Question New Router - Internet drops for a few seconds every few minutes

just_Leon

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014
So, I purchased a new router (TP-LINK C3150) and have it connected to my modem. But the internet keeps dropping for a few seconds every few minutes and I'm stumped on why.

I've tried:
1.) Updating the firmware
2.) Changing the DNS
3.) Complete Reset on the router
4.) Power cycling

It even drops on ethernet which I've tried both the modem itself to desktop and router to ethernet. On modem it runs flawlessly but when I connect it to the router it will drop connection.

I've tried different ethernet cables and different ports on the router.

I'm not sure what to try but my previous router did have similar issues ethernet on it's last day (which was yesterday) and I figured a new router would solve that.

I'm connected to a PCI Internet adapter and have tried reinstalling the drivers

What are some suggestions I could be doing?

Ralston18

Titan
Does the following line diagram match your network's physical configuration?

ISP ---> Cable Modem---Ethernet cable --->[WAN] Router [LAN]---Ethernet cable(s) ---> PC9s) and network devices such as printer, NAS, etc..

Plus (from router) ~~~ wireless ~~~> Wireless devices.

Make and model cable modem?

Are you sure that DHCP is enabled on only the TP-Link router?

Check the router's logs (if available and enabled). The logs may have some relevant entries that correspond with the Internet connection drops.

Also run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the command prompt.

Post the results.

just_Leon

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014
Yes the physical configuration is correct.

The model and make of the modem is Arris Surfboard SB6183 it is about 3 years old.

DHCP is enabled with all the default values and no DNS

I found the router logs and there's 63 pages since the install of this which was last night - I'll attach a pastebin with this information. And for the information from ipconfig /all

EDIT: I do have tools on my router such as ping / traceroute if that could help