[SOLVED] New Rog Strix x470-i mobo/Win7 - No ethernet

Drive-In

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
New build - had to install from a pre-loaded Win7 boot USB. Current issue is no ethernet. Dev. Mgr shows "other devices" apparently do not have drivers. No ethernet or network controller or PCI devices etc.

Is this mobo going to force me to upgrade to Win10? Thanks for a wonderful website.

Mike

jimmysmitty

Champion
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25242/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-for-Windows-7-?product=64404

That should be the latest Intel driver for your NIC card on that board, it is an Intel I211-AT. I can't find the WiFi driver but Windows might have it once you install the NIC driver and get it fro Windows update. From what I have found it should be a Realtek 8822BE Wireless card.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x470

AMD can provide the chipset drivers.

In all honesty Windows 7 is a waste for a newer system. Drivers will become harder and harder to come by, software support is going to start stopping and it is not nearly as efficient at handling the newer hardware as 10. There is also the issue of UEFI. If that board supportts Asus CSM mode you can install 7 but if it only supports UEFI you wont be able to install 7.

Drive-In

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
Good fix - sad to see microsoft dissed so very many users of it's products - selah...

Mouse drags though - Logitech 705. Dl'd their drivers but still sketchy. Any help on this issue?

Thanks a lot!

Mike

jimmysmitty

Champion
Windows 7 is 10 years old. There is a lot of improvement in 10 they cannot implement into 7, especially security wise, without breaking it. Trust me they tried to do that with XP when people wanted to stay and it caused issues. Its a normal cycle and eventually 8 will go as will older versions of 10.

For the mouse, my experience with the consumer and business class mice from Logitech have been as such. They have a very limited range for wireless performance. I would suggest making sure the receiver and mouse have line of sight for the best performance. If you need use a USB extention cord. I had people at my work have issues with it when they have their system below their desk and it was thick enough to cause the mouse and keyboard to not always respond, they are normally using the Logitech MK710 kit.

Drive-In

Commendable
Jul 27, 2016
thanks jimmy - i did find Logitech provides small options programs (one is called SetPoint) which revealed the settings of the M705 mouse were all on low. It sped the cursor up considerably and solved the issue - same with the keyboard. Their Options program actually will unify separate Logitech devices all onto one receiver which also helped.

I understand about Windows 7 not being designed for the new components - I just detest Windows 10 though - I'll look into changing to a different OS, but I'll bet you I just end up giving in and installing 10. Built for new hardware so I hope to get the most out of my new system.

Thanks for your help!

Mike

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS