Build Advice New Rig

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cAllen

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Morning folks. It's time for me to build a new system and it's been a while so all help will be appreciated.

Current build for reference:

x3380 @3.16 GHz
GA-EP45-UD3R (rev. 1.1)
GeForce GTX-295
8GB OCZ Reaper HPC DDR2-800 (4x2)
WD1002FBSY
1000W PC
Antec P182 case

It took me months to figure this build out back then because I was hardware stupid. That said, everything has changed since, so I'm right back to hardware stupid. The usage will be the normal everyday crap, games, connecting with work and some CAD...so basically does everything...but must be a solid, reliable 24/7/365 system. Currently running W7 Ult-64, Office 7 Ult, Adobe Master Suite 5.5, and all SOP s/w...but time to update there too.

P.S. I'm a Windows/Intel/NVIDIA guy...no exceptions. So let the beatings begin. ;)

Thank you.

Last edited:

cAllen

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Parts total was just over $5K with a few still left inbound. Tracking indicates I could start building as soon as tomorrow.

;)

I don't do boob tube videos, but I will try and get a shot of the boxes before...and the finished product.

Last edited:

cAllen

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Stupid question time if anyone would care to answer...specific to my build...which should happen tonight. Is it better to only install the primary boot drive and get everything loaded first before "physically" adding my storage m.2 and back-up spinner? I only ask because I read of others having issues when re-formating or adding/removing other s/w with all drives installed during the initial. Pardon my ignorance...but it has been almost 14 years and I have never built (or owned for that matter) a box with multiple "internal" storage drives before. Thanks.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zCn2Bj

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
Stupid question time if anyone would care to answer...specific to my build...which should happen tonight. Is it better to only install the primary boot drive and get everything loaded first before "physically" adding my storage m.2 and back-up spinner? I only ask because I read of others having issues when re-formating or adding/removing other s/w with all drives installed during the initial. Pardon my ignorance...but it has been almost 14 years and I have never built (or owned for that matter) a box with multiple "internal" storage drives before. Thanks.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zCn2Bj
After installing WIndows, you can connect all the other drives.

Reactions: cAllen

cAllen

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Final parts arrived this evening so the fun is about to start. Shame about the EVGA's announcement today seeing I just bought my 3090 Ti FTW3 Ultra directly from them. In hind sight...soon after I bought my "BFG" GTX 295 they stopped selling too.

Last edited:

cAllen

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Going to put this thing together today...so assuming it posts and everything works...I have important follow up questions.

On my old box I'm running Windows 7-64 Ultimate SP1 that was upgraded originally from Vista Ultimate 64. I have Microsoft Office Ultimate 2007 with Office Visio Professional 7, Malwarebytes Premium, Kaspersky Pure, various other s/w...and about 14 years of "everything". This box/HDD was completely reformatted once a few years after moving to Windows 7 to resolve issues. Can not locate my old S/W disks, but found my legit Lic/Keys with jellybean for all Windows. Obviously with this build, I am not "cheaping" out, but what is the "best way" to move MY old box to MY new box without loosing anything compatible? I'm moving to Windows 11 Pro and Office Pro 2021 and would really like to keep everything s/w compatible, especially all Docs, photos, ect...

The reason I'm asking here is my old Hack Buddy is no longer around and I'm afraid this part might be a little above my pay grade. Although I have another guy at work that's good with this stuff, we work different ends of the clock...and I'm not sure I trust Microcenter with this.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Last edited:

cAllen

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
I know there are threads that address this but since it's specific to my build I'm going to ask here. Rough wired everything and not real happy with the bulk of the 3x8 to 12 adapter included with my 3090 Ti Ultra. As part of the Deal, EVGA also sent me their 16 ga PerFE 12 Power Cable. Now this cable is a 2x8 to 12. This adapter actually only uses 6 each pins from each 8 plug to 12 on the NVIDIA side. They threw a sticker on the packaging saying it's good for 3090 Ti to EVGA PSU 1000W+. Do EVGA and Corsair have different PWR/GND pin outs "on the PSU side" for theses 8 pin plugs? Also trying to figure "available" power to the GPU if this cable is in fact compatible. This is the old/new style before the sense pins were recently incorporated. Thanks.

Told ya'll I was going to take my time on this...but wanting to try and fire this thing up tonight and see if she posts.

Last edited:

cAllen

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Alrighty then. Took new box into Micro Center and had then do an "official" first post, update Bios, install Windows 11 Pro (minus activation), update all drivers and utilities and updated memory to run XMP. I have installation media for Office 2021 Pro Plus and I have legal installation keys for both that will be activated tonight or tomorrow. Progress yes, but I still need some time to transfer everything I can over from the old box.

In case I haven't said so in a while...Thank You Everyone...for all your help and guidance so far. This new machine is literally decades ahead of "Old Reliable" 775.

PS - Idle temp is 26C with nothing running. That's an i9-12900KS running with a D15 BLK, in a closed Torrent...with all case fans set to quiet default.

Christmas came early this year. ;)

Last edited:

cAllen

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2008
Windows, Office and all programs (for now) has been been installed on my new rig's boot drive (I had help), but waiting to move my Security S/W over (single license each) until all personal files have been transferred over. As a qualifier, up until now I've always had someone else do this part for me and that was years ago. So...would any one of you Gurus in here be willing to help teach or redirect me how to move all my personal files (Docs, Pictures, Photos, ect...) over to the new rig. As a refresher, my old box is a 775 socket P45 with a Sata WD RE3 1-TB running Windows 7 and new rig is a Z690 with boot drive FireCuda 530 M.2 1-TB SSD running Windows 11 Pro. I know this is basics 101 for most of you, but not me. So I'll take the beatings, but I really want to finish this thing and retire "Old Reliable".

Thank you.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
So...would any one of you Gurus in here be willing to help teach or redirect me how to move all my personal files (Docs, Pictures, Photos, ect...) over to the new rig.
Assuming the old system still runs...

Simply copy those files to a flash drive, and sneakernet to the new system.
Not the Libraries...only the files within.

Or you could have both systems on the same LAN, and share a folder on the new drive.
Connect to it and copy as desired.
Again, only the files...not the Libraries.

USAFRet

Titan
I am so far behind you on this I have to look up everything you say to try and understand. Can you talk it down to an idiot's level...please?
From your old system, if you were to copy the 'Documents" folder, when you pasted it into the new PS....that folder would be permission locked to the User from the old system.
There are relatively easy ways to get around that.

But the easiest way is to not copy that Documents folder. Just the files within.