Question New RTX 3080 displays signal for a few seconds before losing signal

SirCobalt

Honorable
Mar 28, 2016
So my roommate recently bought an EVGA FTW RTX 3080. When we built his new computer and booted it up, it booted like normal but after maybe 4 or 5 seconds the monitor lost signal. I looked in BIOS and it doesn't detect the GPU at all. I even took my card out of my computer and put his card in mine and it did the same thing. My BIOS doesn't detect any card in the PCI slot. But it's strange that it outputted signal for 5 seconds before losing all signal.

Would like to add that it only outputs the signal for the 5 seconds after swapping computers. If I reseat it it doesn't do anything or show any signal. I would have to take it out and put it in my computer to get the signal for the few seconds. The lights turn on and the fans spin and everything on boot.

Any suggestions on what I could do?

Any suggestions on what I could do?
Return it. Same problem with the same graphics card in multiple systems that otherwise work normally and both have an adequate power supply installed, can really only be a problem with the graphics card itself given your symptoms.

In the interest of not convicting something needlessly though, it would be a good idea to know what the EXACT models of the power supplies being used with this card in EACH of these systems is, because the RTX 3080 recommends the use of a good 700w or higher power supply and we know that inferior power supplies tend to not work well with these power hungry cards.

SirCobalt

Honorable
Mar 28, 2016
In the interest of not convicting something needlessly though, it would be a good idea to know what the EXACT models of the power supplies being used with this card in EACH of these systems is, because the RTX 3080 recommends the use of a good 700w or higher power supply and we know that inferior power supplies tend to not work well with these power hungry cards.

I have a rmx 1000W in my build that powers my RTX 3090 FE perfectly so I think that's adequate there. My friend got a 850W which I believe should be good enough for a 3080 and an i5

I'd contact them directly, asap, and inform them that:

1. It's been tried in two different systems, both using RMx power supplies of more than adequate capacity.

2. Been tried in two different systems, period, with (I would assume) different internal hardware and motherboards.

3. You need to file an RMA and get a warranty replacement.

Because I can't think of any reason why one card would do the same thing in two different systems, with entirely different hardware (I will assume anyhow), and good power supplies. Can we assume that you have a graphics card in your system which works fine, and perhaps has been tried in the other system too, just to be sure? In truth though, even if you don't want to go through testing your card on his board, I'd be really, really surprised if the problem wasn't simply a bad card given the history to this point.

Would be a good idea to verify that another graphics card DOES work in that system though, before 100% convicting the graphics card.

SirCobalt

Honorable
Mar 28, 2016
Because I can't think of any reason why one card would do the same thing in two different systems, with entirely different hardware (I will assume anyhow), and good power supplies. Can we assume that you have a graphics card in your system which works fine, and perhaps has been tried in the other system too, just to be sure? In truth though, even if you don't want to go through testing your card on his board, I'd be really, really surprised if the problem wasn't simply a bad card given the history to this point.
Would be a good idea to verify that another graphics card DOES work in that system though, before 100% convicting the graphics card.

Yeah I have an RTX 3090 that works perfectly fine in my system. I tried my old 2080 in his system and it works perfectly there. I just wanted to ask others if there could possibly be any other thing I was missing before sentencing his graphics card to an RMA.