NerdyComputerGuy

Distinguished
Hi,

Will a dual core be sufficient for a new router, i currently have Superhub 2 from Virgin Media but I want to upgrade to improve wifi, the one i'm looking at is https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07MQ67TJK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Any quad cores at around the same price?

I read about this asus router and it says it is dual core.

There is usually my PC connected, my bros ps4, ipad and phone, my moms phone and my phone and sometimes my bros laptop. The superhub 2 does it find atm but sometimes the wifi cuts out and doesnt give the best speed and plus I want something newer as my SH2 is from 2013, i heard bad reviews about SH3 so don't want that.

Solution
What do you mean faster performance on what application.

The dirty secret for a number of year has been they moved the NAT function off the CPU to some other hardware. This allows the traffic to pass the router at gigabit speeds. It drops to about 250mbps if you run the traffic through the CPU chip.

Even very inexpensive routers can pass 1gbit of traffic wan-lan with that feature since it is not using the cpu. This is of course on ethernet connected wifi is bottle necked by the wifi.

You have to remember 1/2 your connection is your end devices and if they can't use a feature on the router it is a waste of money to buy it. Many end device for example do not support mu-mimo. On the router you link I think it support 600 on...
A router is not really a computer and does not work the same. The number of cores and cpu speed are not really a factor when it comes to wifi function. There are 2 other chips/cpu that run the radio bands. They pretty much function independently of the main cpu. The main cpu other than passing data to the radio chips and loading the firmware on boot does not have a lot of interaction with the radio chips.

The main thing the the cpu speed and maybe the number of cores can impact would be if you are running VPN on the router or using other function like firewalls and NAS functionality.

Used to be the ISP devices were crap but now that the radio chipset have gotten a lot cheaper many times you will find the exact same radio chipset in the ISP routers as some of the name brand routers. There really are only about 3 big manufactures of radio chips.

Wifi is extremely hard to find the issues. 1/2 your connection is the end device and most times those are the devices that do not have the feature or transmit at full power. So your device maybe able to hear the router but it does not have enough power to send signal back.

In many cases the problems are interference from neighbors wifi. You can do little about it. Change the radio channels is about all there is to try but that does little good when people are running multiple router and mesh units in their house.

You have to be very careful about any review. None of the consumer reviews are scientific. They are rating how good it works in their house, with their neighbors wifi and with their devices. They pretty much mean nothing because your environment is likely much different. The only thing you want to watch for in reviews is people complaining about hardware and software failures. All router manufactures get bad product from time to time.

NerdyComputerGuy

Distinguished
A router is not really a computer and does not work the same. The number of cores and cpu speed are not really a factor when it comes to wifi function. There are 2 other chips/cpu that run the radio bands. They pretty much function independently of the main cpu. The main cpu other than passing data to the radio chips and loading the firmware on boot does not have a lot of interaction with the radio chips.

The main thing the the cpu speed and maybe the number of cores can impact would be if you are running VPN on the router or using other function like firewalls and NAS functionality.

Used to be the ISP devices were crap but now that the radio chipset have gotten a lot cheaper many times you will find the exact same radio chipset in the ISP routers as some of the name brand routers. There really are only about 3 big manufactures of radio chips.

Wifi is extremely hard to find the issues. 1/2 your connection is the end device and most times those are the devices that do not have the feature or transmit at full power. So your device maybe able to hear the router but it does not have enough power to send signal back.

In many cases the problems are interference from neighbors wifi. You can do little about it. Change the radio channels is about all there is to try but that does little good when people are running multiple router and mesh units in their house.

You have to be very careful about any review. None of the consumer reviews are scientific. They are rating how good it works in their house, with their neighbors wifi and with their devices. They pretty much mean nothing because your environment is likely much different. The only thing you want to watch for in reviews is people complaining about hardware and software failures. All router manufactures get bad product from time to time.

Doesn't faster core speed and more cores = faster performance for end user on wired or wireless?

Also, what router would you recommend for me, i think the asus one i linked is the best one that is recent (sep 2018) and cheap.

What do you mean faster performance on what application.

The dirty secret for a number of year has been they moved the NAT function off the CPU to some other hardware. This allows the traffic to pass the router at gigabit speeds. It drops to about 250mbps if you run the traffic through the CPU chip.

Even very inexpensive routers can pass 1gbit of traffic wan-lan with that feature since it is not using the cpu. This is of course on ethernet connected wifi is bottle necked by the wifi.

You have to remember 1/2 your connection is your end devices and if they can't use a feature on the router it is a waste of money to buy it. Many end device for example do not support mu-mimo. On the router you link I think it support 600 on 2.4g. This is using a non standard data encoding that is not supported by many devices. The official standard only allows for 3x150 or 450.

The vast majority of user devices only have 2 antenna so buying ones that can do 3x3 or 4x4 mimo does not go any faster. This means a router with a 1200 number matches most end devices. Price wise there is not much difference between 1200 and say 1750 even though a 1750 is also 3x3.

Just carefully look at what you really can use and do not get conned by the marketing guys and their "bigger" number is better scam.

Solution