Question New Ryzen 3600 running constantly over 90 degrees

darrenj1471

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
Hi
I just upgraded from an I5 6600k to a Ryzen 3600 and am using the stock cooler which came with it. I play PUBG and Ive noticed that pretty much from the moment I start a game the CPU temp fluctuates between about 90-94 degrees which I assume to be bad news ...

Surely this isnt normal? Why is it running so hot and what can I do to resolve this? Ive checked and cpu fan is def spinning

RealBeast

Titan
Hi
I just upgraded from an I5 6600k to a Ryzen 3600 and am using the stock cooler which came with it. I play PUBG and Ive noticed that pretty much from the moment I start a game the CPU temp fluctuates between about 90-94 degrees which I assume to be bad news ...

Surely this isnt normal? Why is it running so hot and what can I do to resolve this? Ive checked and cpu fan is def spinning
That is about 10 degrees too hot at the high end. If you used proper thermal paste and applied the HSF with proper pressure, you should consider an upgraded cooler or significantly lower your ambient (room) temperatures, most likely the former.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi

Hate to say it but the stock coolers are just bad. I would replace that ASAP.

I have played BF5 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider with the R5 3600 + Stock cooler and I never went higher than 84°C, in a really bad air flow case (I now fixed most of it adjusting the fans).

So Im guessing either some motherboard crappy OC profile is applied in BIOS, PBO may be ON, the cooler is not installed properly or something else is happening (I don't know maybe theres like 40°C where you live?).

Also if the CPU is new, the cooler should come with pre-applied thermal paste, no need to use a diferent one (unless you have a really good one).

Reactions: Phaaze88

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I have played BF5 and Shadow of the Tomb Raider with the R5 3600 + Stock cooler and I never went higher than 84°C, in a really bad air flow case (I now fixed most of it adjusting the fans).

So Im guessing either some motherboard crappy OC profile is applied in BIOS, PBO may be ON, the cooler is not installed properly or something else is happening (I don't know maybe theres like 40°C where you live?).

Also if the CPU is new, the cooler should come with pre-applied thermal paste, no need to use a diferent one (unless you have a really good one).
84C is limiting your boost speed read some forum post the stock coolers suck. If it limits the full potential of the processor then it's not adequate.

84C is limiting your boost speed read some forum post the stock coolers suck. If it limits the full potential of the processor then it's not adequate.

If you read my signature you can see Im not using the stock fan anymore, and as I explained that 84°C, was before I fix my case ventilation problems.

So to be clear, I have already fixed my case problems (almost a year ago) and Im using the aftermarket cooler thats in my signature.

darrenj1471

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
Ok I didn't use any paste when installing it as it came pre-applied ...didn't it ?
I will take it off tomorrow and refit to see if improvement . I'm now worried that I may have damaged it by playing for a few hours at 93 degrees ?
(Fyi it's not hot here)

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
If you read my signature you can see Im not using the stock fan anymore, and as I explained that 84°C, was before I fix my case ventilation problems.

So to be clear, I have already fixed my case problems (almost a year ago) and Im using the aftermarket cooler thats in my signature.
So you had to make fan adjustments and change the cooler but your telling him it should be working fine.

So you had to make fan adjustments and change the cooler but your telling him it should be working fine.

I dont know why its soo hard to understand, I know my english sucks, but I think I was pretty much clear.

I have a very bad PC Case for airflow, and back then I had very bad fan setting (factory default). Which after a few days I fixed and made a lot better (using the stock cooler).

What I said, actually what i wrote is that even with my horrible PC case choice and pathetic fan setting (back then , before fixing it), using the stock cooler while playing those very instensive games I never got higher than 84°C.

So there should be another explanation of whats going on to the OP.

So yes, even with the stock cooler 95°C is way too hot.

Ok I didn't use any paste when installing it as it came pre-applied ...didn't it ?
I will take it off tomorrow and refit to see if improvement . I'm now worried that I may have damaged it by playing for a few hours at 93 degrees ?
(Fyi it's not hot here)

No theres no need to use thermal paste if it came pre-appplied. The pre-applied one should look like a gray.

Whats you motherboard brand and model?
Do you have good airflow inside the case?
How many fans does it have?

The stock cooler had a square of a beige putty like substance? Board is a x470 gaming max. Case has 2 fans on front, not sure model.
Have I damaged my cpu ?

Have you damaged your CPU?, not likely, yet.

NOTE_1: Please read NOTE_3 and NOTE_4 first. In fact, if applies, you could try what NOTE_4 said first!

NOTE_2: Whatever you do with BIOS and Dragon Center, you have to fix the poor fan setup your PC case have. Read more about this down there (*).

NOTE_3: Changing options in BIOS can make your system unstable, so please take note and/or pics of everything you touch, go step by step, and do it at your own risk.

If this is your motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX, then go you could go into the BIOS and make sure the "Gaming Boost" function is DISABLE (OFF): (page 43) https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/E7B79v3.0.pdf. If "Gaming Boost" was Enable/ON, then you should press F10 to "Save and Exit", let the PC go back Widnows and check to see if the high temps issue is better.

If that didn't solve the problem then you could go back into BIOS and press F7 to enter Advanced Mode, and check the "Overclocking Settings" option (page 55).
Basically you want "Core Ratio", "Core Performance Boost" (this is PB function from AMD, which allows the CPU to boost to its stock settings this is normal boost setting), "CPU vcore voltage" and "DRAM voltage" on Auto.

Under CPU Features (there should be a sub-menu), you can try and change "Global C-State Control" and "Cool & Quiet" to Enable. Also in the same place there should be an option called "Relaxed EDC throttling" which according to the manual should be set to Auto for normal stock operation (page 59).

After checking all that you can press F10 to "Save and Exit" the Setup. And see if that improved the high temp situation.

The most important thing here is that "Gaming Boost" should be Disable/OFF. This isnot something defined by AMD for stock operation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* Now, 2 font Fans is not a good setup for airflow. You should:

1. Add atleast one more fan at the back of the case as an exhaust fan, to remove the hot air out of the way.
or
2. In the meantime, while you get an extra fan, move one of the front fans to the back as an exhaust.
or
3. If your case support top case fan mounting, move both fans, put one at the back and the other at the top, both working as exhaust. Later on you should add a few fans at the front again.

You want to get air-flowing inside the case, "something" like the picture: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachments/upload_2016-1-18_13-56-17-png.71169/

Please be sure that the fans at the front are working as intake fans, blowing fresh air inside the case. And whatever fans you install on the back and/or top should be working as exhaust fans, blowing the hot air out of the case.

NOTE_4, if you installed an MSI app called Dragon Center in Windows make sure the "Game Boost" option is Disable/OFF. Don't uninstall the software before making sure the option is OFF!

Cheers.

darrenj1471

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
Gaming Boost definately set to DISABLE in bios. I have ordered 2 more fans for back of case but will move one from front now.
I will check other Bios settings thanks. (fyi i have been using MSI Afterburner as my monitoring tool and its constantly around 90 while playing the game). I did not MSI afterburner shows a slightly higher temp consistently than Ryzen Master does?

Hi

What is your room temperature? It's possible your room temperature is affecting how well the stock cooler can cool compared to benchmarks done in a 22c/72f room during reviews. I've personally been seeing my Ryzen 5 2600 with Hyper 212 Evo run about 5-10c hotter during the hot days and room temperature reaching up to about 80-86f. Through winter I was seeing idle temps at around 29-35c and highs of around 45-47c for most games and up to 65c for very CPU heavy tasks and games.

Reactions: RodroX
Gaming Boost definately set to DISABLE in bios. I have ordered 2 more fans for back of case but will move one from front now.
I will check other Bios settings thanks. (fyi i have been using MSI Afterburner as my monitoring tool and its constantly around 90 while playing the game). I did not MSI afterburner shows a slightly higher temp consistently than Ryzen Master does?

From what Ive seen myself MSI afterburner is pretty close to temps reported by hwinfo64, which for me is identical to the temp shown by Ryzen Master. The thing with Ryzen Master is that is not really great to keep track of temps while playing games. While doing benchmarks Ryzen Master is nice but still hwinfo is much confortable for me, and report identical measures in my system.

Just in case, heres a link to AMD instructions to mount the stock cpu cooler: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/cpu-7. (Short version always tight the screw in a cross diagonal pattern)

darrenj1471

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
My room temp is approx 24c ( i live in the UK, not a hot country). I am fairly sure I screwed the stock cooler in correctly as ive done it twice now (putting more paste on). OPening pubg sets temp around 73 and then playing it MSI shows temp as around 90 all the time

I have the stealth cooler as it comes with the 3600, A friend is sending me his Prism cooler as he never used it with his 3700x. I still cannot understand why mine is running so hot at the moment and appreciate this help. I still need to check the bios settings above and Ive ordered a new case fan to create an exhaust

My room temp is approx 24c ( i live in the UK, not a hot country). I am fairly sure I screwed the stock cooler in correctly as ive done it twice now (putting more paste on). OPening pubg sets temp around 73 and then playing it MSI shows temp as around 90 all the time

I have the stealth cooler as it comes with the 3600, A friend is sending me his Prism cooler as he never used it with his 3700x. I still cannot understand why mine is running so hot at the moment and appreciate this help. I still need to check the bios settings above and Ive ordered a new case fan to create an exhaust

Before adding more, You did clean the old thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol from the cooler and the cpu right?

ShadowRD

Distinguished
May 3, 2016

You really need to check thermal paste and the condition of the cooler, i dont think it should be that high, no matter stock cooler or not. That cpu should only allow higher boost speed if the condition are optimal for it

I have the same cpu, i live in a tropical country 30 or 32c and playing @4.3mhz, the higher it could reach is 81c after hours of gaming with 1440p 130-140mhz

What is your CPU voltage minimum and maximum in HWInfo from idle and after playing a game? Open HWInfo in Sensor mode only to get the readings.

darrenj1471

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
Before adding more, You did clean the old thermal paste with isopropyl alcohol from the cooler and the cpu right?

Its a brand new cpu and cooler so I cleaned nothing? the cpu went in and the stock cooler comes with paste applied...
Im sitting here now and idle temp of cpu is around 50. As soon as I open the game it heads up to 75 ish and then when playing game between 87-92c

darrenj1471

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2016
Ok just to clarify position:

Board is the one you kindly provided link to manual of (X470 gaming max)
Board and CPU and cooler were all brand new
I have moved from Intel i5 6600k but have not done a fresh windows install (assume this has no bearing?)
I did nothing with any paste cleaning as none to clean off
All 4 screws are attached to heatsink and tightened as far as they can go (they have a mechanism to avoid over tightening.
My room is not hot in the grand scale of hot countries
Game boost is off in Bios
Ive gone into advanced mode in Bios and CPU Ratio is AUTO
CPU core voltage and DRAM voltage also set to AUTO
I dont see Core Performance Boost ? Precision boost overdrive set to AUTO
(I have not been into bios since installing until now)
Case fans are both intake but tomorrow a new fan arrives which I will put on back of case to create exhaust
Global C-State Control set to AUTO
I have ENABLED AMD Cool N Quiet on your advice
I dont see Relaxed EDC throttling ? In fact my cpu features options is much smaller than shown in manual....

Before AMD cool n quiet:
CPU Temp whilst sitting in Bios says 37c
When I boot machine and sit idle its around 45-50c
When I open pubg lobby it inceases into the 70s
When I play PUBG it sits around 90c all the time :(

After AMD cool n quiet Enabled:
When I boot machine and sit idle its around 50-70c - a lot higher variation than before...
When I open pubg lobby it inceases into the 70s - ie same
When I play PUBG it is now mostly low 80's with some spikes to 90 - so some improvement...:)

Really appreciate your help as to what else could help here?
Im waiting on a new cooler but Royal Mail seems terrible as should have been here Tues, I may have to just buy ANOTHER one.
Would a fresh install of windows have any bearing?

I hope new case fan and in time a new cooler helps but still confused/worried why so high right now

Ok just to clarify position:

Board is the one you kindly provided link to manual of (X470 gaming max)
Board and CPU and cooler were all brand new
I have moved from Intel i5 6600k but have not done a fresh windows install (assume this has no bearing?)
I did nothing with any paste cleaning as none to clean off
All 4 screws are attached to heatsink and tightened as far as they can go (they have a mechanism to avoid over tightening.
My room is not hot in the grand scale of hot countries
Game boost is off in Bios
Ive gone into advanced mode in Bios and CPU Ratio is AUTO
CPU core voltage and DRAM voltage also set to AUTO
I dont see Core Performance Boost ? Precision boost overdrive set to AUTO
(I have not been into bios since installing until now)
Case fans are both intake but tomorrow a new fan arrives which I will put on back of case to create exhaust
Global C-State Control set to AUTO
I have ENABLED AMD Cool N Quiet on your advice
I dont see Relaxed EDC throttling ? In fact my cpu features options is much smaller than shown in manual....

Before AMD cool n quiet:
CPU Temp whilst sitting in Bios says 37c
When I boot machine and sit idle its around 45-50c
When I open pubg lobby it inceases into the 70s
When I play PUBG it sits around 90c all the time :(

After AMD cool n quiet Enabled:
When I boot machine and sit idle its around 50-70c - a lot higher variation than before...
When I open pubg lobby it inceases into the 70s - ie same
When I play PUBG it is now mostly low 80's with some spikes to 90 - so some improvement...:)

Really appreciate your help as to what else could help here?
Im waiting on a new cooler but Royal Mail seems terrible as should have been here Tues, I may have to just buy ANOTHER one.
Would a fresh install of windows have any bearing?

I hope new case fan and in time a new cooler helps but still confused/worried why so high right now

"I have moved from Intel i5 6600k but have not done a fresh windows install (assume this has no bearing?)" This is the first thing you have to take out of the "problems" equation.

Always make a clean install of Windows when changing motherboards, specially when going from Intel to AMD. If you haven't done this yet, then this is the first thing you should do !!!!!

So go ahead, backup your important data and personal files, get a clean up-to-date Windows 10 64 bits installation Drive (you can download from microsoft using the Media Creation Tool) and start fresh again.

BTW, I just saw this: I dont see Core Performance Boost ? Precision boost overdrive set to AUTO <----- PBO should be set to Disablke/OFF, atleast till you make a clean install of Windows.
All your readings could be really messed up and everything you do will be basically pointless until you make a clean install of Windows!.

Last edited: