New RTX 2080 Ventus 8G Crashes With Multiple Games, no GPU O/Cing..

Sithtiger

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Hi, I upgrade from an MSI GTX 1070 Gaming 8G, 4th gen i7 4790k O/C to an Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming SLI/ac, 16GB of G.Skill DDR 4 PC3200. Using XMP profile and slightly O/Ced i5 9600k to 4.6GHz. Anyway, it was rock solid with O/Ced 1070 Core +185MHz memory +475MHz. Anyway, everything was until I started testing it on games. I uninstalled the newest driver. Since the 1070 and 2080 use the same one, but use DDU. Bought MSI RTX 2080 Ventus 8G Installed 417.71 again. Oh, I have a Dell SE2717Hr 27 inch that only has two outputs. A VGA and an HDMI. On my 1070 I'd use the HDMI to port to the TV and DVI-D using an HDMI cable with an HDMI to DVI-D adapter. Now, I have to use HDMI to Display port cable. No added adapter, just the input to the computer has a Display Port connector. Anyway, I didn't O/C it at first, played BFV for a few hours, no problem. Then I played Warhammer 40000K Retribution and it crashed immediately. I thought it was the game. Then I tried playing SWTOR, Star Wars: The Old Republic and it ran fan for a while, but it crashed. When it crashes it's a hard crash and causes a complete reset. If I use Kombustor, it crashes after about 5 seconds...hard crash...no BSOD.

One thing that I've noticed though is when my core clock can go up to 2045....something like that, memory 70000. Its boost clock is only supposed to be 1710. I know it can go higher, but why is it auto Overclocking when I don't have anything running. No Afterburner, nothing? It usually hangs around 1800 to 1860, but why? So when I set Afterburner Core to 0 and memory 0 (meaning I want it to run at stock speeds) it still O/Cs there too. I've tried doing that while setting a high custom fan curve. When it crashes, it's usually in the low 60c, sometimes lower. Would anyone happen to know why this is happening?

Oh, I don't know if this means anything, but when I opened up the packing, the box itself was in perfect condition, but there was no plastic wrap on it and no tape on either side. It looks brand new, but they ALWAYS have tape on them at least... I'm worried this was a return or something. Anyway, if anyone has any idea, I'd be grateful!

Bottom line is I think it's overclocking and I don't have Afterburner running, I've disabled it. How is it auto O/Cing past 1710MHz up to 200MHz sometimes by itself and how do I stop it?

Thanks in advance!

seithan

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I think that the smart boost has been a thing since the 1xxx line. You cant really set a static clock to run to.
So i'd say , there is nothing you, as an end-user can do about it.

Sithtiger

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2007
Well, I returned my card, got a new one. This was has been rock solid. It didn't crash one time except when I used Kombuster, but it was an old version I noticed. Still, the other GPU was busted because it crashed on SWTOR after 30 minutes and Warhammer 40K....forget which one as it started. OK, this has been fine up until a little while ago. I was playing Apex Legends....was on for about an hour and boom, I got a reboot. The event managed logged it. So I played it again, but I loaded GPU-Z and I saw my temps were just climbing and climbing. Anyway, I loaded afterburner with just a modified fan profile. I'm not O/Cing either.

So, should I return this one too because it did overheat at stock settings? It just got too hot, but the fans were on, but didn't engage faster like they should. If I run MSI Afterburner, it's fine. Actually, I can run MSI Afterburner with it O/Ced and it's fine. What do you think?

I'm thinking I should just keep it. I have a 3 year warranty on it, so I'm OK. This is just pissing me off. I know the 2080 Ti's had a memory issue with Micron memory I think it was, but a few 2080's had it too and my last card had the Micron RAM. This one has Samsung VRAM, which doesn't seem to have issues. This is simply a fan problem.