New router disconnecting

ClubSpade12

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
I just hooked up a new NETGEAR WNDR3700v3 router in my basement, it's connected to another router upstairs, so I could use it to broadcast WiFi down here and so I can plug the two PCs into it. It works like 1/5th of the time. Most of the time, I just get the yellow warning sign on my connection in the tray and it says unidentified network and I'm just stuck there. If I reset the router and/or computer sometimes it will go back to working as a home network for a little while, and then it'll either go back to unidentified, or it will constantly stop working and start working again.

Some other important details:
When I plug the ethernet caple right into my PC, not through this router, it works perfectly. The WiFi and internet connections coming from the house's main router is perfect. But when I go to use this router, it just doesn't work. Also notable, that when I do ipconfig /all, there is no default gateway. It's just empty right there, it says nothing. I've been trying this for like 6 hours now and I've had no luck.

Solution
The DHCP thing is most likely.

Also, the signal strength and sensitivity of an omnidirectional antenna isn't perfectly uniform. It forms a torus (a donut), with the strongest coverage to the sides, and the weakest coverage directly above and below.

http://mpantenna.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/FIGURE-1.png

So the fact that you're trying to connect between devices upstairs and downstairs is likely the problem. To get around the problem, tilt one antenna on both devices so the meat of their donut intersects each other. For best signal strength, make sure the two antennas you've tilted are also parallel (pointed in the same direction).

If one of the routers only has one antenna, then you're kinda stuck. You...
The DHCP thing is most likely.

Also, the signal strength and sensitivity of an omnidirectional antenna isn't perfectly uniform. It forms a torus (a donut), with the strongest coverage to the sides, and the weakest coverage directly above and below.

http://mpantenna.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/FIGURE-1.png

So the fact that you're trying to connect between devices upstairs and downstairs is likely the problem. To get around the problem, tilt one antenna on both devices so the meat of their donut intersects each other. For best signal strength, make sure the two antennas you've tilted are also parallel (pointed in the same direction).

If one of the routers only has one antenna, then you're kinda stuck. You can try tilting one antenna on the Netgear to see if that improves things. Or move the Netgear so it's not directly below the other router.

Solution

ClubSpade12

Honorable
Apr 7, 2016
Alright, thank you for your help guys. As of now, I realized that the plug I was using was a 6V 1A, when the router requires a 12V 2.5A. I've found the original plug and as of right now that seems to have done the trick. But if it goes on the fritz again I'll try that.