the cpu and board)

Any ideas? I was gonna try update bios but I'm afraid to do so if the system restarts randomly while updating BIOS could risk to damage it as far as I understand.

Thanks in advance!

Lutfij

Titan
See if you can source a donor PSU that's reliably built(the PSU you have doesn't inspire much confidence) from a friend or neighbor and see if the system you have reboots when taxed. Are you on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard? To test out, you can go into BIOS and remain there indefinitely. If the system doesn't reboot while in BIOS, you can try and update the BIOS but that PSU needs to be replaced.

What version of Windows 10 are you on? At the time of writing we're on 20H2. Which slots are the rams populating in the board?

FYI, if the PSU you have doesn't have the necessary connectors for your components, you either have the wrong PSU for the job or the wrong board for the build. I'm leaning towards the wrong PSU.

Guts28

Honorable
Oct 31, 2015
OK first of all thanks A LOT for taking your time to reply to my issue.
Now I have another PSU but is 550w 80+ bronze NZXT fully modular that's the one I was using prior the cpu+board upgrade... I also checked and most PSU just don't have x12 4 pin connectors they're all have x8 (1 pair of 4) no idea if 80+ gold have that amount but there is no way I can afford one of those.... u can imagine the cpu and board I recently bought weren't cheap hahaha (specially here in Argentina with all it's taxes add up)

I did tried to let the BIOS on for a while (like an hour or so) and it didn't restart and was considering trying update the bios like u said but I'm still bit concern about doing that I know bios shouldn't take much time to install but I dunno either way I find it weird that the BIOS could be the issue here (although I dunno any better which is why I'm here lol)

I will unplug the graphics card, use onboard graphics and plug in the NZXT psu and see whats up (550w should be enough for the components minus the gpu I think)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I read in several forums that the 8pin is more then enough for juice the 10700k and the extra 4pin isn't really needed any thoughts on that?

Here is a SS of the voltages from HWmonitor:
xxx.png

Last edited:

Guts28

Honorable
Oct 31, 2015
I tried diff power supplies, updated bios, I ran out of ideas... I will try to return it to the shop. Someone told me the motherboard itself could be shorted.