New rig performing way below expectations

Aug 5, 2018
I recently built a new gaming PC from scratch and it keeps cutting out during gameplay. I first tried The Witcher 3 and of course the infamous Nvidia HairWorks was too much. However it has cut out playing GTA V as well, and I really don't feel like I'm pushing it hard at all.

According to the graphics menu I am using approx 2760MB of my available 8GB vRAM. This is after I have turned down all the textures from default Very High to High. The only things I have increased are the refresh rate to 144hz, (because my monitor is capable of it, don't know if this affects performance), and Advanced Distance Scaling (because I hate things suddenly appearing out of nowhere.)

The PC has cut out after an hour or so of gaming, and, most recently, after only 30 minutes. I'm running MSI Command Center and GPUz on a second monitor to watch my temps. CPU normally sits around 65-70C, with the occasional spike to 80C which the fans quickly bring under control. GPU during gameplay, to my knowledge, has never gone above 65C. These temps don't seem unreasonable to me which makes me think the problem lies elsewhere.

So far in terms of troubleshooting I have reseated the CPU cooler (when I first thought the problem was temperature related), ran MemTest 64 (which passed with 0 errors), and have double checked that everything is plugged in correctly. According to reviews my GPU is a power hog so it's supplied by two power leads from the PSU. All of my drivers are up to date, and I am using the stand-offs for the motherboard.

I am a little worried that I have buggered the CPU as there seemed to be a bit of thermal paste over the edge when I reseated the cooler, but I cleaned it up with Isopropanol and couldn't see any traces of it when I put the cooler back.

If anyone has any ideas what else to try please let me know. This is really frustrating and I am starting to feel like I have wasted a lot of money! Thanks for your time!

MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X with included Wraith Prism cooler

Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3200 16GB

Sapphire RX Vega 64 Nitro+ 8GB

Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850w PSU

WD Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD M.2 2280 - 500GB

Samsung 860 EVO SSD - 500GB

Agon AG271QX LED 27 Class monitor

zeriasis

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2013
When you pulled the CPU were any of the pins bent? Also when you built this new computer did you do a fresh install of windows on the Hard drive?

Aug 5, 2018

Everything was a fresh install. I couldn't physically pull the CPU out, it's as if it were stuck. And yes, I had the retaining arm up. If thermal paste has accidentally got in amongst the pins and solidified, that's bad right?

I suddenly have a feeling this is going to get very expensive!

Aug 5, 2018

Of what exactly? The game cutting out? Forgive me, but what will that tell you that my description hasn't?

zeriasis

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2013
It starts up and runs. So It might not be too bad. I would recommend the same as CWLI1_. Deal with why you can not remove your CPU from your Board. Hopefully you didn't install it in wrong but at the same time I don't know if a CPU will run if installed correctly...

What do you mean by cutting out? If it returns you back to windows without any error message than it's not a performance issue,your title is about performance so obviously a video would help to figure out what kind of performance issue it is.