New router recommendation

MRMALTIES

Commendable
Oct 26, 2016
Hi guys,

So I've been looking at getting a new router for the house and I'm in need of recommendations as the current router is just not cutting it anymore. The current router is a TP-Link 300Mbps Wireless N ADSL2+ Modem Router (TD-W8961N) provided by the ISP. I've also got a fairly large home, two floors with 7 rooms in total and entirely made out of concrete. We are on the 15Mbps plan with our ISP.

With our current router, especially during peak hours, where at one time there is about 12 devices connected to the router/modem ping seems to be high and download speeds pretty slow to the point where the solution is to restart the router itself. Two devices are LAN wired through a powerline adapter whereas the rest are connected through wireless. The current router is located upstairs and can reach most of the rooms and living areas downstairs, but going further back will lead to signal loss. Signal strength downstairs is usually about 2-3 bars or around -70 give or take. The current router location is not ideal so I'm looking to move it to a more central and open area, but still upstairs.

I've been looking at the Netgear R7000 and the TP-Link Archer C71750 as they are both decently priced where I live (bear in mind that I live in Asia so I don't have much choice in terms of what I can get aswell as absurd pricing). Are these the right routers I should be looking at ?

Thanks

Solution
i think you are dealing with 3 separate issues here.
1. is your 15Mbps plan, this is the bottleneck, no matter what router you buy, you are still limited at 15 Mbps and thats simply not enough for 12 devices, especially if streaming video is involved.

2. concrete, especially reinforced concrete does not play well with WiFi. you are probably going to need multiple access points, one on each floor.
i would start with a couple of these or similar, add more if necessary.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

3. powerline adapters - get rid of that crap and run a CAT5 cable like a real man.

gbb0330

Reputable
Apr 28, 2015
i think you are dealing with 3 separate issues here.
1. is your 15Mbps plan, this is the bottleneck, no matter what router you buy, you are still limited at 15 Mbps and thats simply not enough for 12 devices, especially if streaming video is involved.

2. concrete, especially reinforced concrete does not play well with WiFi. you are probably going to need multiple access points, one on each floor.
i would start with a couple of these or similar, add more if necessary.

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap/

3. powerline adapters - get rid of that crap and run a CAT5 cable like a real man.

Solution