[SOLVED] New router, port forwarding issues for games.

Jun 14, 2022
Hi, I recently had to replace an older router and got the Asus RT-AX86U as a replacement because I heard it was good for gamers. Ever since changing over however, I haven't been able to open the ports for an Ark server I was hosting just prior to the switch, and have had to postpone my session with friends because of it. I can connect to the server myself, but the others can't find it now, despite having characters already made on it, not even through the steam server listing. I've restarted the router after making changes to port forwarding, and creating rules in windows firewall (I think I did it correct).

Don't know if it's worth mentioning that my dad uses the modem (Xfinity issued) upstairs for his own connectivity and I have my own router downstairs for my devices, as it didn't affect my old router's ability to port forward. Figured the more advanced gaming router would have less issues with this kind of thing lol. I attempted to port forward off of both of them when I couldn't get the one to work. The router I'm trying to host on is in a wireless router operation mode, and my ISP is Xfinity. I've tried everything I know how to do, but I'm self-taught at port forwarding so kind of at a loss now. Any insight would be much appreciated.

This is my port forwarding configuration for my router (top) and my dad's modem(?) below, I've tried adjusting the ranges, or writing them differently to see if I made an error somewhere, but I'm not really tech savvy enough to spot my own mistakes. Usually trial and error works for me with port forwarding, but this time that method is not resolving the issue.

Port-Forwarding.png

Solution
I'm not sure about the access point. The Xfinity Gateway is a bit more frustrating than the Asus, but the WAN for Xfinity Gateway does match the public IP. Problem for me is the port forwarding for Xfinity doesn't give me an option to input an IP address? I have to select from devices there, and my desktop is downstairs running off the Asus Wifi network, so it doesn't show up there as an option. Not really sure how to get the two systems to communicate and work together, if I need to configure the Gateway to work with my router.
You configure your Asus as an access point and then your PC does show up as a device off the Xfinity.
It is easy with Asus. You toggle the mode to access point. Boom you are done.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi, I recently had to replace an older router and got the Asus RT-AX86U as a replacement because I heard it was good for gamers. Ever since changing over however, I haven't been able to open the ports for an Ark server I was hosting just prior to the switch, and have had to postpone my session with friends because of it. I can connect to the server myself, but the others can't find it now, despite having characters already made on it, not even through the steam server listing. I've restarted the router after making changes to port forwarding, and creating rules in windows firewall (I think I did it correct).

Don't know if it's worth mentioning that my dad uses the modem (Xfinity issued) upstairs for his own connectivity and I have my own router downstairs for my devices, as it didn't affect my old router's ability to port forward. Figured the more advanced gaming router would have less issues with this kind of thing lol. I attempted to port forward off of both of them when I couldn't get the one to work. The router I'm trying to host on is in a wireless router operation mode, and my ISP is Xfinity. I've tried everything I know how to do, but I'm self-taught at port forwarding so kind of at a loss now. Any insight would be much appreciated.

This is my port forwarding configuration for my router (top) and my dad's modem(?) below, I've tried adjusting the ranges, or writing them differently to see if I made an error somewhere, but I'm not really tech savvy enough to spot my own mistakes. Usually trial and error works for me with port forwarding, but this time that method is not resolving the issue.

Port-Forwarding.png
What is the WAN address on the AX86U ? If it is not your public IP address then port forwarding won't work. My GUESS is that there are port forwarding rules setup on the Xfinity router but that the WAN address on your Asus doesn't match the rules. There may have been an IP reservation made for the old router or you might have had a static IP on the WAN of the old router.

Reactions: Sparkless
Jun 14, 2022
What is the WAN address on the AX86U ? If it is not your public IP address then port forwarding won't work. My GUESS is that there are port forwarding rules setup on the Xfinity router but that the WAN address on your Asus doesn't match the rules. There may have been an IP reservation made for the old router or you might have had a static IP on the WAN of the old router.

I believe you're correct, the WAN and public IP addresses are different. Is there something I can do to remedy that?

Jun 14, 2022
You will have to investigate the configuration on the Xfinity router.
Could your previous "router" have been configured as an access point ?

I'm not sure about the access point. The Xfinity Gateway is a bit more frustrating than the Asus, but the WAN for Xfinity Gateway does match the public IP. Problem for me is the port forwarding for Xfinity doesn't give me an option to input an IP address? I have to select from devices there, and my desktop is downstairs running off the Asus Wifi network, so it doesn't show up there as an option. Not really sure how to get the two systems to communicate and work together, if I need to configure the Gateway to work with my router.

kanewolf

Titan
You configure your Asus as an access point and then your PC does show up as a device off the Xfinity.

Solution
Jun 14, 2022

Good news is my desktop and phone showed up under the devices in the Xfinity Gateway after switching to access point! I port forwarded off of the Xfinity Gateway and put up the server just to test, and my friend was able to find it and connect, however now I can't find/connect to it on my own device. I remember there being some sort of issue with putting up a server and playing on the same machine, but I was able to do it with my old set-up so I know it's possible. Any thoughts on that?

It depends on the application sometimes. The ones that require steam or some other central control server can make this hard to test.

Generally with most servers you can use the local lan IP BUT if the central server only uses the external IP then that trick won't work. In addition there might be some messy application issue testing a client and server from the same machine. The method that will likely work is a VM if you wan to go to all that trouble.

The other issues is even if you have a completely separate machine it might not work to go to the external IP address. The router needs a special feature call hair pin nat. This is not often documented so you really can't tell if a router has it or not, other than testing for it.
This concept almost makes you head hurt so some routers do not implement it. What is happening is the source IP is being translated to the external IP like normal NAT but at this point the packet has both the source IP and the destination IP set to the external IP. It must now see that and pass it through the port forward rules. When the server sends the response it must reverse this process.

I have even seen some router that took the stupid mode. The never even look at the destination IP they just blindly send it to the ISP. Generally this is fine because technically there are no networks in your house they all exist at the ISP. At this point if the destination IP is actually the router itself it is send to the ISP router. In some cases the ISP router will send the packet back and it will actually correctly pass through the port forwarding rule. It will have a 2 trips over the internet line coming to your house though increasing latency.

In general if you can test using the local lan IP you are better off doing that.

Jun 14, 2022
Ah, I use the Ark Server Manager for hosting, not sure if that makes any difference whatsoever. I just picked up this router assuming it'd be able to do the same thing as my super cheap one, given that it's way more powerful, but since Xfinity had to replace the modem as well as updating their interface, I was having trouble figuring out if it was the router itself with the issue, or if things were simply less user friendly on their end. I definitely don't recall having this much trouble connecting on the same machine, it really is a headache. The Ark server shows up for me under Lan in the steam servers and even recognizes that the server requires a password (as well as showing my friend's character name), but when I try to join it says it's unable to query server info for invite.

Last edited:
Not sure then if the IP you see is the local lan IP. That means your traffic would go directly between the 2 devices on the lan ports and not even go into the router cpu chip.

I am not sure how you can really test this without a second device. Maybe there is a free port checker/scanner ap for a phone you could use.

kanewolf

Titan
Not sure then if the IP you see is the local lan IP. That means your traffic would go directly between the 2 devices on the lan ports and not even go into the router cpu chip.

I am not sure how you can really test this without a second device. Maybe there is a free port checker/scanner ap for a phone you could use.
It is possible that the Xfinity router doesn't support hairpin NAT ...

Jun 14, 2022
I'm actually good now, thank you both so much! I just tried running the server again because I suddenly remembered that I used to need to have the game running before starting ASM in order to join, and it was taking longer to show up on my end additionally. Sure enough it worked, everyone was able to join our old session. You guys really helped me out though, and saved me from further headache, so thank you! I seriously appreciate the walkthrough.