Question New RX 5600 XT seems to be preventing Win10 Startup

Jun 3, 2020
Type: Desktop, custom build.
GPU: Gigabyte 5600 XT gaming OC. Seated in premiere x16 slot. Currently using default bios (.F2)
CPU: AMD FX(tm)-8350
Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming
RAM: 2x8GB DDR3
PSU: EVGA 650W Gold
Operating Win 10 Home, 64bit. All available updates current.
GPU Drivers: Brand new, came out 25 May 2020. 20.5.1 All drivers have the same issue. Windows default adapter starts up perfectly fine.

Chipset Drivers: Mobo/Processor is fully updated according to MSI mobo updater program.
Background Applications: Nadda, even tried clean boot.

So this issue persists regardless of GPU drivers, regardless of any MSCONFIG boot settings.

Having major issues BOOTING my PC 9/10 times, it gets passed BIOS and just hangs. Sometimes black screen (not hdmi output), sometimes little windows loading circle frozen, sometimes login splash screen frozen.

Typically on the 3rd boot - I get the option for safe mode, which boots fine. Then if I "reset" from safe mode, system boots up normally. Until I cold start again. Even power off/on works, but not if i leave it off for a while.

I have no issues w/boot using Windows Defaults Display Adapter, so seems it's GPU Driver related. 5500XT works great playing games - this seems to be my only issue.

I know the MOBO pcie slots are 2.0, and card is capable of 4.0, but should be fully backwards compatible and not cause issues?

Fans are still running, RGB on card still active when this happens.

I have already reseated everything, reinstalled windows, used DDU/reinstall 100 times. Fast boot is turned off. Memtest good. Any ideas what's happening here? It's so odd that the card works fine, but wont startup properly from cold.

Jun 3, 2020
in bios see if the pci-e option is first one for video then could you try the gpu in the second pci-e slot bott with generic and install driver then restart to see if issue is on .

My BIOS has no PCIe options anywhere.

There is another PCIe slot (secondary), but my card won't fit in it due to the rest of the mobo peices. (very thick, 3 fan card)

Jun 3, 2020
Have the same problem, I have to boot my pc a few times to use it, reaches logon, reboots and display keeps without signal. I have the same problem if i put my system to sleep for a few hours. When a wake it up theres no signal. Did you try that?.. a few hours of sleep mode, not just a few minutes.. I wrote to Gigabyte support and they told me to RMA the card. If this is your issue, forget about windows drivers, if you try with a linux on a pendrive you will see the same problem. I will return mine, Ver1 of these board arent compatible with the new and quicker Vbios. So.. dont want it really..Good Luck!

Jun 3, 2020
Have the same problem, I have to boot my pc a few times to use it, reaches logon, reboots and display keeps without signal. I have the same problem if i put my system to sleep for a few hours. When a wake it up theres no signal. Did you try that?.. a few hours of sleep mode, not just a few minutes.. I wrote to Gigabyte support and they told me to RMA the card. If this is your issue, forget about windows drivers, if you try with a linux on a pendrive you will see the same problem. I will return mine, Ver1 of these board arent compatible with the new and quicker Vbios. So.. dont want it really..Good Luck!

If it sleeps for a while, yeah the video dies. This is a relatively common problem with the RX 5600 XT, which I expect to be fixed with future drivers.

I don't really care about that if I can just reboot it - but I can't. I feel like there's some kinda hardware incompatibility I'm not aware of.

Jun 3, 2020
If it sleeps for a while, yeah the video dies. This is a relatively common problem with the RX 5600 XT, which I expect to be fixed with future drivers.

I don't really care about that if I can just reboot it - but I can't. I feel like there's some kinda hardware incompatibility I'm not aware of.

I saw the same problem that we have in the AMD forum, always the gigabyte gaming model. In my case i have a brand new Ryzen and Asus mobo, kingston fury ram.. I dont know about the drivers as with linux debian (totally different drivers) happens the same with sleep mode. RMA is working sooo slow since the covid outbreak..(at least in my country). Good luck!!!

Jun 3, 2020
Gigabyte released 3 new bios , FA1, F3 and F61 but only for REV 2.

Mine is ver 1.0, and thus running the F2 bios.

However,
Funny thing this morning.. Initial startup (black screen as per usual), second start - I let it sit in BIOS for 5mins, and rebooted - golden.
It's almost as though it had to warm up before working.. The whole needing safemode+reset thing may have just been a time killing solution.
Maybe I just got lucky on that second boot, will need furthur testing...

Jun 3, 2020
Mine is ver 1.0, and thus running the F2 bios.

However,
Funny thing this morning.. Initial startup (black screen as per usual), second start - I let it sit in BIOS for 5mins, and rebooted - golden.
It's almost as though it had to warm up before working.. The whole needing safemode+reset thing may have just been a time killing solution.
Maybe I just got lucky on that second boot, will need furthur testing...

im sure that you board came with F60 bios, in that case you use the new F61 bios, doesnt matter if its listed on rev 2 webpage. Theres a lot of people testing it in the AMD forum with success. About the black screen im testing it, already update the card bios to 61, furmark passes ok.

Jun 3, 2020
3 times in a row now - I just let it sit in bios for 5 mins, then it reboots fine. Something is requiring a warmup.
xcuse my english (I dont want to use a translator). I've reached a record today.. after 3 hours of sleep the PC woke up fine.. Didnt know if it was lucky. Here's the things i've done:
Most importantly, -updated my 5600 xt to yesterday's new bios, F61.
- I deactivated the Fast Boot in the bios of the PC (its not faster for me, so dont care).
-Removed hibernation mode from PC (can no longer even be chosen).
-And within the energy saving profiles I activated the Ryzen "High performance" mode and within the profile options I made sure that within the PCI EXPRESS option it is disabled (ASPM).
As I said, I have to do more tests, but at least I last a while longer in sleep.
I think it is related to some energy management problem.