Question New Ryzen 3600 - temperature spikes

zac9500

Prominent
Jul 17, 2019
Hi all,
I’ve just built an R5 3600 rig on a Tomahawk Max with DRR4 3600 CL18-22. It’s being cooled by a CM H212 In a well ventilated and high airflow case.
I’ve overclocked the CPU to 4.2ghz all core in the bios and have overclocked ram to 3800 CL18-22 too.
The below temperature spikes were happening BEFORE these changes were made as well.
Running an AIDA64 test produces these weird temperature spikes that I’ve never seen before. I don’t have any abnormal fan curves either.
Does anyone know why this is happening?

View: https://imgur.com/S4AnUum

Reactions: AndreiDev
Hi all,
I’ve just built an R5 3600 rig on a Tomahawk Max with DRR4 3600 CL18-22. It’s being cooled by a CM H212 In a well ventilated and high airflow case.
I’ve overclocked the CPU to 4.2ghz all core in the bios and have overclocked ram to 3800 CL18-22 too.
The below temperature spikes were happening BEFORE these changes were made as well.
Running an AIDA64 test produces these weird temperature spikes that I’ve never seen before. I don’t have any abnormal fan curves either.

It's reacting to the load, do you have set CPU voltage or is it on auto ?

zac9500

Prominent
Jul 17, 2019
Bad advice meant only for ancient CPUs. Those voltages do not correlate at all. At 4.2 GHz you shouldn't need over 1.3v for CPU. probably quite less.
Thanks for this! I’ve set cpu voltage to 1.3 and SOC to 1.1 but still have the same issue, just at lower temps.... very confused..

Jun 17, 2020
Hi all,

Hey dude,
I have a ryzen 360p and i have the exact same temp spikes under full load in aida 64, and i'm using a Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler.

Did you find out what is the issue with thouse temp spikes?

I'm very curious on this one.

zac9500

Prominent
Jul 17, 2019
Hey dude,
I have a ryzen 360p and i have the exact same temp spikes under full load in aida 64, and i'm using a Dark Rock 4 Pro cooler.

Did you find out what is the issue with thouse temp spikes?

I'm very curious on this one.
Hey man - no I didn’t is the short answer.

I know it’s something to do with voltages rather than temperatures but I’m not technical enough to know more than that!

I do also know that ryzen CPUs spike in temps despite 0 usage by design and that this is normal - under load.. not so much.

given that I rarely ever go under that much stress in anything I do with my pc I’m not really bothered!

but my 4.2ghz OC @1.287v has improved my 1% lows in games

Jun 17, 2020
Hey man - no I didn’t is the short answer.

I know it’s something to do with voltages rather than temperatures but I’m not technical enough to know more than that!

I do also know that ryzen CPUs spike in temps despite 0 usage by design and that this is normal - under load.. not so much.

given that I rarely ever go under that much stress in anything I do with my pc I’m not really bothered!

but my 4.2ghz OC @1.287v has improved my 1% lows in games

Yes it's clearly voltage related, the more voltage you give the CPU the hotter it gets.

And now thatbi hear myself saying this... in theory a flat voltage will kill the spike... hmm I will try this tomorrow and get back to you with the results.

p.s. i know aida stress test is an unrealistic high load, but my OCD will not allow me to rest untill i get this figured out :)

Jun 17, 2020
Ok so temp spikes are voltage spikes in fact.
If you set your cpu at 4.3 Ghz @ 1.2v from ryzen master your get a cooler cpu, higher speed , stable and no more spikes.

I teste this today.