Question new RTX2060 low fps with low utilizations?

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
Hi guys!

I recently bought an RTX 2060. I have a 75hz monitor.

The problem is simple. I want to use vsync. BUT my system can't keep up the 75 fps in this game, even without vsync, like in this video:
View: https://youtu.be/bOHvZWFBnLA?t=32

wit all cpu cores shown with MSI Afterburner:
View: https://youtu.be/W95dK_s3ag8

But the CPU and GPU usage is far from full utilization.

Any advice about this?

• Fresh install of windows 10
  • All drivers are updated.
  • Power management options set to full everywhere
  • I checked with the new ui, the same
Config:
cpu: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
ram: 16GB DDR4 (dual channel running on 3000 mhz)
gpu: GeForce RTX™ 2060 WINDFORCE OC 6G (rev. 2.0)
mobo: ASRock AB305 Pro4
ssd: Samsung EVO 860 250GB (the game on this)

The same with other games for example F1 2015. I think it cant be a cpu bottleneck.

Extra info:
  • Before I had a GTX 1050 Ti, and the GPU was utilized at 100% all the time in every game.
  • RTX2060 Heaven Benchmark: Score: 2366, FPS: 93.9 -> here the GPU was utilized 98% all the time, so I think this is good result (I hope so)...
Thanks,
Pety100

Last edited:

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
Could you try Unigine Heaven/Valley/Superposition see if you get full utilization at 720p or 1080p?

I want to see if decently optimized benchmark does better, than, say an older game. Just for a baseline.

Here you are:

I overclocked my CPU to 3,7 GHZ then made these "benchmarks":

F1 2015:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFEjkSbRUeU

rFactor 2:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ5tToY__c8
(at 56 sec...quite interesting why low GPU usage)

Not better as I feel with the overclock :( Okay, I see that in F1 2015 the CPU is utilized more, but still not 100%.

Unigine Heaven benchmark in 1280x720:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGj9Aj7VgPE
(at 3rd scene the gpu utilization is only 66% but no idea why)

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Sorry for not answering sooner, was at work! :)

Well, overall, your GPU in Heaven is fully utilized at around 95-96% and your CPU is hardly working(that lazy sumb*tch).
What you want is a GPU working at above 90% and at maximum depending on core count, around 60-80% CPU usage, anything above that and you start running into stutters and frame drops, as you run out of clockcycles to feed the GPU.

Not sure about scene 21, but I have seen that before on both AMD and Intel systems across many Graphics cards, seems to be just a thing apparently.
I'm an idiot, Scene 21 maxed out your CPU it's ticking away at 100%, in that scene you are limited by your CPU, Heaven is single core.

Conclusion from your Heaven run, is that things are working as intended, I'm thinking your culprit is the games you're playing unfortunately., combined with the fact that they are single core specific. Your CPU is running out of juice as you're bumping up against 80-100% on the single core often.

TL;DR: You might want to upgrade the CPU a generation or two.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: xD 3600 and the 3300X are your prospective targets if you're wanting to upgrade. I'm not trusting your VRM with anything more that 6 cores.

Last edited:
Reactions: pety100

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
Sorry for not answering sooner, was at work! :)

Well, overall, your GPU in Heaven is fully utilized at around 95-96% and your CPU is hardly working(that lazy sumb*tch).
What you want is a GPU working at above 90% and at maximum depending on core count, around 60-80% CPU usage, anything above that and you start running into stutters and frame drops, as you run out of clockcycles to feed the GPU.

Not sure about scene 21, but I have seen that before on both AMD and Intel systems across many Graphics cards, seems to be just a thing apparently.
I'm an idiot, Scene 21 maxed out your CPU it's ticking away at 100%, in that scene you are limited by your CPU, Heaven is single core.

Conclusion from your Heaven run, is that things are working as intended, I'm thinking your culprit is the games you're playing unfortunately., combined with the fact that they are single core specific. Your CPU is running out of juice as you're bumping up against 80-100% on the single core often.

TL;DR: You might want to upgrade the CPU a generation or two.

EDIT EDIT EDIT: xD 3600 and the 3300X are your prospective targets if you're wanting to upgrade. I'm not trusting your VRM with anything more that 6 cores.

Well, easy to tell that cpu is weak. But I watched more videos and articles on the internet before buying RTX2060, and I saw that RTX2060 and Ryzen 5 1600 is a very good pair. But let me to refute you with that video:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3eWiyRVWD8

As you can see, none of the cores go above 65%, and GPU usage is only 70-80%. I can't believe that's normal.
Ryzen 5 1600 can't be such a piece of <Mod Edit> cpu, even in WoT, which is a well-optimized game. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
WoT is not just a well optimized game, is probably a favorite of mine as it can use ALL cores for rendering and client handling. Even so the game engine still have limits depending on the scenery and other tasks. It's not always cut 'n dry between CPU usage and GPU usage, but it's a general rule.

Do you know how to use DSR - Dynamic Super Resolution?

Play a WoT session with DSR set to 1.5x or 2x native resolution, if you are getting more GPU usage and fewer frames as a result, the verdict is final, your CPU is simply no longer able to play catch up.

You can try getting to 4 Ghz on the CPU and if you're lucky trying to hit 3200 Mhz on your ram speed.

I mean, even searching Ryzen 1600 + 2060 on youtube and you'll be seeing the same thing, depending on the game, CPU utilization versus GPU varies immensely, and it shows pretty much what you're seeing here, not just from different game engines and situations, but also OC's and RAM speeds.

As an example

I can't really say anything to convince you it seems, but if you look at my specs, my CPU is worse than yours by a decent margin, the reason I get 90%+ out of my GPU, is because I play in 1440p and 4K, in all other situations, I'm getting rofl-stomped and CPU would struggle handling multiplayer client and trying to get 100+ FPS in 1080p. xD

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
WoT is not just a well optimized game, is probably a favorite of mine as it can use ALL cores for rendering and client handling. Even so the game engine still have limits depending on the scenery and other tasks. It's not always cut 'n dry between CPU usage and GPU usage, but it's a general rule.

Do you know how to use DSR - Dynamic Super Resolution?

Play a WoT session with DSR set to 1.5x or 2x native resolution, if you are getting more GPU usage and fewer frames as a result, the verdict is final, your CPU is simply no longer able to play catch up.

You can try getting to 4 Ghz on the CPU and if you're lucky trying to hit 3200 Mhz on your ram speed.

I mean, even searching Ryzen 1600 + 2060 on youtube and you'll be seeing the same thing, depending on the game, CPU utilization versus GPU varies immensely, and it shows pretty much what you're seeing here, not just from different game engines and situations, but also OC's and RAM speeds.

As an example

I can't really say anything to convince you it seems, but if you look at my specs, my CPU is worse than yours by a decent margin, the reason I get 90%+ out of my GPU, is because I play in 1440p and 4K, in all other situations, I'm getting rofl-stomped and CPU would struggle handling multiplayer client and trying to get 100+ FPS in 1080p. xD

DSR wont hurt my monitor, right? How to enable this option? Where?

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
It's in Nvidia controlpanel, in a drop down menu under DSR Factor.

View: https://imgur.com/OHl2k5s

If I set WoT to 4K, I have 96% gpu usage all time, and about 55-60 fps. 96% is pretty good, but I wonder this is why not 98 or 99 percent. So it seems that I have a huge CPU bottleneck here (?). I can't believe this :/ I thought that if the cpu utilization is not 100% none of the cores i have no cpu bottleneck, but maybe I was wrong... I simply don't understand it, but it's okay, I will buy later a ryzen 5 3600, I hope it will be enough.

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
It's not always straight forward unfortunately, different CPU's have different IPC's and some game engines are just better at utilizing CPU's(Witcher 3, Kingdom Come Deliverance as examples). Your CPU bottleneck isn't really that big, you are still getting well over 120+ FPS and the only one who can say whether that's OK or not and that's you.
Yes, you are losing a little of the money spent on your graphics card, but as I see it, it's not THAT much.

To me it would be fine, but that's just because of the games I play, but I understand if you're unhappy, that's the way it goes. :)

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
It's not always straight forward unfortunately, different CPU's have different IPC's and some game engines are just better at utilizing CPU's(Witcher 3, Kingdom Come Deliverance as examples). Your CPU bottleneck isn't really that big, you are still getting well over 120+ FPS and the only one who can say whether that's OK or not and that's you.
Yes, you are losing a little of the money spent on your graphics card, but as I see it, it's not THAT much.

To me it would be fine, but that's just because of the games I play, but I understand if you're unhappy, that's the way it goes. :)

I'm unhappy. Because I have 15% cpu usage in rFactor 2, 60-70% of the cores are on 0%, and gpu usage is ~70%... Nonsense.

Last edited:

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019

But anyway. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it. I need a cpu which is strong on one core. Maybe a
AMD Ryzen™ 3 3300X would be a very good choice. 4 core, but 3,8 ghz, I think that shoul be enough for an RTX2060, right?

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
I would go for the 3600 Pety, it's a fairly small amount more.

Have you OC'd your 1600 some more? Just keep temperatures in gaming under 80-85 degrees. Remember to validate your OC's by running Cinebench for a while.(or Prime95 small FFT, but this a true torture test, keep an eye on temps).
I'd keep Vcore maximum 1.35-1.37.

Last edited:

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
I would go for the 3600 Pety, it's a fairly small amount more.

Have you OC'd your 1600 some more? Just keep temperatures in gaming under 80-85 degrees. Remember to validate your OC's by running Cinebench for a while.(or Prime95 small FFT, but this a true torture test, keep an eye on temps).
I'd keep Vcore maximum 1.35-1.37.

I OC'd my cpu to 3,8 GHZ (+1,30V) but I didn't see any change in fps, neither in GPU usage. Maybe not the MHZ which is making the bottleneck. (But in Cinebench I get better results than with stock clock, so actually OC is working, but no effect in games.)

I think I should try a (free) game on steam which is GPU demanding. But I don't know which game is only GPU demanding.

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Technically you don't need an intensive game, all you have to do is play with DSR, which increases load on your GPU. WoT is a decent game for that, it's all core and fairly well optimized.

If you want to test if your OC did anything, play in the resolution you used to and see if anything is better, or run some benchmarks.

Lower resolution and quality settings reduce your GPU usage and increases your CPU usage instead, since your CPU has to work faster with more frames to push through.

May 27, 2020
Just wanted to ask which slot on your mobo you have your graphics card in? I moved my 2070 super to the 2nd slot to allow more breathing room between the GPU and CPU, but later realized (from low GPU utilization) that my 2nd PCI-E slot did not allows the full x16 speeds. That might be the culprit if you have it in the 2nd or 3rd slots.

P.S. I would buy a Ryzen 5 3600X if your gonna upgrade CPUs. Skip over the 3300X and go for that 6 core, games are becoming optimized for higher cores.

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
Just wanted to ask which slot on your mobo you have your graphics card in? I moved my 2070 super to the 2nd slot to allow more breathing room between the GPU and CPU, but later realized (from low GPU utilization) that my 2nd PCI-E slot did not allows the full x16 speeds. That might be the culprit if you have it in the 2nd or 3rd slots.

P.S. I would buy a Ryzen 5 3600X if your gonna upgrade CPUs. Skip over the 3300X and go for that 6 core, games are becoming optimized for higher cores.

But I don't play new games. I play mostly rFactor 2, which is very badly optimized. More than half of the cores are running on 0% but CPU bottlenecks tha game like WTF! So I need CPU which is stronger on one core. And the 3300X is stronger a bit than 3600 and cheaper too!

Of yourse I put the GPU in the correct slot. I checked it with GPU-Z too.