[SOLVED] New router - single SSID

rbs123

Reputable
Oct 21, 2016
HI - I'm getting a new router from my ISP (Talk Talk in the UK). Currently on my existing router I have the 2Ghz and 5Ghz SSIDs named differently so I can explicitly connect to which I choose. The 5G range on my current router is poor, and so in general I can't get a usable 5G signal beyond the room where the router is...! My house is not that big and it is relatively new so the walls are not that thick (either partition walls or breeze block).

I'm expecting the new router has at least slightly better 5Ghz. But, it comes as standard with both 5Ghz and 2Ghz SSIDs named the same (so one visible network, not two). The ISP said that it has built in "tech" to ensure the best connection is used....And they also said that in order to obtain any support, they would not offer "signal related" support if I separated the SSIDs.

So the question I have is, if I leave the new router with one SSID will phones, tablets, laptops etc always try and use the 5Ghz signal? And if the 5Ghz signal is weaker, for example in my daughters bedroom, will that inevitably mean they will use the 2Ghz signal?

And is there an easy way on for example and iPhone or android phone to confirm whether it is connected to the 5Ghz signal or 2Ghz signal, when both are broadcasting on the same SSID?

Cheers!

Solution
usually you can have a look into the router which device is connected to the wi-fi and to which frequency it is connected
or you can use an app like wifi analyser

in my experience for mobile devices the best bandwidth will be chosen
for static devices like a PC, you can choose yourself which frequency you wanna connect to and is the most stable one.
E.g. I connected a repeater to the router (by wi-fi) and all my devices will connect to the repeater instead of the router. But this is something you will have to test out yourself.
usually you can have a look into the router which device is connected to the wi-fi and to which frequency it is connected
or you can use an app like wifi analyser

in my experience for mobile devices the best bandwidth will be chosen
for static devices like a PC, you can choose yourself which frequency you wanna connect to and is the most stable one.
E.g. I connected a repeater to the router (by wi-fi) and all my devices will connect to the repeater instead of the router. But this is something you will have to test out yourself.

Solution
Most times it is not the router causing the issue. Most router transmit at the full legal power. Many end devices to save power or because of small size do not transmit at the maximum power.

Having the same or different SSID is mostly a matter of preference. I tend to feel the person is smarter than any software for determining the best but people are also lazy so some would rather just hope for the best.

TRENDING THREADS