[SOLVED] New router only lets devices access google websites

May 6, 2020
Hi,

we just switched our internet provider. We set up our new router, but it only is able to load google websites and social media (facebook, youtube, google search, gmail, etc.) i've see similar threads to this before, but normally its one device not working on a network where all other devices are, but in this case its all devices that have this problem. I've tried restarting the router many times

I tried changing the DNS on my brother's windows laptop via the control panel (all the rest of us have chromebooks), but that didnt help.
On my Gateway ip page for my router there are lots of options for adding or removing or enabling and disabling various things, but i dont understand what any of them mean. I feel like the problem is going to be something i could fix by changing one of the settings on that page, but I have no idea what it is.

We're all a bit doomed without internet, as we don't get mobile signal where i live, so if anyone knows what the problem might be they'd be a real life saver,

thanks
Edd

Solution
First see if you can ping 1.1.1.1

Then change the dns to this value in the end pc. This is a company that is called cloudflare and people use this dns server when they do not like google.

If ping fails you could try 4.2.2.2 which is level 3.

If you can not ping these IP then something is blocking traffic at a IP level. If these ping you can talk to non google sites so it is likely a dns restriction.

Note try to disable IPv6 support in end device. Sometime IPv6 uses a different path. This might completely break things if the cause is ipv4 is not working although that is extremely unlikely
First see if you can ping 1.1.1.1

Then change the dns to this value in the end pc. This is a company that is called cloudflare and people use this dns server when they do not like google.

If ping fails you could try 4.2.2.2 which is level 3.

If you can not ping these IP then something is blocking traffic at a IP level. If these ping you can talk to non google sites so it is likely a dns restriction.

Note try to disable IPv6 support in end device. Sometime IPv6 uses a different path. This might completely break things if the cause is ipv4 is not working although that is extremely unlikely

Solution