[SOLVED] New rig or update GPU?

Oct 30, 2020
Hi all,

I need your advice to decide if my old rig would be worth it to upgrade the GPU. I bough my computer 9 year ago and i dont know if the old parts would bottleneck a RTX 2060 in any way?

Motherboard P8Z77-V LX2 (PCI Express 3.0 x16 enable)
CPU i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz, 3401 MHz, 4 cores, 8 threads (bought 9 year ago)
SSD 500 GB
16 GB RAM
GTX 770
PSU COUGAR SX850 COUGAR-SX850 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI (bought 9 year ago)

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Even with the RTX 2060 you should get great performance out of it... sure you'll get lower framerates compared to more modern chips, but it should run great.
Those 8 Sandy Bridge threads still have some life in them, but you should do some overclocking to squeeze everything out of it. These chips should do 4.5 GHz OC without problems, but that'll require a custom cooling solution... intel's stock cooler is a no no for overclocking.

Before making the upgrade though, I'll strongly recommend getting a new PSU with the RTX 2060... 9 years is way past it's time. You won't need more than 650W from a great quality unit... 550W will do fine too, but with further OCing more headroom won't hurt.

Check this PSU tier list and, depending on...

jasonf2

Distinguished
The 2060 would be bottlenecked, but how much is really difficult to say and your target monitor is really the determining factor. If you are using a 1080 60hz monitor the upgrade will push that with no problems. If you are wanting 120+ hz and/or 4k the best case for that card is https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Nvidia-RTX-2060/Rating/4034 on much newer cpus . With that in mind the 2060 isn't at best case going to solidly provide 1:1 frame to refresh ratio in all games on an ultra high refresh rate monitor or 4k regardless of cpu.

Even with the RTX 2060 you should get great performance out of it... sure you'll get lower framerates compared to more modern chips, but it should run great.
Those 8 Sandy Bridge threads still have some life in them, but you should do some overclocking to squeeze everything out of it. These chips should do 4.5 GHz OC without problems, but that'll require a custom cooling solution... intel's stock cooler is a no no for overclocking.

Before making the upgrade though, I'll strongly recommend getting a new PSU with the RTX 2060... 9 years is way past it's time. You won't need more than 650W from a great quality unit... 550W will do fine too, but with further OCing more headroom won't hurt.

Check this PSU tier list and, depending on the availability in your country, get something from either Tier A or B:

Solution