[SOLVED] New Ryder 5600x system won’t post

BenGibson

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014
Hey everyone,

Ive recently had to upgrade my computer as my old cpu died on me unexpectedly and now my new one won’t post. Quick recap of what’s happened to get to this point;

I was gaming one day and then went to bed, came back the next day and my pc wasn’t turning on. I opened the case and the gpu was making an attempt to turn the fans but the cpu wasn’t. I switched out the psu and got the same response so I decided on upgrading my pc to the new Ryzen 5600x motherboard bundle off a supplier and after fitting everything, the graphics card doesn’t even attempt to spin now, and I get a message saying no video display on my monitor. Everything else boots up normally; the cpu, power supply, hard drive (replaced the old one) and my keyboard and mouse yet the screen doesn’t nor my graphics card.

I’m a bit stuck on what to do as my graphics card was fine in my old build and now it doesn’t appear to be working. The pins are all in the correct place and it’s seated correctly too.

Here are my system specs;
Processor: Ryzen 5600x 3.7GHz 6 core (socket) AM4
Cpu fan: Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2 Air Cooler CPU cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H AMD Socket AM4 Motherboard
Ram: 2x Adata XPG Gammix D10 8GB (1x 8GB) 3200MHz DDR4
GPU: Nvidia GAMER GTX 980
HDD: 1TB Seagate BarraCuda
Power Supply: EVGA 600 80+

any help would be greatly appreciated as it’s difficult to get hold of anyone within a shop due to the pandemic, thanks!

Solution
We would all love it if you could come back and let us know the results.

-Wolf sends

I found out that it was my case that was the problem. My case was causing my motherboard to short circuit as there wasn’t really enough space to put the board in, so the screws once tightened were causing the board to bend. After I got everything installed into a bigger case everything worked fine!

the computer guy said that if I continued using the case my GPU and CPU would’ve fried after some time if they both managed to work in unison so I was lucky really.

anyone running with the same issue I’d highly recommend you making sure you have enough space in your PC and not make the same mistake I almost made

BenGibson

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014
What was included in the bundle you purchased? I suspect that the motherboard BIOS needs to be updated for the 5600X to be compatible.

-Wolf sends

I received in the bundle the motherboard, ram, processor and fan all built so all I needed was to screw it in, the manual, two antennas, two SATA cables and an I/O shield but surprisingly no driver disk despite it saying it contains one? I presumed since they tested it before packing the bundle that It wasn’t needed? I phoned a computer shop and explained my situation and they said i needed to update the bios to make my graphics card work

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
I phoned a computer shop and explained my situation and they said i needed to update the bios to make my graphics card work
Did they actually say "Graphics Card" or is it possible you misheard "GPU" when they actually said "CPU"?

The GTX 980 came out long before this processor and motherboard were released. There is no reason why a BIOS update would be needed to ensure GPU compatibility.

Do you have an older graphics card lying about that you can use to test the system?

-Wolf sends

BenGibson

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014
Did they actually say "Graphics Card" or is it possible you misheard "GPU" when they actually said "CPU"?

The GTX 980 came out long before this processor and motherboard were released. There is no reason why a BIOS update would be needed to ensure GPU compatibility.

Do you have an older graphics card lying about that you can use to test the system?

-Wolf sends
Yeah I’m pretty sure as I explained that my old CPU failed and I replaced it with this one and then my GPU isn’t working and he immediately suggested that I update the bios. I have read online about people experiencing no display but they had no issues with their graphics card and it was solved after a bios update.

I don’t have a spare graphics card lying around either and the Ryzen 5600x doesn’t have on board graphics either which makes the situation a bit annoying. I can only try replacing this power supply with the previous one as that one at least tried to boot up the GPU when the CPU failed so it could be a power issue I’m not entirely sure, the previous power supply was Kolink 700w

I’ll post some photos of the inside of the case just to be sure I’ve got all the cables in the correct place

Last edited:

Wolfshadw

Titan
I have read online about people experiencing no display but they had no issues with their graphics card and it was solved after a bios update.
This is they're trying to boot up a system where the CPU isn't supported until a BIOS update is installed. Once the CPU is supported, the system boots just fine! Just like your motherboard requires BIOS version F10 in order for your processor to be supported. If the shop you purchased the system from said they had updated the BIOS to that so the CPU was supported (which I doubt), neither of the remaining BIOS updates mention anything about GPU compatibility.

Motherboard Manual
Reference Pg. 19 - QFlash Plus

BIOS download Page
If it were me, I'd start with BIOS version F10 (just to see what happens), but I'd recommend BIOS version F12 for the 5xxx series Ryzen optimizations.

-Wolf sends

BenGibson

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014
This is they're trying to boot up a system where the CPU isn't supported until a BIOS update is installed. Once the CPU is supported, the system boots just fine! Just like your motherboard requires BIOS version F10 in order for your processor to be supported. If the shop you purchased the system from said they had updated the BIOS to that so the CPU was supported (which I doubt), neither of the remaining BIOS updates mention anything about GPU compatibility.

Motherboard Manual
Reference Pg. 19 - QFlash Plus

BIOS download Page
If it were me, I'd start with BIOS version F10 (just to see what happens), but I'd recommend BIOS version F12 for the 5xxx series Ryzen optimizations.

-Wolf sends

Yeah I think I’m gonna wait until tomorrow so
I can just change to my previous power supply unit to see if it’s a power issue, and then I’ll contact the supplier and see if they’ve done a bios update on the motherboard, and if the worst comes to shove I’ll take it into a shop on Monday and have a diagnosis run on the GPU to see if it’s faulty.

Here are some photos of the inside of the computer, I’d appreciate some feedback if any of the cables are out of place!

BenGibson

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014
Here’s the inside of the case, apologises for the cramped space I should really invest in a new case!

AcGDiL.jpg
2Mt7QT.jpg
pfeWYr.jpg
Phyt2s.jpg
w36iKc.jpg
a9jSXv.jpg

BenGibson

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014
  1. What do you have plugged into the COM port? I don't think I've ever used that.
  2. Check that plug from your front panel to make sure they line up with the pin-outs on your motherboard. Refer to Pg 17 of your motherboard manual.
-Wolf sends

1. That’s the cable that allows me to use my USB ports and I have a headphone jack at the front of my PC too, yes my PC case is quite old
  2. I’m not quite sure on what you mean, which image is that cable in? I think everything is OK, I tried booting up then and everything spins and no lights on the CPU to tell me something is wrong except the GPU, I just never expected it to not work when it did in the previous build. I had this problem before and I placed the wrong cables in the GPU but those are the only two cables I have to power it in this power supply

Wolfshadw

Titan
I’m not quite sure on what you mean, which image is that cable in?
The last image, right next to your finger (again, reference the above linked motherboard manual page). Just make sure PWR+ and PWR- are going to the right pinouts, etc...

That’s the cable that allows me to use my USB ports and I have a headphone jack at the front of my PC too, yes my PC case is quite old
Cables from the front USB ports of the case plug into the F_USB port on the motherboard. I would have thought the Front Headphone jack was included in the F_Audio cables. But you know your case better than I do,

-Wolf sends

BenGibson

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014
The last image, right next to your finger (again, reference the above linked motherboard manual page). Just make sure PWR+ and PWR- are going to the right pinouts, etc...

Cables from the front USB ports of the case plug into the F_USB port on the motherboard. I would have thought the Front Headphone jack was included in the F_Audio cables. But you know your case better than I do,

-Wolf sends

ahh yes I understand now, I connected the cable correctly to the power +/- button and adjusted the headphone cable and yet the GPU still doesn’t turn on. Everything else does and the keyboard lights up pretty quickly so I know the CPU is working. I’ll just have to try and change the psu as I think it’s just a fault with the GPU because it’s not even doing the bare minimum and attempting to come on

BenGibson

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014
ahh yes I understand now, I connected the cable correctly to the power +/- button and adjusted the headphone cable and yet the GPU still doesn’t turn on. Everything else does and the keyboard lights up pretty quickly so I know the CPU is working. I’ll just have to try and change the psu as I think it’s just a fault with the GPU because it’s not even doing the bare minimum and attempting to come on

UPDATE:

I swapped out the 600w power supply for a kolink 700w I had spare and yet the graphics card still isn’t powering or getting any display, I’m getting the idea that the card is faulty but I’ll take it into a computer shop tomorrow as they said they’d update the bios for me and they can have a look at it

BenGibson

Honorable
Nov 23, 2014
We would all love it if you could come back and let us know the results.

-Wolf sends

I found out that it was my case that was the problem. My case was causing my motherboard to short circuit as there wasn’t really enough space to put the board in, so the screws once tightened were causing the board to bend. After I got everything installed into a bigger case everything worked fine!

the computer guy said that if I continued using the case my GPU and CPU would’ve fried after some time if they both managed to work in unison so I was lucky really.

anyone running with the same issue I’d highly recommend you making sure you have enough space in your PC and not make the same mistake I almost made

Solution

TRENDING THREADS