Question New RX 6700 not working in current build

Nov 20, 2022
I am trying to change my gpu from an gtx 970 to an rx 6700 but while the pc seems to start (all fans spinning at least) there is no signal to the screen at any point. So far i have tried:
  • changing monitors and ports (and a tv)
  • changing cables
  • installing the rx 6700 on sbd else's build and it worked
  • updating bios
  • uninstalling the current drivers
  • cleared cmos
I have made sure the rx 6700 is properly connected. The setup still works with the old gtx 970. My other components are:
  • superflower 650W 80+ gold psu
  • gigabyte b550m ds3h motherboard
  • AMD ryzen 5 5600x cpu
  • 16GB Corsair RAM
I would appreciate any ideas of what may be wrong here, as both the existing setup and the new gpu seem to work separate of each other. Thank you!

Nov 19, 2022
Funny that I'm planning on upgrading too from a gtx 970 to a Rx 6700 xt.

A similar problem happened to me when I bought a new monitor and plugged it to the GPU, pc stopped booting I spent an entire day trying to figure out what was the problem.
Nothing worked until I tried the easiest thing which was remove the GPU and insert it back on the pcie slot so maybe that's your problem. Try reseating it and check for dust particles on the slot.

nikolasferreira

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2013
Have you used DDU?

Start windows in safe mode and select new GPU install. I've just upgraded from an rx 570 to an rx 6700 xt with no problem while making this.

Also is fast boot enabled? Which version of windows are you using? Have you tried both PCIe slots?