Jul 22, 2019
I have been trying to solve this issue for DAYS now. My CPU has pretty high temps. GTA V - 73 degrees, Cinebench - 86ish degrees, aida64 - 93 degrees, prime95 - over 95 easily if the Vcore is not on auto, basically shutdown. Idle bounces around from 43 - 60 degrees, mainly staying around 55ish. I dont know why, but i beg my cores to just sleep every once in awhile, Im not even doing anything. I have never gotten temps like this on my intel i5 before.

I have tried repasting thermal paste 3 times, all 3 with different amounts of thermal paste. Used the stock cooler as well. Undervolted, which if i remember can still get to 90 degrees. Turn off pbo and amd cool and quiet. Change ryzen power plan. Open sides of case to check airflow, which didnt change anything.

Funny thing is that i brought it to the distributor wanting to get a refund, but he tested it and the max temps he got, on prime95, SMALL, is 93 degrees? At stock. Im sorry, what? He is running a generic cooler from aliexpress and I am running a noctua nh-d15 and yet I cannot achieve stable temps. WHY?!?! His aida64 temps are around 80 and mine easily hits 92.

I really do not know what the issue is, I have tried everything I know. Im not sure if my motherboard or ram or me is causing all of this because i do not have a spares lying around to test. They shouldn't, but at the same my temps are bad.

At this point, im lost and I feel like i wasted a good chunk of my money. Too late to switch to intel too, because I have to get a new motherboard. I simply do not have the money to cash out on new parts again as this upgrade is meant to last a good 3 years. Sorry to rant but after seeing reviews about how good ryzen is, I was really expecting more, or at least the capability to overclock, not undervolt.

If anyone, ANYONE, has a solution or even a suggestion, please tell me. I can't even refund this because technically it does not have any issues.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Often times people forget/neglect to take note of the ambient air temps both in your house and in your tech support shop. Might it be possible to share a picture of how much thermal paste you've used on the CPU cooler/IHS? To add, what are your full system's specs? List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard.

Jul 22, 2019
Often times people forget/neglect to take note of the ambient air temps both in your house and in your tech support shop. Might it be possible to share a picture of how much thermal paste you've used on the CPU cooler/IHS? To add, what are your full system's specs? List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard.
Sorry. totally forgot to list my specs.

CPU: Ryzen 3600x
Ram: Trident Z 16gb 3200mhz
SSD: Adata (Reused)
GPU: Gigabyte vega 64
PSU: seasonic 850w bronze
Chassis: Cooler master cm690 ii (Reused) (4 fans in positive airflow)
Cooler: Noctua nh-d15
Motherboard: MSI B450m Bazooka Plus (Latest bios)
Thermal Paste: Artic MX-4 (Pea sized, 2 more other times with more added)

Last edited:
Oh, a Vega64 right below the Ry3600X is going to contribute a lot for heating.

Make sure your Vega64 is running as cool as it can or you'll have to improve your case air flow by a lot to achieve stable temps. I know, because I have a Vega64 and a Ry2700X. The Vega64 is a little oven on its own.

Cheers!

Jul 22, 2019
Oh, a Vega64 right below the Ry3600X is going to contribute a lot for heating.

Make sure your Vega64 is running as cool as it can or you'll have to improve your case air flow by a lot to achieve stable temps. I know, because I have a Vega64 and a Ry2700X. The Vega64 is a little oven on its own.

Cheers!
I setup my vega 64 fan curves and it is holding temps well under load. The gigabyte has a big heatsink so it takes a lot of the heat away already.

Not necessarily. As I said, I have a similar set up. I'm also using a Noctua NH-D15 and a Sapphire Vega64 Nitro+ with a massive metal plate that moves the heat.

I will try to be clearer now with what I'm saying: unless you have an extractor right next to the Vega64, all the hot air the HSF removes from it, will remain inside the case for a good while heating up everything, including the CPU cooler.

Please have a closer look at how your internal components inside the case are arranged and see if there's proper flow of cool air from the front and proper hot air extraction from the back and top of the case. Otherwise, open the case as much as you can and you will really see how hot it gets.

Cheers!

Jul 22, 2019
Not necessarily. As I said, I have a similar set up. I'm also using a Noctua NH-D15 and a Sapphire Vega64 Nitro+ with a massive metal plate that moves the heat.

I will try to be clearer now with what I'm saying: unless you have an extractor right next to the Vega64, all the hot air the HSF removes from it, will remain inside the case for a good while heating up everything, including the CPU cooler.

Please have a closer look at how your internal components inside the case are arranged and see if there's proper flow of cool air from the front and proper hot air extraction from the back and top of the case. Otherwise, open the case as much as you can and you will really see how hot it gets.

Cheers!
I see, I have made sure air is coming from the front of the case and exhausting out the back. But if I did this while the case was open, would it make a difference? I have set the desktop on its side like a test bench with the case open and did not notice any difference in temps.

I see, I have made sure air is coming from the front of the case and exhausting out the back. But if I did this while the case was open, would it make a difference? I have set the desktop on its side like a test bench with the case open and did not notice any difference in temps.
If you've ruled out case temperatures, then you have 2 main options: something wrong with your pasting process (small dirt and other stuff can affect temps; make sure you're really careful with this) and/or the BIOS is just making your CPU cook itself with high voltage and aggressive PBO (turbo thingy) behaviour.

Cheers!

Gedikpasha

Reputable
Jul 9, 2019
Hello, I've got the exact same problem I have changed my mobo b350 to x570 temps are still same. I bought a Cooler Master liquid cooler 240mm but it is on shipping atm.

I have seen a topic which i havent tried yet. He said "I just disabled the core perfomance boost in bios so my voltages became 1.4v to 1.1-1.2v and my temps are decreased from 85 to 60 C "

I will try when i go home and i am going to check the performance and FPS in games to see how much does it effect that core boost.

Jul 22, 2019
If you've ruled out case temperatures, then you have 2 main options: something wrong with your pasting process (small dirt and other stuff can affect temps; make sure you're really careful with this) and/or the BIOS is just making your CPU cook itself with high voltage and aggressive PBO (turbo thingy) behaviour.

Cheers!
I honestly dont know anymore. The noctua is new out of the box as well as the cpu. Gave them a good wipe and use a lens blower to blow any dust that might be trapped. Made sure not to touch the base with my fingers. Check the paste every time I switched and it always looks well spread out, covering the whole area of the cpu.

I have also tried disabling the PBO but didnt notice much change in temps. I am unable to change the voltage because if I do, the cpu is unable to undervolt itself automatically during stress test and can easily hit over 100 degrees. So i left it on auto for now.

Right now on stock, stress test like prime95 is at 94.45 degrees.

Jul 22, 2019
Im having high temps too with ryzen 3600X idunno if it's bc I did wrong the setup...

Im using a Kraken X62 and im getting 50 degrees on idle and 75ish on load (gaming). For me...is super high...with stock cooler I was getting almost same...

My old i7 4770k was 30 degrees on idle using CM 412S...

Any suggestions to improve?

My MOBO is MS B450 Tomahawk. And CPU voltage is 1,45

Also Im having a RX 5700 XT so maybe is bc of the card...

I honestly dont know anymore. The noctua is new out of the box as well as the cpu. Gave them a good wipe and use a lens blower to blow any dust that might be trapped. Made sure not to touch the base with my fingers. Check the paste every time I switched and it always looks well spread out, covering the whole area of the cpu.

I have also tried disabling the PBO but didnt notice much change in temps. I am unable to change the voltage because if I do, the cpu is unable to undervolt itself automatically during stress test and can easily hit over 100 degrees. So i left it on auto for now.

Right now on stock, stress test like prime95 is at 94.45 degrees.
I suggest you reset everything to default values (maybe BIOS reset) and then the only things you need to change are:
  • RAM XMP profile to the correct one.
  • CPU Precision Boost to disabled. Depending on the motherboard, they may call it like "Auto OC" or something like that. If you have additional options, let us know.
  • CPU FAN profiles to "turbo" or "aggressive", as Noctua uses PWM for fan control.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

Im having high temps too with ryzen 3600X idunno if it's bc I did wrong the setup...

Im using a Kraken X62 and im getting 50 degrees on idle and 75ish on load (gaming). For me...is super high...with stock cooler I was getting almost same...

I suggest you start a new thread for your questions, as handling 2 different people in the same thread is hard for everyone to keep track of.

Cheers!

Jul 22, 2019
I suggest you reset everything to default values (maybe BIOS reset) and then the only things you need to change are:
  • RAM XMP profile to the correct one.
  • CPU Precision Boost to disabled. Depending on the motherboard, they may call it like "Auto OC" or something like that. If you have additional options, let us know.
  • CPU FAN profiles to "turbo" or "aggressive", as Noctua uses PWM for fan control.
If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

I suggest you start a new thread for your questions, as handling 2 different people in the same thread is hard for everyone to keep track of.

Cheers!
I'll try that for the time being, do keep me updating if you have anything.

thanks

Jul 22, 2019

I feel you man. I don't earn much at the moment so this PC is an investment for me, and i'm really trying to find every single possible solution that might fix this issue.

Jul 22, 2019
Hello, I've got the exact same problem I have changed my mobo b350 to x570 temps are still same. I bought a Cooler Master liquid cooler 240mm but it is on shipping atm.

I have seen a topic which i havent tried yet. He said "I just disabled the core perfomance boost in bios so my voltages became 1.4v to 1.1-1.2v and my temps are decreased from 85 to 60 C "

I will try when i go home and i am going to check the performance and FPS in games to see how much does it effect that core boost.
Do update! I'd like to know if performance is still good with this change!

Reactions: Gedikpasha

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Well Shaun although I have a Ryzen 2700X on an Asus B450 motherboard I can give you some perspective on temperatures.
73c for GTA V is not that high really especially it being a CPU bound game even though it is 6 years old.
What temperatures are you getting with other games, especilally newer AAA titles?

Check you are using Windows Balanced Power Plan and not High Performance.
You can use the Power Saver plan to really downclock your CPU manually or set your plan to have a minimum of 5% CPU.

I appreciate your idle temperature is higher than normal especially with such an excellent cooler but.....

Benchmarking will max out your temperatures as it hammers all of the cores simultaneously.

I run GTA V around 63c on my 2700X but during benchmarking it hits the thermal limit just like yours does.
No game will ever push the CPU that high.

I used to get around 75c in GTA V and Battlefield V until I set a manual negative CPU voltage offset of -0.100 Volts.

If I set my PBO - Precision Boost Overdrive to Auto it runs much lower temperatures but boosts less.
Using the Enabled settings bypasses the motherboard's defaults and boosts higher but increases voltage so temperature rises.
Hence the offset to control temps but get higher boosts.

Each PC is unique though and it depends on the manufacturers' individual defaults.

Also the Ryzen 3000 series are new and the manufacturers have released the BIOS updates in most cases but they won't necessarily be perfect in every situation especially in these early days.

So to summarise -

For gaming your temperature is just fine with the one example you have given.

Benchmarking will max your temperatures and mine has actually shut down during one test due to temperature.

I also appreciate your cooler is one of the best performers on the market so 73c will seem excessive to a lot of people including yourself.

The Power Plan can affect idle temperatures dramatically and if Balanced doesn't let yours idle properly you can force it with Power Saver.
Some people do find the Power Plan is buggy on their Ryzen CPU and need to manually adjust it.

For gaming or benchmarking you need Balanced otherwise your CPU will be heavily restricted.

Jul 22, 2019
Well Shaun although I have a Ryzen 2700X on an Asus B450 motherboard I can give you some perspective on temperatures.
73c for GTA V is not that high really especially it being a CPU bound game even though it is 6 years old.
What temperatures are you getting with other games, especilally newer AAA titles?

Check you are using Windows Balanced Power Plan and not High Performance.
You can use the Power Saver plan to really downclock your CPU manually or set your plan to have a minimum of 5% CPU.

I appreciate your idle temperature is higher than normal especially with such an excellent cooler but.....

Benchmarking will max out your temperatures as it hammers all of the cores simultaneously.

I run GTA V around 63c on my 2700X but during benchmarking it hits the thermal limit just like yours does.
No game will ever push the CPU that high.

I used to get around 75c in GTA V and Battlefield V until I set a manual negative CPU voltage offset of -0.100 Volts.

If I set my PBO - Precision Boost Overdrive to Auto it runs much lower temperatures but boosts less.
Using the Enabled settings bypasses the motherboard's defaults and boosts higher but increases voltage so temperature rises.
Hence the offset to control temps but get higher boosts.

Each PC is unique though and it depends on the manufacturers' individual defaults.

Also the Ryzen 3000 series are new and the manufacturers have released the BIOS updates in most cases but they won't necessarily be perfect in every situation especially in these early days.

So to summarise -

For gaming your temperature is just fine with the one example you have given.

Benchmarking will max your temperatures and mine has actually shut down during one test due to temperature.

I also appreciate your cooler is one of the best performers on the market so 73c will seem excessive to a lot of people including yourself.

The Power Plan can affect idle temperatures dramatically and if Balanced doesn't let yours idle properly you can force it with Power Saver.
Some people do find the Power Plan is buggy on their Ryzen CPU and need to manually adjust it.

For gaming or benchmarking you need Balanced otherwise your CPU will be heavily restricted.
Thanks for your input. I have the plans on ryzen power saver actually because on balance and high performance, it downclocks.

It is just odd to me that this is the first chip I have handled that, out of the box, hits thermal limits and have no room for overclocking on a noctua cooler. While many other reviews show much more excellent temps with similar or lower quality coolers, and they can overclock comfortably while keeping stable temps.

I understand ryzen chips is higher in temps than intel but this is honestly a lot hotter when doing gaming/editing. Others even manage stock coolers with better temperatures, which is just weird.

Last edited:

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
Yes it certainly is unexpected as chips generally run fine out of the box.

There are a lot of posts on this forum, and google searches, with similar high temps on new Ryzen 3000 CPU s.

Your Power Saver plan is usually the one that downclocks not the Balanced or High Performance.

Try a negative CPU voltage offset of -0.100 in the BIOS.
This should drop temperatures.
I know you said in your post you can't drop the voltage due to benchmarking but it's fine.
The voltages are set high and can run with this offset.

Jul 22, 2019
Yes it certainly is unexpected as chips generally run fine out of the box.

There are a lot of posts on this forum, and google searches, with similar high temps on new Ryzen 3000 CPU s.

Your Power Saver plan is usually the one that downclocks not the Balanced or High Performance.

Try a negative CPU voltage offset of -0.100 in the BIOS.
This should drop temperatures.
I know you said in your post you can't drop the voltage due to benchmarking but it's fine.
The voltages are set high and can run with this offset.
Oddly, im getting 4.1ghz on power saver and 4ghz on balance. I'll try on balance and offset the voltage and see how that works out.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I've heard about a lot of people having issues in MSI bios related to temps on these new CPU's. You don't want to turn off core performance boost or undervolt with clocks on auto. Either will nerf performance. I don't have any MSI boards currently but I did hear mention of switching the voltage from Auto to Normal may help on certain motherboards. If your motherboard has this option you should definitely try it. Otherwise this is just some kind of issue in the current MSI Bios release. If this is a no go there are 2 strategy's to effectively get temps down/capped that I've played with. The easiest way is to go into AMD Overclocking>Precision Boost Overdrive> Advanced> and than manually set a temp cap. This won't help idle but will keep the CPU under control at load. It won't hurt performance too bad depending on how bad the thermal situation is. The other usually more effective way is to manually undervolt with fixed voltage and multiplier. Typically you'll get better single thread performance with the temp cap and better multi-core performance with the manual clocks and voltage. The stock coolers for the ryzen 5s are also a bit underwhelming. The stealth in particular. If you are having issues with an aftermarket cooler than there is definitely something else going on. Make sure you guys carefully read the Reddit post from AMD in the 3rd link.

Before resorting to temp capping or manually setting voltage and clock multiplier check the following; Make sure you are are on win 10 1903, have the latest chipset driver download directly from AMD, and also have voltage set to normal rather than auto in bios if you have the option.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-3000-if-using-auto-clock-multiplier.3501169/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ryzen-5-3600-w-wraith-stealth-cooler-temps.3501705/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

Jul 22, 2019
I've heard about a lot of people having issues in MSI bios related to temps on these new CPU's. You don't want to turn off core performance boost or undervolt with clocks on auto. Either will nerf performance. I don't have any MSI boards currently but I did hear mention of switching the voltage from Auto to Normal may help on certain motherboards. If your motherboard has this option you should definitely try it. Otherwise this is just some kind of issue in the current MSI Bios release. If this is a no go there are 2 strategy's to effectively get temps down/capped that I've played with. The easiest way is to go into AMD Overclocking>Precision Boost Overdrive> Advanced> and than manually set a temp cap. This won't help idle but will keep the CPU under control at load. It won't hurt performance too bad depending on how bad the thermal situation is. The other usually more effective way is to manually undervolt with fixed voltage and multiplier. Typically you'll get better single thread performance with the temp cap and better multi-core performance with the manual clocks and voltage. The stock coolers for the ryzen 5s are also a bit underwhelming. The stealth in particular. If you are having issues with an aftermarket cooler than there is definitely something else going on. Make sure you guys carefully read the Reddit post from AMD in the 3rd link.

Before resorting to temp capping or manually setting voltage and clock multiplier check the following; Make sure you are are on win 10 1903, have the latest chipset driver download directly from AMD, and also have voltage set to normal rather than auto in bios if you have the option.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-3000-if-using-auto-clock-multiplier.3501169/

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/ryzen-5-3600-w-wraith-stealth-cooler-temps.3501705/

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/
Thanks for all this info! I'll give it a try and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks

Reactions: rigg42

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
Sorry. totally forgot to list my specs.

CPU: Ryzen 3600x
Ram: Trident Z 16gb 3200mhz
SSD: Adata (Reused)
GPU: Gigabyte vega 64
PSU: seasonic 850w bronze
Chassis: Cooler master cm690 ii (Reused) (4 fans in positive airflow)
Cooler: Noctua nh-d15
Motherboard: MSI B450m Bazooka Plus (Latest bios)
Thermal Paste: Artic MX-4 (Pea sized, 2 more other times with more added)
Thanks for all this info! I'll give it a try and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks
Considering you have a really nice cooler you might consider a manual OC anyway. The manual undervolt I suggested as a work around is the same idea. If I was able to hit stable 4.2 ghz @1.35v on a 3600 with Gammaxx GT you should easily be able to dial up similar or better on a 3600x. If you have the option to change to a 3600 without too much hassle I'd recommend that. Having played with both I don't think the 3600x price increase is really justified. Particularly when not even using the stock cooler.

You might lose a bit of single core performance going with manual OC but the gain in multi core is significant. If you can get within 100 mhz of max single core I think it's worth the trade off personally. I'm not recommending more than 1.35v with LLC and would not run at more than 1.4. If you decide to go this route I can provide some advice. It's not really hard it just takes some trial and error and some stress testing.

Jul 22, 2019
Considering you have a really nice cooler you might consider a manual OC anyway. The manual undervolt I suggested as a work around is the same idea. If I was able to hit stable 4.2 ghz @1.35v on a 3600 with Gammaxx GT you should easily be able to dial up similar or better on a 3600x. If you have the option to change to a 3600 without too much hassle I'd recommend that. Having played with both I don't think the 3600x price increase is really justified. Particularly when not even using the stock cooler.

You might lose a bit of single core performance going with manual OC but the gain in multi core is significant. If you can get within 100 mhz of max single core I think it's worth the trade off personally. I'm not recommending more than 1.35v with LLC and would not run at more than 1.4. If you decide to go this route I can provide some advice. It's not really hard it just takes some trial and error and some stress testing.
What are your temps with 4.2ghz@1.3v? And what do you stress test with?

I'm pretty sure mine is gonna just shoot straight pass 95 degrees on aida64 and prime95 easily.

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018

Scroll down this thread a bit. There are screenshots of the 4.2 ghz OC. I'm stress testing a different 3600 on a 240 AIO right now at 4.275 at 1.4v and its not even going over 70c. Your cooler should be able to cool 1.4v easily or something is wrong.

Were you able to find a normal setting for your vcore voltage instead of auto as AMD suggests? Your board might not have the option.

Jul 22, 2019

Scroll down this thread a bit. There are screenshots of the 4.2 ghz OC. I'm stress testing a different 3600 on a 240 AIO right now at 4.275 at 1.4v and its not even going over 70c. Your cooler should be able to cool 1.4v easily or something is wrong.

Were you able to find a normal setting for your vcore voltage instead of auto as AMD suggests? Your board might not have the option.
Thanks for linking your post.

I am getting over 80 degrees on cine bench at stock, and this is what I have been trying to figure out for days. Constant testing, changing thermal paste, etc. I can't use aida64 or Prime95 because it gets too hot.

The only possible theory I have left is that the diode is not making good contact, and I can't check that as it will void my warrenty. But at the same time diode temps is the same as cpu on aida64, so it checks out unless the readings is wrong.

I have not yet had the time to check my bios. I'll see if it has the normal option and pray it works out. Otherwise, as good as the value for ryzen is, and as harsh as it sounds, this might be my first and last buy for amd cpus.