Question New rig won't boot to BIOS ?

Oct 29, 2022
Hello all,

I've built the following rig last night, but couldn't get it to boot BIOS

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7GHz 6 Cores Socket AM5
PSU Corsair RM Series RM750 750W Full Modular 80 Plus Gold preowned (2013 series)
CABLE KIT Corsair Sleeved PSU Cables Starter Kit Type 4 Gen 4
MOTHERBOARD Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wi-Fi Motherboard ATX AM5 Socket
RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR5 RAM (2x16GB) 6000MHz
SSD Samsung 990 PRO SSD 1TB M.2 NVMe PCI Express 4.0
GPU Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 8GB HBM2 Nitro+ PCI-E x16 3.0 - 2 HDMI - 2 DisplayPort preowned
SOUND CARD Creative Sound Blaster Z PCI Express 5.1 preowned

When I switched it on for the first time, I got this message:
f TPM NV corrupted or f TPM NV structure changed.
Press Y to reset fTPM, if you have BitLocker or encryption -enabled system,the system will not boot without a recovery key.
Press N to keep previous f TPM record and continue system boot,
fTPM will NOT be enabled with new CPU unless fTPM is reset (reinitialized),
You could swap back to old CPU to recover TPM related keys and date.

I had never seen this particular message before, and I pressed Y whithout even reading past that point ...

Anyways, the system POSTed and it recognized all devices and ram properly,
There was another messaged on the bottom of the POST screen saying that this was a new CPU and that i needed to press F1 for SETUP.
Which I did, and got stuck on a black screen for ages.

I tried restarting a million times, with the same result: " Press DEL or F2 to enter BIOS" either I do or don't, I end staring at a black screen.

I've checked all my connections, removed USB peripherals, checked the ram sticks etc but nothing changed.

I didn't remove the CMOS battery, the GPU or Soundcard though cuz I was too tired after so many hours of building, cable-managing and troubleshooting.

Now I am at work and I thought I should ask for your help before I return home and start trying to fix it again.

Could all this have occured due to pressing Y instead of N when I got the prompt for fTMPNV?
If yes, would clearing CMOS reset everything?

Could something else be the problem, i.e the PSU ?
I only connected an 8pin cable to the mobo, even though it has two plugs 8pin+4pin. but my PSU doesn't have such a cable.
One other thing I noticed on my new cable kit, is that the 24pin cable is 18+10pin on the psu side, while my old psu has a 14+10pin plug. So instead of using the sleeved cable, I used the old plastic one.

Ralston18

Titan
Do you have access to some other PSU (modular or otherwise) to test with?

If modular, do not use any cables from any other PSU or source.

= = = =

This motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...0_ROG_STRIX_B650E-F_GAMING_WIFI_UM_V2_WEB.pdf

Verify that I found the applicable User Manual.

Refer to the User Manual and the manufacturer's website to double check that all installed components are indeed supported, properly connected, and configured.

Clear CMOS per Step 13 on Page 1-16.

Oct 29, 2022
Hello Ralston18,

Thanks for the taking the time to help me out

Verify that I found the applicable User Manual.
Yes, you have found the correct manual.

Do you have access to some other PSU (modular or otherwise) to test with?
I only have access to a 600W on a secondary pc, which would rank as my last attempt to fix the problem due to low wattage and not wanting to ruin the cable management...

What I have done until now:
  • I've removed the GPU and plugged in the monitor directly to the motherboard (tried both HDMI and DP ports)
  • I've removed the soundcard
  • I've removed all drives besides the M.2 one
  • I've disconnected the RGB hub
  • I've replaced all genuine corsair type4 sleeved PSU cables with the original type 3 ones
  • I've tried booting with all possible combinations regarding the RAM sticks. Single stick, dual stick, all slots, every order.
  • I've removed the battery 2 times for 20min in order to clear CMOS
  • I've also cleared CMOS as per Step 13 on Page 1-16 of the user manual according to your instructions
No matter what, my best result was a screen similar to the one below:
https://ibb.co/bKL6wr4

I press F1 and then the screen becomes black and nothing happens even if I wait for hours.
If I don't clear CMOS, every restart I make, I get the prompt to hit DEL in order to enter BIOS but the result is an empty black screen again.

The PSU I'm using is the one I was using until yesterday on a A320 / Ryzen 3200G system, so I trust it is working properly.
And it's wattage should be enough for my new system according to all wattage calculators I have ran.
If I was certain that it is the reason of my problems, I would buy another one.
But it would be a waste of money otherwise.

PS - Q-Led check clears CPU/DRAM/VGA. It the stays lit (green) on the BOOT indicator.
I suppose that's normal since there's nothing to boot from right ?
I have also removed the M.2 SSD and tried booting with an HDD instead but no luck...

PS 2 Hallelujah !!! I decided to flash the BIOS (just the idea always scares me) and voilà: PROBLEM SOLVED

Thanks all who went into the trouble of reading my post.
Thanks a bunch Ralston18 for taking the time to research and reply.

It's been a long night, now I can hit the bed happy :D

Last edited: