[SOLVED] New router preventing connections

Nov 15, 2020
Hi,
My old router (D-link DWR-118) started to slow down and drop connections. I suspect chipset failure, maybe cold soldering.
I ordered new router TP-LINK AX1500 configured WAN and looked like everything works but there were internet connection issues with some applications.

Epic games launcher couldn't connect to server giving (error code SU-BI-CA). Looks like Epic launcher connects to AWS servers on some custom ports (fix connection issues article)
Same issue with Kodi on my TV (Android TV 8.0), Kodi addons can't connect to internet (local samba shared drive works), but other applications work properly (Netflix, Google play store, Youtube).

I actually ordered second router Xiaomi Mi Router 4A Gigabit Edition and exactly same issues happens with this one.

All apps were working fine on old router.
I have lying around cheap Tp-link TL-WR743ND tried this one as well and same thing happened here, some application can't connect to internet. I tried with stock firmware and then with OpenWRT.

To clarify, old D-Link don't have any custom firewall rules configured, all stock. It's running OpenWrt 19.07.4 with default settings, only WAN configuration and LAN with modified IP subnet.
I reconfigured new TP-Link and Xiaomi to same setting (WAN and LAN).
Old TP-Link TL-WR743ND is also running OpenWRT 18.06.8 with default settings.

Here are firewall setting from OpenWRT (same for D-Link DWR-118 and TP-Link TL-WR743ND ):

AIIrIDf.png

AtgnCt4.png

I also noticed that on new routers I couldn't visit http website, it was blocked but on old D-link works.

What is wrong with these new devices? They limit your connection, Xiaomi don't even have option to configure build in firewall.

Not sure I would actually suspect the PC. Be sure the firewall in the PC does not think it is on a public network. This could have changed if you changed the IP range you use on the router.

I would also try to disable IPV6 on your pc. Maybe the new router supports it and the old one didn't and there is some issues.

These firewall do pretty much nothing, they maybe protect the router itself against denial of service attacks but your internal machines are not visible unless you put in port forward rules. I would not be concerned your other router does not have firewall settings.

The only option I see that stands out is NAT offloading. This is not the cause of your problems but if you use this router you want that feature ON. Without it your router will be limited to about 200mbps transfer rates or less.

Reactions: fluffyToyZ
Nov 15, 2020
I would also try to disable IPV6 on your pc. Maybe the new router supports it and the old one didn't and there is some issues.
Yes, I forgot. I disabled completely IPv6 on TP-Link the one with OpenWRT. It didn't changed anything.

Be sure the firewall in the PC does not think it is on a public network.
But situation with Android TV is very awkward. Today I even did factory reset and still same issue with Kodi.
I tried multiple different DNS, static IP.
I did a test with tethering mobile connection from phone and Kodi works.

And even more ridiculous is that today I wanted to play on Xbox One and another issue. There was message that Internet is connected but console couldn't connect to server, it stayed in offline mode.

I found one shop that have my old D-link model on stock, made an order for new one. I guess if it will work I need to put some radiators on chip to prevent soldering from cracking. It's the one without Pb, as it says on circuit board. Maybe it will extend it's lifetime, current one is 2.5 years old.

Nov 15, 2020
I would suspect your modem if you tried that many routers and have had issues with all of them.

You made me thinking here, I'm behind ISP router with static IP assigned for me to use on WAN.
I called my ISP and apparently they collect MAC address of device and if other device with new MAC connects on same IP they limit internet connection for this device.

So cloning MAC solved my issues... I feel now stupid that I didn't think about cloning MAC earlier.

Thanks for tips.

Reactions: gggplaya