[SOLVED] New router for new ISP

Xbmitchx

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2015
So, after having nothing but issues with our current ISP for literal years but not being able to do anything about it because they were the only company that serviced my area, finally a new company is moving in that will be providing exponentially better internet. Only thing is with this new ISP we are required to provide our own router, they recommend that we get a gigabit router, they said that they sell Netgear AC1750's for $150 but I feel like I can get a better deal on possibly even a better one online, only thing is I know very little about all this as our current/old ISP provided a wireless gateway and because of the crap speeds never bothered switching.

So with that said, what is the best/cheapest option thats equivalent or depending on price maybe even better than the Netgear AC1750 suggestion that they made since they sell it themselves?

Solution
You must remember that 1/2 your connection is the end devices. In most cases where there are issue it is the end device not the router causing the problem. Many cell phones for example do not transmit at maximum legal wifi power to save on battery. This means the signal from the router may go far enough but the signal going back to the router from the end device may not be strong enough.

You have to be careful you do not get conned into thinking bigger number means better. The last asus you post support so called 1700. This means they are using 200mhz channels on the 2.4g band. The official standard only allows 150 so many end devices will not support a non standard extension. This is also true of even many of the...
You need wifi I assume ... With a smaller place, I would take a look at the Ubiquiti Amplifi which runs around $100. If you have more than 3 bedrooms, I would upgrade to the Amplifi HD (same cost as the AC1750). 5 bedrooms and you might need to go the Amplifi HD Mesh (not cheap, but works well).

Xbmitchx

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2015
Correct, though majority of what will be on WiFi will be phones. Majority of our bandwidth use overall atm is my gaming PC and my Xbox one X which are currently hooked up via ethernet, and hopefully will be with the new provider as well.

Xbmitchx

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2015
It depends on what you mean by perform. The wifi will likely be the same since they both use exactly the same wifi radio chips from broadcom. They both use a very similar cpu with the netgear have a somewhat faster clock rate. Will it make any difference all depends on what you are doing. Something like VPN on the router it will since that is greatly affected by cpu speed. Normal day to day internet traffic likely does not matter since almost all modern routers have hardware assist feature for the NAT so the cpu does not impact it.

It is actually impossible to predict. If your house was 1 huge open room you could likely do calculations to determine coverage etc. Houses make much more difference than the small difference between brands of routers. There is also the strange phenomena that some router even when they appear identical work better in some houses than others.

Xbmitchx

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2015
Fair, i guess my final question/s is between these 3 routers which has the best "specs" as I having only used our current providers wireless gateway device i have no clue what to look for in routers.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AC12...-165922821.1565911722&tag=shopperz_origin1-20

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Dual-Ba...-165922821.1565911722&tag=shopperz_origin1-20

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Wireles...-165922821.1565911722&tag=shopperz_origin1-20

Due to some foreseen expenses that have come up, would like to keep the price under $100. or, if another is better at around that price range what would you recommend?

You must remember that 1/2 your connection is the end devices. In most cases where there are issue it is the end device not the router causing the problem. Many cell phones for example do not transmit at maximum legal wifi power to save on battery. This means the signal from the router may go far enough but the signal going back to the router from the end device may not be strong enough.

You have to be careful you do not get conned into thinking bigger number means better. The last asus you post support so called 1700. This means they are using 200mhz channels on the 2.4g band. The official standard only allows 150 so many end devices will not support a non standard extension. This is also true of even many of the thing that are including in the official standard. Things like mu-mimo is not widely supported....then again it does very little in real world installation.

The whole goal of this is to confuse people with techno babble. The vast majority of people unlike me who actually studies these numbers just think if I don't understand it must be good.

If money is a issue I would buy the first router you list or a very similar one. The 1200 number matches most end devices.

Solution