Mar 19, 2019
I recently purchased some parts to upgrade my old Dell XPS 8500 into a capable gaming PC with hopes to upgrade the rest of the parts and case later. Ran into a major issue where upon turning on the pc with the monitor hooked up to the GPU (new PSU also installed) the monitor shows nothing and remains black even though the monitor works with my old graphics card. In summary, new RX 580, black screen no matter what I do.

I believe the issue could be from the drivers but I have already hooked my monitor up to the motherboard graphics and disabled the onboard Intel graphics and restarted the pc with the new GPU installed, but it did nothing. Every time the gpu is installed it's a black screen. If I turn the pc on with the GPU in the PCI slot (but the power isn't connected it) I can start the pc using Motherboard graphics, but as soon as I connect the power to the GPU the PC turns off (Yes I did this while the PC was running, call me crazy but I was desperate). This led me to believe it might be a power issue, but I think that would happen normally since I did it while the pc was on.

It could also be that my motherboard is not compatible with my GPU, which happens to be factory overclocked.

It could also be that my CPU does not support my GPU (not sure).

It could also be that my PSU does not have enough wattage to support my build. 550w (Upgraded from 450w)

If anyone could let me know what they think or if they have any questions to help me further resolve the issue I would greatly appreciate it.

Original PC Build (Before Any changes)
Intel Core i7-3770 (@ 3.4 GHz)
Intel YJPT1 Motherboard (H77)
RAM 12GB DDR3 @ 798 MHz
1 TB HDD 931GB Seagate ST31000524AS (SATA)
AMD Radeon HD 7570 1 GB GDDR5
PSU: Dell AC460AD-01 (460w)
Monitor: Dell WEP

New Build
Intel Core i7-3770 (@ 3.4 GHz)
Intel 0YJPT1 Motherboard (H77)
RAM 12GB DDR3 @ 798 MHz
1TB HDD 931GB Seagate ST31000524AS (SATA)
MSI AMD Radeon RX 580 8GB Armor OC Edition*
EVGA SUPERNOVA G3 550w 80+ Gold *
Monitor: MSI Optix G24Q 23.6*

* Denotes only items that have changed

Last edited:
This is a common problem with older OEM systems. Modern [UEFI] GPUs aren't recognized. No guarantee that's the problem here, but it seems likely.

Like boju said, see if there's a BIOS update available.
Not sure if there's any other workarounds.

Mar 19, 2019
The motherboard is most likely the problem. Amd cards are very fussy about older motherboards. Nvidia are more forgiving however.

Update bios, click category / bios

https://www.dell.com/support/home/ae/en/aebsdt1/product-support/product/xps-8500/drivers
THIS TOTALLY WORKED!!! Thank you so much boju, I was able to update the BIOS and start the PC with the new GPU installed. I then installed the AMD driver from their website, but then after restarting with the installed driver, the PC runs extremely slow!! Slower than my old graphics card. Device manager says that the RX 580 is up and running with up to date drivers and the AMD software is all good and dandy. I'm currently working on resolving this issue now.

Mar 19, 2019
The motherboard is most likely the problem. Amd cards are very fussy about older motherboards. Nvidia are more forgiving however.

Update bios, click category / bios

https://www.dell.com/support/home/ae/en/aebsdt1/product-support/product/xps-8500/drivers
THIS TOTALLY WORKED!!! Thank you so much boju, I was able to update the BIOS and start the PC with the new GPU installed. I then installed the AMD driver from their website, but then after restarting with the installed driver the PC runs extremely slow!! Slower than my old graphics card. Device manager says that the RX 580 is up and running with up to date drivers and the AMD software is all good and dandy. I'm currently working on resolving this issue now.
Oh great, well done.

Bummer about this new problem.

Try installing display driver uninstaller in normal Windows then boot to safemode and wipe Amd drivers so there's a clean slate. Reboot back to normal Windows and try Amd drivers again.

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
I got to the point where you said to boot into safemode and use the DDU which I did install. Then i restarted my pc without going into safemode and this time the pc worked jsut fine. Just tested it out on Divinity Original Sin 2 and it runs it at the highest settings with full frames (I know its not a super demanding game but it means that it works). Thank you so much to boju!