Question NEW Ryzen 3600x Overheat

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 22, 2019
I have been trying to solve this issue for DAYS now. My CPU has pretty high temps. GTA V - 73 degrees, Cinebench - 86ish degrees, aida64 - 93 degrees, prime95 - over 95 easily if the Vcore is not on auto, basically shutdown. Idle bounces around from 43 - 60 degrees, mainly staying around 55ish. I dont know why, but i beg my cores to just sleep every once in awhile, Im not even doing anything. I have never gotten temps like this on my intel i5 before.

I have tried repasting thermal paste 3 times, all 3 with different amounts of thermal paste. Used the stock cooler as well. Undervolted, which if i remember can still get to 90 degrees. Turn off pbo and amd cool and quiet. Change ryzen power plan. Open sides of case to check airflow, which didnt change anything.

Funny thing is that i brought it to the distributor wanting to get a refund, but he tested it and the max temps he got, on prime95, SMALL, is 93 degrees? At stock. Im sorry, what? He is running a generic cooler from aliexpress and I am running a noctua nh-d15 and yet I cannot achieve stable temps. WHY?!?! His aida64 temps are around 80 and mine easily hits 92.

I really do not know what the issue is, I have tried everything I know. Im not sure if my motherboard or ram or me is causing all of this because i do not have a spares lying around to test. They shouldn't, but at the same my temps are bad.

At this point, im lost and I feel like i wasted a good chunk of my money. Too late to switch to intel too, because I have to get a new motherboard. I simply do not have the money to cash out on new parts again as this upgrade is meant to last a good 3 years. Sorry to rant but after seeing reviews about how good ryzen is, I was really expecting more, or at least the capability to overclock, not undervolt.

If anyone, ANYONE, has a solution or even a suggestion, please tell me. I can't even refund this because technically it does not have any issues.

Last edited:

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I think this is a BIOS issue. I have tested 5 different Ryzen 3000 cpu's on 5 different motherboards and besides a few small quirks everything is working great. Most of the people having this heat/votage issue seem to be on MSI motherboards. I'm seriously tempted to go out and buy one just to test. I have multiple boards from the other 3 vendors right now and all of them are working how they are supposed to. This really sucks too because the power delivery and the bios flash feature on a lot of the b450/x470 MSI boards is great for the money. After coming to the conclusion today that MSI's bios is likely bugged I don't think I can recommend them in good conscience. That being said I have seen other people with issues on other manufacturers boards as well.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2019
I think this is a BIOS issue. I have tested 5 different Ryzen 3000 cpu's on 5 different motherboards and besides a few small quirks everything is working great. Most of the people having this heat/votage issue seem to be on MSI motherboards. I'm seriously tempted to go out and buy one just to test. I have multiple boards from the other 3 vendors right now and all of them are working how they are supposed to. This really sucks too because the power delivery and the bios flash feature on the MSI boards is great for the money. After coming to the conclusion today that MSI's bios is likely bugged I don't think I recommend them in good conscience. That being said I have seen other people with issues on other manufacturers boards as well.
Hopefully someone with 2 different boards can get it tested out and clarify if that could be the cause of the issue.

I'm curious as to how you're re-pasting and re-seating the HSF. Are you using the "single dot" approach or "spread"? Also, how are you actually putting the NH-D15 in position? That thing is HEAVY and it can be really tricky to do if you're not careful.

Also, what about cleaning? Are you properly cleaning the surfaces of both the CPU and HSF with Isopropyl Alcohol (or similar)? Remember you cannot have gaps, air bubbles nor debris/dirt when you put join them. Much less human grease/fat.

Cheers!

Jul 22, 2019
I'm curious as to how you're re-pasting and re-seating the HSF. Are you using the "single dot" approach or "spread"? Also, how are you actually putting the NH-D15 in position? That thing is HEAVY and it can be really tricky to do if you're not careful.

Also, what about cleaning? Are you properly cleaning the surfaces of both the CPU and HSF with Isopropyl Alcohol (or similar)? Remember you cannot have gaps, air bubbles nor debris/dirt when you put join them. Much less human grease/fat.

Cheers!
I am using single dot method. Made sure the brackets is tight and aligned the cooler along with the bracket. Made sure to screw in with even pressure on both sides of the screw.

I clean with isopropyl alcohol and made sure not to touch the base with my fingers.

Jul 22, 2019
I think this is a BIOS issue. I have tested 5 different Ryzen 3000 cpu's on 5 different motherboards and besides a few small quirks everything is working great. Most of the people having this heat/votage issue seem to be on MSI motherboards. I'm seriously tempted to go out and buy one just to test. I have multiple boards from the other 3 vendors right now and all of them are working how they are supposed to. This really sucks too because the power delivery and the bios flash feature on a lot of the b450/x470 MSI boards is great for the money. After coming to the conclusion today that MSI's bios is likely bugged I don't think I can recommend them in good conscience. That being said I have seen other people with issues on other manufacturers boards as well.
Checked my bios and it does not have normal, only auto.

Considering someone already tested your CPU and they got normal temperatures, there's something with your PC that is not making it work correctly. Well, heat up too much.

Can you take pictures of your configuration and post them? Use imgur, if you can.

Cheers!

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
1.35v at 42 it hits above 95 degrees. It's stable at this clock. Temps, not so much.
That's about approximately 30c higher than I would expect. Maybe the CPU is defective. I saw a You tube video yesterday where the guy was claiming he got a 3700x with abnormaly high temp readings that he returned it to Micro Center for a 3800x and all was well afterwards.

Jul 22, 2019
Thanks guys for your help, I have just come to terms that amd has screwed me over, and I got a bad cpu. There is a reddit post of people reporting their temps to be 95 degrees and above.

From launch to this day, no one has found the reason to this issue. People have resorted to turning off core performance boost, which is sad to spend money on a product only to perform like last year's product. Even my vega 64 latest drivers are giving weird colors on boot sometimes. It just shows the instability of amd products. Either that or I'm really unlucky.

As of now, I'm just gonna let it run as hot as it wants. If it dies or not, I'm just gonna move over to the next gen Intel once it comes out. I can't refund anyway as they see it as a working product.

Thanks again for your help guys. Hopefully someone with similar issues will find this post and maybe it might help them.

Last edited:

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
I appreciate that this has been going on for days now you trying to solve your high temperatures.

95c in benchmarking is perfectly normal though as that is the temperature my Ryzen 2700X goes up to in Prime 95.
Benchmarking software absolutely maxes out all cores of the CPU.

In Cinebench my temperature hits 85c.

Running at 73c in games is a perfectly normal operating temperature as well.

I used to run at between 70-75c until I set a voltage offset to get it down to 65c.

The temperatures you are experiencing are similar to mine and normal.

kaz050

Honorable
Dec 26, 2013
In short Quit running benchmarks because they are ment to tax the CPU to the max,gta 5 temps are fine I own the 3600 using the AMD wrath spire and under gaming load depends on the game I will only get to 75c so in short leave your bios stock make sure to check for bios updates and you have a great CPU.

oile

Commendable
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, I've the exact same issue of abnormal temperature readings.
Noctua nh d14 here, with crosshair VI hero 1003aba (but older 1001 and 0072 changes nothing).
Same skyrocketing in Avx tests and at least +15c over my 1600@4.1ghz.
Repasted three times, three different thermal pastes (mx4, gc2, gc extreme) temperature are exactly the same.
Manual overclock is a mess, my chip can't even handle 4.0ghz at 1.34v. Probably that's the cause of extreme heat but I will not reduce the life of a cpu I ve bought to last, just because amd didn't manage to get good silicon.
What can we do? Will amd accept an rma and verify if the sensor is faulty?

Aug 31, 2019
I have similar issues with my 3600x on ROG B450-F. Idling around 50-60 degrees C (122-140 degrees F), there seemed to be a consistent pattern: from mid 60s the temp would gradually go down to low 50s over a few seconds before shooting up again to mid 60s. All the while the clock speed was at +4.2GHz (i.e. constantly boosting). Under light load (eg. Installing a game on Steam) temps went up to 70C (158F). During gaming (Rainbow Six Siege in this case, not the most taxing game around) temps reached up to 91C (200F). It was so bad that during gaming I took the side panel of my PC which seemed to improve temps a little bit. At that time I was still running the stock cooler and I attributed the heating issues to its underwhelming performance and a bad airflow in the system.

I resorted to installing a Kraken x62 in the hopes to get a cooler system but to no avail. Temps stayed the same. One possibility could be that I did not well apply thermal paste and that cleaning/reapplying would resolve the issue. However this would not explain the constant boost state of 4.2GHz my Ryzen is at. I tried to lower the CPU voltage a little bit, slightly improving temps but this was not sustained during gaming.

I honestly think (and hope) this is just one of Ryzen’s early adopter problems of the 3000 series. I plan to perform a chipset and BIOS update when I have the time, hopefully to resolve the issue.

For now, I just disabled Core Performance Boost and enabled EPU Power Saving Mode in BIOS. Clock speeds now do not exceed 3.8 GHz and the system is idling around 43C (110F). During gaming this went up to 64C(147F). These temps are much more comfortable to live with for now and I did not see a noticeable performance drop.

Hope this was helpful.

My system
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x
MB: ROG B450-F
RAM: Corsair 3000 MHz 16GB
PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 - 750W
GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Super
Cooling: Kraken X62
Monitoring software: NZXT CAM