Mar 11, 2020
Hi, so i just got a brand new router and I had no issues with ports being open on my last router. However it frequently dropped so we got a new one. However, this new router restricts me from connecting to other people on a transversal server through the emulator dolphin. I went even further and forwarded ports 2626 and tried to host and port checking websites stated that it was still closed. I also tried to make a minecraft server again and I've had no issues with that prior but after port forwarding 25565 I still found myself unable to connect. My current setup is a netgear R6120 Router connected via repeater to my spare room so I can connect through ethernet. Also my nintendo switch has a restricted nat type of D. I've tried to portforward, enable a dmz server, and tried on other systems and I got the same results. Any thoughts?

I am only connected with a router, no modem.

Solution
It appears as if you have some kind of modem in front of the router. What happens if you plug your PC into the modem just to test. You might have to power cycle the modem to get it to give you a IP address. Since there is now no nat it should not have port problems. You can easily see the IP you were given to see if it is public.

If this works it means there definitely is some issue with the router. Odds are though it is some minor configuration issue but finding it is the probelm.
I suspect the repeater is set up incorrectly and is causing the issue. Run a long cat5 cable directly to your router and test that way. If things work, we need to look into your repeater configuration. If things still don't work, sounds like you might have a doa on the netgear or need to upgrade/downgrade the firmware.

Mar 11, 2020
Nope, direct connection didnt work, and I bought a new router to see if that would change anything and I'm still getting the same issues, I called my isp and they told me that they arent blocking any ports.
Also these problems only started happening when I upgraded to a dual band router.

Could I have a private IP and now I just can't connect to anybody?

Mar 11, 2020
Gotcha, so if direct connect didn't work, it's pointing to the router. What did you purchase? Same one? Different one?

If you put your old router back does it work?

Old router was thrown away as it was virtually useless. I bought a netgear R6120 and my previous was a basic cisco router.

That sucks. :( Never throw away working networking equipment--it can benefit someone and will reduce landfill waste--just give it away. Plus, when doing upgrades, it is best to keep it in case an upgrade turns into something like this.

Well, I don't know what to try next. The old router would have been perfect for ruling out if it was an isp issue or a router issue as it previously worked.

It appears as if you have some kind of modem in front of the router. What happens if you plug your PC into the modem just to test. You might have to power cycle the modem to get it to give you a IP address. Since there is now no nat it should not have port problems. You can easily see the IP you were given to see if it is public.

If this works it means there definitely is some issue with the router. Odds are though it is some minor configuration issue but finding it is the probelm.

Solution

This is a great test to try, but don't leave your computer connected this way for too long as it can get infected quickly. There's literally hundreds of requests per hour to IP addresses trying to exploit stuff.