[SOLVED] New ryzen 3 200g setup won't boot

Feb 26, 2020
Sorry if this has been asked many times before, but I'm kinda desperate here and I need some pro help. I decided to upgrade my PC to a low end ryzen CPU, here are the parts I used:

Mobo: Asrock a320m-hd
Memory: HyperX Fury 4gb 2400mhz
CPU: Ryzen 3 2200g

According to asrock I would not need a bios update to use this cpu.

I assume I've installed everything correctly but the system won't boot (there's no video output whatsoever). The chassis/cpu fans do spin, the power led goes on and I get power on usb devices, but I get no signal from my monitor. Since I'm no rookie when it comes to computers, I've tried doing the following things:

Clearing the CMOS (both using the jumper and yeeting the battery out)
Reseating CPU
Reseating RAM
Changing RAM slots
Checking if PSU is faulty (it isn't)
Plugging in a dedicated GPU (the gpu fans spin but there's still no video)

Based on this info, can you guys tell what's wrong with my setup, or if I did something wrong?

Solution
did it have a sticker said 2000 series supported?

I have purchased a couple of various make motherboards that claimed "Ryzen 2 ready" and the like, just to find that they meant there was a BIOS revision available. Often in these cases you have to do a bit of research to see if the manufacture date was before or after a certain point in which it (may have) shipped from the factory with said pre-installed.

I also suspect the ubiquitous BIOS issue.

A slightly "less than ethical" solution I have heard of people using for this is to purchase the cheapest Ryzen 3 1200 for use in updating BIOS and then returning the chip. You might be able to find someone local with said to utilize and you may well call your computer store/shop...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
did it have a sticker said 2000 series supported?

I have purchased a couple of various make motherboards that claimed "Ryzen 2 ready" and the like, just to find that they meant there was a BIOS revision available. Often in these cases you have to do a bit of research to see if the manufacture date was before or after a certain point in which it (may have) shipped from the factory with said pre-installed.

I also suspect the ubiquitous BIOS issue.

A slightly "less than ethical" solution I have heard of people using for this is to purchase the cheapest Ryzen 3 1200 for use in updating BIOS and then returning the chip. You might be able to find someone local with said to utilize and you may well call your computer store/shop to see if they have a service for doing so. My understanding is jumping through the hoops for the AMD boot kit isn't worth the time and trouble.

My own course of action would be to return the mobo and upgrade to something like a B450.

Reactions: ashen14
Solution
Feb 26, 2020
My own course of action would be to return the mobo and upgrade to something like a B450.

Looks like that's what I'm gonna have to do, although I am certain it's not a bios issue, I suspect there must be something wrong with the mobo, I saw some funny spots in the PCB, but I'm not knowledgeable enough in electronics to diagnose the problem. Thanks for the replies, folks.