[SOLVED] New RTX 3070 restarts pc (even with new quality 850w PSU)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2021
Hello guys!

In depth details about the problem:

I changed my VGA from a GTX 1080TI-to an INNO3D RTX 3070 ICHILL 3x. After playing some games my pc restarted without BSOD after 10-20 mins into the game. The screen just blacked out then instant reboot. Then I ran quite a few benchmarks and stress tests. It didnt reboot. Then i downloaded MSI Afterbourner, and changed the voltage setting (something to 9.56v ~ 1980mhz). With this undervolting I could play without problems. Then I tried what if i reset the settings and allow 108% TDP. I ran heaven benchmark and furmarks cpu burner for couple of minutes then restart came.

So I came to a conclusion whether my PSU is faulty or weak. It was an 1 years old Corsair RM650X which handled the 1080TI perfectly fine. I replaced it today with an NZXT C850 . I had to reassemble the whole pc to change the psu. So i double checked if anything was loose or not pluged all the way in. I used two separate PCIE cables too. I tried to play a game with the stock settings. It also rebooted after couple of minutes.

In my system everything is stock. I didnt oc-d anything. I never touched anything in the BIOS. I even DDU-d the old drivers in safe mode and installed a new one. Then i went back to an older driver.
All the temps are super good too (max 65C GPU 40-50C cpu). I reinstalled windows checked all the drivers.

The strange thing is that the card doesnt look faulty, everything is smooth and looks cool. The problem only occures when i dont restrict the gpu voltage. And even with stock setting I can play for couple of minutes. It even rebooted after 5-10 mins with stock settings when I was standing in one place in games more demanding than Valorant. I ran out of ideas. It is true that I could use my system perfectly with undervolting but I want everything to work as it should be if I spend that much on a VGA and a new PSU. This change in voltage setting wouldnt point to a bad power outlet in my house or something to houses wiring i think.

System specs:

WIndows 10 64 bit latest updates

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus pro motherboard (BIOS F11)
Intel I7 8700K CPU STOCK
DARK ROCK PRO 4 Cooler
4x4 GB Hyper X Fury DDR4 2666Mhz ram (XMP OFF)
INNO3D RTX 3070 ICHILL X3 VGA
2x Samsung SSD-s (SATA).
Gigabyte G32QC monitor connected with HDMI cable
Gladius 2 wireless mouse
Soundblaster G6 external soundcard

Many thanks in advance

Solution
Oh yes i see. F12K's main fix is to do with Vcore, memory and security vulnerabilities. Nothing to do with any possible incompatible issues with new graphics cards.

More than likely the card's power system is faulty and you're better off returning it.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I doubt it's house or PSU power related, not even your old PSU. The 1080Ti ran fine for how long? Yeah, for a good while without issue. Why all of a sudden?.

Update your motherboard's bios if available. If the 3070 still trips the PSU, which it looks like it is, return it for a replacement. Try a different brand if possible.

Jan 8, 2021
I doubt it's house or PSU power related, not even your old PSU. The 1080Ti ran fine for how long? Yeah, for a good while without issue. Why all of a sudden?.

Update your motherboard's bios if available. If the 3070 still trips the PSU, which it looks like it is, return it for a replacement. Try a different brand if possible.
Ty. I will try it. But gigabyte update software only show f11 bios. Only the website shows f12k

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Oh yes i see. F12K's main fix is to do with Vcore, memory and security vulnerabilities. Nothing to do with any possible incompatible issues with new graphics cards.

More than likely the card's power system is faulty and you're better off returning it.

Reactions: Marszelovich
Solution
Jan 8, 2021
Hello guys!

In depth details about the problem:

I changed my VGA from a GTX 1080TI-to an INNO3D RTX 3070 ICHILL 3x. After playing some games my pc restarted without BSOD after 10-20 mins into the game. The screen just blacked out then instant reboot. Then I ran quite a few benchmarks and stress tests. It didnt reboot. Then i downloaded MSI Afterbourner, and changed the voltage setting (something to 9.56v ~ 1980mhz). With this undervolting I could play without problems. Then I tried what if i reset the settings and allow 108% TDP. I ran heaven benchmark and furmarks cpu burner for couple of minutes then restart came.

So I came to a conclusion whether my PSU is faulty or weak. It was an 1 years old Corsair RM650X which handled the 1080TI perfectly fine. I replaced it today with an NZXT C850 . I had to reassemble the whole pc to change the psu. So i double checked if anything was loose or not pluged all the way in. I used two separate PCIE cables too. I tried to play a game with the stock settings. It also rebooted after couple of minutes.

In my system everything is stock. I didnt oc-d anything. I never touched anything in the BIOS. I even DDU-d the old drivers in safe mode and installed a new one. Then i went back to an older driver.
All the temps are super good too (max 65C GPU 40-50C cpu). I reinstalled windows checked all the drivers.

The strange thing is that the card doesnt look faulty, everything is smooth and looks cool. The problem only occures when i dont restrict the gpu voltage. And even with stock setting I can play for couple of minutes. It even rebooted after 5-10 mins with stock settings when I was standing in one place in games more demanding than Valorant. I ran out of ideas. It is true that I could use my system perfectly with undervolting but I want everything to work as it should be if I spend that much on a VGA and a new PSU. This change in voltage setting wouldnt point to a bad power outlet in my house or something to houses wiring i think.

System specs:

WIndows 10 64 bit latest updates

Gigabyte Z390 Aorus pro motherboard (BIOS F11)
Intel I7 8700K CPU STOCK
DARK ROCK PRO 4 Cooler
4x4 GB Hyper X Fury DDR4 2666Mhz ram (XMP OFF)
INNO3D RTX 3070 ICHILL X3 VGA
2x Samsung SSD-s (SATA).
Gigabyte G32QC monitor connected with HDMI cable
Gladius 2 wireless mouse
Soundblaster G6 external soundcard

Many thanks in advance
The 3070 takes a 12 pin power supply. The 1080 ti only uses 8....did you use the correct one

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS