[SOLVED] New RTX 2070 super stutter and random restarts

hagridas

Reputable
Jun 8, 2017
Hello, recently I upgraded my 1060 6gb to a new Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super.
However everything went south and I have a problem that I cannot solve myself :/
Before installing the new GPU I used DDU to uninstall drivers and then connected the GPU.
However it stutters in games and random restarts. My pc just restarted while playing a game and then while watching YT. Event handler gave me error 41 "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly."
I thought that my 6+ years old Fractal Design Essence 600w psu insnt enough and bought a Gigabyte B700H 700w Bronze. However, it didnt help, pc restarted again while playing (this time i had an oc on gpu) (no restart while browsing/watching YT yet)

Temperatures are good.
High performance in Nvidia control panel
My specs:
  • R5 2600x (PBO on) CPU
  • MSI B450m Mortar MOBO
  • 2 x 8gb 2933mhz RAM
  • Gigabyte B700H 700W Bronze PSU
  • 1440p 144hz g-sync compatible monitor
  • RTX 2070 super

Things I tried, that didnt help:
  • Bios update
  • Different GPU Drivers (446.12, 445.87, 442.59)
  • Changed PSU
  • Used 2 PCIe cables instead of 1 (Old PSU only had 1 daisy chained PCIe cable)
  • Increased TDR delay in regedit to 10 (not sure what it is, suggested by a reddit user)

Things Im aware of and might try later:
  • Reinstall windows (cannot do it rn because of university)

Solution
I still have it, not sure if I have another computer to try/person to help me.

I would reinstall the 1060 and run the computer for a couple days. See if it crashes. If not, then put the 2070 back in. If it starts crashing again, it could be a faulty card. Putting it into another computer is a similar test. It would nice if you could do it, but not required.

BTW ... the GeForce 10 series and 20 series use the same exact drivers (unified driver). Reinstalling drivers should not be required unless you run into some issues.
@hagridas

Do you still have the 1060? If the system runs just fine with the 1060, then I think you received a faulty card (it happens). Changing the PSU and reinstalling the drivers were good things to try. The only other thought I have is putting the 2070 Super into another computer ... if that computer then starts to have issues, then a faulty card is very likely the reason.

May 30, 2020
I had the exact same issue, I fixed it by:
  • Replugging the power supply cable that was connected to my GPU. If it's a 6 + 2 pin, make sure you dont connect them seperately, but with one click.
  • Using a new extension cord for your power and monitors.

Let me know if this helps.

hagridas

Reputable
Jun 8, 2017
@hagridas

Do you still have the 1060? If the system runs just fine with the 1060, then I think you received a faulty card (it happens). Changing the PSU and reinstalling the drivers were good things to try. The only other thought I have is putting the 2070 Super into another computer ... if that computer then starts to have issues, then a faulty card is very likely the reason.

Your CPU works harder with the new card. What are the temps? Is there an OC to it?
Cpu is around 65-80C, pretty hot, but doesnt throttle. No OC, only PBO on CPU and XMP on RAM

I had the exact same issue, I fixed it by:
  • Replugging the power supply cable that was connected to my GPU. If it's a 6 + 2 pin, make sure you dont connect them seperately, but with one click.
  • Using a new extension cord for your power and monitors.
Let me know if this helps.
My PSU has 2 cables, both have 2 (6+2 connectors), so 4 in total. I use 1 from one cable and 1 from another, plugged with a single click as far as I remember

I would reinstall the 1060 and run the computer for a couple days. See if it crashes. If not, then put the 2070 back in. If it starts crashing again, it could be a faulty card. Putting it into another computer is a similar test. It would nice if you could do it, but not required.

BTW ... the GeForce 10 series and 20 series use the same exact drivers (unified driver). Reinstalling drivers should not be required unless you run into some issues.

Solution

hagridas

Reputable
Jun 8, 2017

@anotherdrew
I didnt try 1060 yet. I resintalled windows, have no OC on card and it didnt crash yet. Games like Doom 2016 runs good. GTA 5 and KF2 acceptable, but on fortnite im getting insane lag spikes/stutters especially while landing. Are u sure about unified drivers? I didnt find any info about it on the internet.

@anotherdrew
I didnt try 1060 yet. I resintalled windows, have no OC on card and it didnt crash yet. Games like Doom 2016 runs good. GTA 5 and KF2 acceptable, but on fortnite im getting insane lag spikes/stutters especially while landing. Are u sure about unified drivers? I didnt find any info about it on the internet.
If you go to the driver section on the nVidia website and pull up the latest driver and then click supported products ... you will see that the driver supports a number of different products. But, if you don't feel comfortable with that, you can also reinstall the drivers.