Question New RX580; Worked for month; now NO POWER to PC

Jan 12, 2020
Hey newbie here,

Last march I bought an AMD RX580, and it worked well for a month. The only issue was the occasional green or pink glitchy spots while playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

However while playing Dungeon Defenders (very very minimal load game) my entire PC shut down immediately, like the power cord was pulled. However, everything was still plugged in. PC would not power on at all. The only sign that it was getting any power was the little green light on the back of my power supply. I pulled the graphics card back out, looked fine. It was not overheating at all, especially during that game. I use speccy to watch my temps when gaming hard.

Weird thing happens: I plug the original graphics card in, an old GT 640, and everything works normally. have been using it for last 8 months. However, the AMD card, when plugged in, refuses to let the computer power on at all.

My setup: HP envy with i7 Quadcore 4820K, original 600W HP power supply, 12GB of RAM, original Pegatron 2ACE motherboard.
Any help would be great.

Remeca

Reputable
That's a pretty old PSU, that's where I would start. It's overdue for replacement anyways, and it may fix your issue, and can be carried forward in any future builds. If you aren't able to test the GPU in another PC, it'll be hard to say if it's broken or not. Still, this worries me too: "The only issue was the occasional green or pink glitchy spots" and that's when the GPU should have been RMAd or returned under warranty (assuming you bought it new.)

Jan 12, 2020
That's a pretty old PSU, that's where I would start. It's overdue for replacement anyways, and it may fix your issue, and can be carried forward in any future builds. If you aren't able to test the GPU in another PC, it'll be hard to say if it's broken or not. Still, this worries me too: "The only issue was the occasional green or pink glitchy spots" and that's when the GPU should have been RMAd or returned under warranty (assuming you bought it new.)
so is the RX580 toast?

also my psu is at 600W, which should be pleeeenty for this setup. is there some other metric than wattage that the psu lacking that a true gaming psu would excel in? my roommate has a spare gtx960 he is swapping out. should i test that card in here, or am i at risk of frying that card as well?