Question New router or modem router ?

Jun 8, 2019
I'm using the free ISP modem router Huawei hg531 v1 and I'm facing poor wifi, poor performance on Facebook and slow response in gaming, some lag when my childs play games on mobile phones , I want to ask if its better to install new Router with my ISP modem or its better to get new modem/router device ?
Considering low budget ~ 40$
- my internet connection speed is 15 m/b adsl2+

kanewolf

Titan
A router may not change anything. Your 15Mb DSL may be the problem. You may just be overloading your ISP connection. And you may just have too many competing WIFI signals in your area. A new router won't help that problem. Third, to get a router (dual band) that might help the WIFI congestion problem, it may cost more than $40.

A free change you CAN make is to use an alternative DNS service like google. (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). That may speed up your browsing if your ISP DNS is slow.

Jun 8, 2019
Changing DNS didn't improve speed , and I can't speed up my connection now
I can explain my point again and sorry for my poor English.
When we are 3 or 4 devices connected to to my modem router and not using high bandwidth like browsing on facebook , surfing web sites , watching youtube on 360p or even 240p we are not using full connection bandwidth and i think that my modem can't manage those 3/4 devices simultaneously
And my Q is if i install a new router like
  • D-Link DIR-816 Wireless AC750 Dual Band Router
  • TP-LINK Archer C50
- TP Link 4 Port 450Mbps Wireless N Router 3 Antennas / TL-WR940N

Will it help in handling those devices better than my existing modem do ??

Is most likely a distance issue and/or noisy neighbors. Typically a separate box should help but no guarantee, we are not salesmen nor vendors representatives. Buy from somewhere you can return if unhappy.

I would though do a WIRED TEST hookup directly to the back of the current box to discount any ISP issue.

Jun 8, 2019
I think that there is no problem with ISP because if i disconnect all wifi devices except one and make a test every thing goes fine
Im trying to search about an exact info. My existing box now make 2 jobs as a modem getting internet and distributing it among connected devices and as i thought it can't deals good with 3 or 4 devices at the same time so when i attach a router does my modem deals with it as one device even though there are many devices connected to the router so it will be better for us

TRENDING THREADS