[SOLVED] New ryzen 2600x build runs slow, hitches

Dec 12, 2018
Hello fellow geeks!

I finished putting together my new gaming PC build today, and it's not working as expected. This thing runs like a library PC from 1999. Every application opens extremely slowly, and I can't even switch between windows or switch tabs in Microsoft Edge without a 10 second freeze occurring.

Specs:
All parts are brand new except for the SSD.

OS: Windows 10 Education Edition (upgraded from Windows 7 without external media, keeping files but not apps)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600x (not OC'ed yet), with the included Wraith Spire cooler
Motherboard: MSI X370 Gaming Plus
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250gb SSD
GPU: AORUS Gigabyte RTX 2080
Memory: 16GB (2 x 8GB) G-Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 2400mhz
PSU: Corsair 650W Modular

When I experience these freezes, I check the Resource Monitor. But they do not coincide with any usage spike in my CPU, GPU, RAM or SSD.

I do not believe it is a thermal throttling issue, as CoreTemp shows my CPU at 39C when idle, with a maximum of 72C when playing Fortnite.

I do not believe it is an issue with my SSD, as my boot time is still under 30 seconds. The slowdown starts when I reach my desktop.

Before building the PC, I had the same SSD in my old build and upgraded my OS from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I checked the box to keep files, but not apps. Is it possible that installing Windows 10 on my old build (which had an Intel 3570k CPU) and transferring that SSD to the new build caused my issues?

From reading through related threads on this site, it seems that wiping my SSD and doing a clean install of Windows 10 might be a possible fix. However I do not have an extra hard drive to back up my files with. Are there any other fixes I could try before I have to order a new hard drive and leave my new PC collecting dust for a week?

Maybe relevant:
1. When I try to install the AMD Ryzen Master utility (for CPU monitoring), the installation fails, giving the error code "Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified location exists and is writable." It shows that the installer is trying to put the files into my C: drive, but I do not have a C: drive - my SSD is labeled as H:.

2. Strangely, although simple Windows applications and webpages lag horribly, I am able to run the game Fortnite at 144 fps. I do get fps drops down to ~80 which I would not expect at 1080p with this build. I also get occasional 3 second freezes. If I alt-tab the game to check my resource monitor, it takes about 30 seconds to get back to desktop, and half the time alt-tabbing causes the game to crash.

Solution
you need to reinstall windows for your build to run properly. using the ssd the way you are is a bad idea and causes problems. you need to create a usb win 10 installer and install on your drive of choice. new motherboard and CPU=new OS
Dec 12, 2018

Thanks for the tip. I have actually managed to fix the issue! It seems that there was a BIOS incompatibility with my CPU - the BIOS on my X370 Gaming Plus was from 9 months ago, and I updated it to the one from November 2018. I had discounted the idea that it might be the BIOS because I thought the PC wouldn't start at all if the BIOS and CPU were incompatible.
For anyone else with this issue, just UPDATE YOUR BIOS! Even if the mobo box says it will be compatible with 2000 series Ryzen CPUs.

If you changed motherboards you still should reinstall to get all of the old crap out of your registry, just because it seems ok now doesn't mean another update in the future won't break it again. If it isn't compatible it won't start, there was most likely something else happening.

Dec 12, 2018

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if a fresh install from external media is better than using the Windows dialog box under Update and Security for "Fresh Install"? I found a place to back up my files and did the built in Fresh Install, deleting all apps and files.