[SOLVED] New router disconnecting internet

Cakeboss

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
Hello,

I bought a new router a couple of months ago. The Netgear R6260. My old router couldn't handle the 300MB/s internet. Since I got this new router my internet is sometimes disconnecting for a couple of seconds. My brother keeps complaining that the PS4 keeps disconnecting. Or when I am downloading something my internet disconnects for 10 seconds and it's back to normal. It's all wired except the PS4. What is the issue here?

Solution
FYI:

https://stevessmarthomeguide.com/understanding-dhcp-home-networks/

In the results of "ipconfig /all" your computer's IP is labeled IPv4 Address.....

The "arp -a" results should start with "Interface:" followed by that same IPv4 address.

Below that there is a three column list: Internet Address, Physical Address, and Type.

The IP addresses (Internet Address) most likely start with 192.168. ..

There should be no duplicates.

Refer to the following link to find the PS4's IP address.

https://setuprouter.com/setup-a-static-ip-address-ps4/

Do not change anything, just get the IP address.

And look at the MAC addresses. One is for wired, the other for wireless.

Do either of those MAC addresses...

Ralston18

Titan
How many network devices do you have: wired and wireless?

The 10 second download disconnects: does that happen only once or with every download?

Any change if the PS4 is turned off?

Do you have the User Manual for the Router?

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6260/R6260_UM_EN.pdf

Verify that I did indeed find the correct User Manual.

Thick 205 pages: Section 15, Page 190 provides some troubleshooting tips.

Work through those tips and try to narrow things down.

Cakeboss

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
How many network devices do you have: wired and wireless?

The 10 second download disconnects: does that happen only once or with every download?

Any change if the PS4 is turned off?

Do you have the User Manual for the Router?

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/R6260/R6260_UM_EN.pdf

Verify that I did indeed find the correct User Manual.

Thick 205 pages: Section 15, Page 190 provides some troubleshooting tips.

Work through those tips and try to narrow things down.

Thanks for the quick reply. It only happens on my pc with every download and 2 to 4 times on the ps4 within an hour I think. That is the correct manual.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Troubleshoot the router per the manual.

PC:

Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (just one tool at a time) to observe PC performance.

First while not downloading then, second, while downloading.

Look for some app, process, or service bottlenecking the computer and/or network.

Be aware of the PS4's status: on or off.

Conduct the above testing and observation with PS4 on and off.

Key is to narrow down the possibilities.

Cakeboss

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015

PC:

Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (just one tool at a time) to observe PC performance.

First while not downloading then, second, while downloading.

Look for some app, process, or service bottlenecking the computer and/or network.

Be aware of the PS4's status: on or off.

Conduct the above testing and observation with PS4 on and off.

Key is to narrow down the possibilities.

I had a typo in the previous post I meant to say 2-4 times on ps4 within an hour. Nothing really happens on the pc if the PS4 is turned off. The only thing that disconnects my internet is when I am downloading something.

Ralston18

Titan
Was your PC ever configured for wireless use? If so, ensure that the wireless adapter is disabled.

Only one network adapter either wired or wireless should be enabled. Not both adapters at the same time.

Then use Resource Monitor or Task Manager to observe PC performance as per Post #4 above.

Who has full admin rights to the router? You may need help from that person to troubleshoot and check the current configuration settings.

Cakeboss

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
Was your PC ever configured for wireless use? If so, ensure that the wireless adapter is disabled.

Only one network adapter either wired or wireless should be enabled. Not both adapters at the same time.

Then use Resource Monitor or Task Manager to observe PC performance as per Post #4 above.

Who has full admin rights to the router? You may need help from that person to troubleshoot and check the current configuration settings.

I have full control of the router and the network in this household. I read the manual, the only thing they explain is how to configure it for the first time. My PC was never configured for wireless use, my pc itself doesn't have any wireless hardware. I never had this issue with my old router. I don't know what I am supposed to look at the Resource Monitor or Task Manager when I am downloading something.

Ralston18

Titan
Did you go through Section 15 - Troubleshooting?

Granted not all may apply but just watching the LEDs could provide some clue.

Look in the logs (See Page 146) - good chance that something is being captured when the downloads falter.

PC:

Look for any app, process, service, or component that uses a high %.

Downloading involves disk activity - watch the disk.

Likewise downloading involves your network - watch network activity.

Something that changes between not-downloading and downloading.

Cakeboss

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
Did you go through Section 15 - Troubleshooting?

Granted not all may apply but just watching the LEDs could provide some clue.

Look in the logs (See Page 146) - good chance that something is being captured when the downloads falter.

PC:

Look for any app, process, service, or component that uses a high %.

Downloading involves disk activity - watch the disk.

Likewise downloading involves your network - watch network activity.

Something that changes between not-downloading and downloading.

So the disconnects are only happening when my download speeds are above 20MiB/s, below that everything seems fine. The LEDs seem fine.

The logs only say "[Access Control]" to address etc and "[UPnP set event:AddPortMapping]"

Cakeboss

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015

Cakeboss

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015

Ralston18

Titan
"QoS" is Quality of Service. Generally presented as and intended as a way to prioritize which network computers get priority with respect network traffic. Expectations usually exceed the realities so, overall, the impact of QoS minimal.

QoS is an Administrative function. You need router admin rights to apply and if you have not done that already then the router is at its' default settings.

As for netsh best leave that alone for now.

Do you know how to access the Command Prompt in Windows?

Just type "Command Prompt" into the "Type here to search box" and select Command Prompt when the icon appears.

Once in Command prompt type "ipconfig /all" without quotes and post the results.

Then with the PS4 off again use the command prompt to type "arp -a". Run the command a couple of times.

Then turn on the PS4 and run "arp -a" a couple more times.

Do you see any duplicate IP addresses (listed as Internet Address)?

Cakeboss

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
"QoS" is Quality of Service. Generally presented as and intended as a way to prioritize which network computers get priority with respect network traffic. Expectations usually exceed the realities so, overall, the impact of QoS minimal.

QoS is an Administrative function. You need router admin rights to apply and if you have not done that already then the router is at its' default settings.

As for netsh best leave that alone for now.

Do you know how to access the Command Prompt in Windows?

Just type "Command Prompt" into the "Type here to search box" and select Command Prompt when the icon appears.

Once in Command prompt type "ipconfig /all" without quotes and post the results.

Then with the PS4 off again use the command prompt to type "arp -a". Run the command a couple of times.

Then turn on the PS4 and run "arp -a" a couple more times.

Do you see any duplicate IP addresses (listed as Internet Address)?

I don't see any duplicate IP addresses. Nor do I see "Internet Address" both PS4 on and off.
Unless Default Gateway, DNS Servers, IPv4 Adress and DHCP Server are supposed to have the same IP address?

Ralston18

Titan
FYI:

https://stevessmarthomeguide.com/understanding-dhcp-home-networks/

In the results of "ipconfig /all" your computer's IP is labeled IPv4 Address.....

The "arp -a" results should start with "Interface:" followed by that same IPv4 address.

Below that there is a three column list: Internet Address, Physical Address, and Type.

The IP addresses (Internet Address) most likely start with 192.168. ..

There should be no duplicates.

Refer to the following link to find the PS4's IP address.

https://setuprouter.com/setup-a-static-ip-address-ps4/

Do not change anything, just get the IP address.

And look at the MAC addresses. One is for wired, the other for wireless.

Do either of those MAC addresses appear in the results of "arp a"?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS