New router, slower internet

Benji17

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
Hey everyone,

I just got a new linksys router to replace our tenda router that overheated. When I first set it up, every computer could connect to it no problem, except for my own. I could connect, but i was getting download speeds of around 50 KB/s. After rebooting everything, I did a speedtest and got results of 3 Mb/s download speed and .5 Mb/s upload speed. This is less than adequate since the results i would get with the tenda router were more like 20-30 Mb/s download and 5-6 Mb/s upload. Is this just because the new router isn't as good as the old one, or something fixable? I would love to get back to my old speeds, especially since I often download big files like games or movies.

Thanks in advance for any answers!

EDIT: The router i have now is a Linksys E2500, and my computer specs are
Intel core i5-4670k
8 gigs RAM
MSI AMD 7970 OC Boost
Encore N300 PCI-E Wifi adapter

Benji17

Honorable
Dec 28, 2013
OK nevermind about everything, I fixed it by disabling WMM. What WMM does is put priority on streaming movies and gaming and things like that, and slows everything else down. In theory, it's pretty cool, but doesn't work at all. I got my speeds back up to nearly 30 Mb/s (what I pay my ISP for) and upload back to 5 Mb/s.

TRENDING THREADS