Question New RM750X PSU buzzing

Sep 30, 2019
Recently finished a new build however when the Corsair RM750X PSU is switched on at the back it is making a light buzzing sound. The noise goes away when I flick the switch. When I power the system on at the front panel there doesnt seem to be any issues and it is a grounded plug but should I RMA this?

mangaman

Honorable
Hello and Welcome to the forms.

Just to clarify, does it make a buzzing noise when the computer is on? What about during high loads, such as stress tests and gaming? Does it buzz when the computer is sleeping? Is the buzz very noticeable or very quite?

Sep 30, 2019
Hello and Welcome to the forms.

Just to clarify, does it make a buzzing noise when the computer is on? What about during high loads, such as stress tests and gaming? Does it buzz when the computer is sleeping? Is the buzz very noticeable or very quite?
Hi, thank you, and thanks for getting to me quickly

So, when I have it plugged in to the mains through any outlet or power strip it seems okay but when I flick the switch on the PSU I get a high pitched whining ringing sort of sound like what you may get in your ears after listening to loud music. The moment I switch the PSU off again even with the mains on, the sound disappears.
With the system turned on it is not loud enough to hear it unless I get very close to it, a volume I wouldnt say is very worrying, just worried about the sound when the system is turned off
I havent even got to installing windows yet because of this noise and a noise from my AIO so I'm not sure about stress tests or gaming unfortunately

mangaman

Honorable
Ya sounds very troubling. A PSU will have very minimal buzzing, but it shouldn't be noticeable. Mostly from coil whine, but this does not sound like coild wine at all. Sound mostly like a faulty capacitor.

I would RMA asap. You probably just got a certain model from a bad line. Well known manufactures that make high quality PSU models, can sometimes have a few bad apples. Happens from time to time.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2019
Ya sounds very troubling. A PSU will have very minimal buzzing, but it shouldn't be noticeable. Mostly from coil whine, but this does not sound like coild wine at all. Sound mostly like a faulty capacitor.

I would RMA asap. You probably just got a certain model from a bad line. Well known manufactures that make high quality PSU models, can sometimes have a few bad apples. Happens from time to time.
Yeah I thought it wasnt right, my PSUs have buzzed in the past but not like this. It was supplied by CCL who I thought were reliable but after this noisy PSU, AIO and incorrect SSD I regret buying off them.
Thank you for your help, I will RMA this as soon as I can :)