New Rig, New Problems

Skeletore

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
I recently decided to invest in updating my computer. I basically gutted it out and replaced most of the parts except for my harddrive and power supply.

My Hardware:

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
CPU: AMD FX 8120 8-Core 3.1GHz (black edition)
RAM: 16GB DDR3
GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB
Power Supply: 600+ Watt (Update: Power Supply in my tower reads MAX 581W, Brand is Retail Plus.)

I had someone install all of these parts for me in my existing tower with my current power supply. He told me that I didn't have enough connectors to hook up my power supply and that I needed a 6pin-molex adapter. I used my old GeForce 9800 in my computer until I had found the adapter. A few days later I got one from a friend, I hooked it up and everything booted up fine. I installed the drivers for my GPU and Motherboard. Not too long after installing them I started getting a small box pop up in the corner of my screen with a caution symbol and the message "+3.3V voltage 3.672 V". The message shortly fades away and will show up again every so often at random times. It can be as frequent as every 30 seconds to hours between. On top of this I noticed that one of the red LED lights on my motherboard is lit (besides the standby power LED). I looked it up in my motherboards manual and it says it's the BOOT_DEVICE_LED. It also said "If an error is found the critical components LED stays lit up until the problem is solved.

I am planning on getting another GPU of the same model to crossfire with, as well as get a new power supply to handle the load (and that has the correct amount of connections so I don't need adapters). But at the moment I have no idea what these errors mean, I have a feeling that it is referring to the power going to my GPU currently, but I'm not sure what steps I should take to fix the issue. Is there anything I should be doing to maybe prevent any other issues? I'm just wondering if this error is something I should really worry about at the moment, or if it's something not so serious. I usually feel unsure about anything concerning voltage and power. Also I have no idea what the BOOT_DEVICE_LED is on for, or what error that could be.. The manual reffers to them as POST State LEDs. My computer powers on and runs very well without any sign of issue except for those 2 things. Nothing seems to be affected at the moment. Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Also, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section, I wasn't sure where else to put it.

Thanks!

Skeletore

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013
I'm not completely sure.. The technician i brought it to said it was 650 watt and that it was above the specs for my GFX card. My father had owned the computer previously and the same place had installed that power supply but told him it was a 700 Watt. When I looked in the case I don't see that it says 600 or 700 anywhere.

I just opened it up my case and took a look at it... It in fact isn't either of those.. It says MAX 581W. It is also a Retail Plus power supply... The kind you can find at staples. Let me know if there's any more information needed.