hcoyle545

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
So before i got this new cable (CAT5 cable with RJ11 connectors crimped on at both ends made by a friend of mine whose an electrician) my router was under the stairs and the only way it could reach my main phone socket (i only have 1) was through an extension cable (that just happened to be 30metres long... go figure). So now i've gotten rid of that as well as the 3metre RJ11 cable that was going from my router into it as it was giving me shockingly bad download speeds, however I havent noticed any huge improvements as of yet (only installed like 15mins ago).

Can anybody tell me how long it will be before (that is, if) i notice any significant speed improvements?

thanks in advance

devonh

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
first off you are referring to a RJ45 connector and not a RJ11 connector. CAT5 only uses the RJ45 head. a good example of a cable that would only use an RJ11 head would be a telephone wire. CAT5 has a maximum length of 100m after which you would need to add a repeater to continue the signal. if you stay within the 100m range you will not see any speed decreases.

Get the shortest CAT5 (RJ45) cable that will connect you from point A to point B. If the cable is longer, loop it rather that coil the excess. (BTW, the same applies to electrical extension cords)

k3y3n1n

Distinguished
May 20, 2010

What he said ^^^^ =)