New Ryzen 5 1600 build won't post

pabuffon

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
My computer fails to post. The PSU, GPU, and case were taken from my last working build. So I don't believe the issue lies with them. See full components here. The LED's turn on, CPU and case fans turn on. With both pieces of RAM first the CPU and VRAM debug LED's turn on momentarily, then the VGA debug LED, then finally the boot debug LED.

I have tried using only one piece of RAM in all slots to the same effect. The CPU debug LED turns on momentarily, then the VGA debug LED, then finally the boot debug LED.

All cables have been double checked, the GPU has been reinserted. All motherboard standoffs have been used, just like with my other build. I purposely bought RAM supported by the motherboard, G. Skill F4-3200C16D-16GVRB.

Any thoughts on what's going on and what I should do next?

Solution
Very strange, normally at the boot LED, thats where the screen comes on, even with the boot LED on, just means your boot drive isnt configured in the bios yet, you are passing the CPU, MEM and VGA test, and I know your ram is ok because im using the same, which cable are you using to connect to your monitor ?

I do know on the earlier bioses for this board it could take upto 30 seconds to post though, so have you left it on for long enough ? the slow post time was fixed in later bios revisions.

InvalidError

Titan

Did you check to make 100% certain that every standoff actually lines up with holes on the motherboard? Not all motherboards have all ATX mounting holes and if you put in more standoffs than your motherboard actually has holes for, the extra standoff(s) may be shorting something out on the back of the board.

pabuffon

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015

Yes I checked to make sure every standoff lines up with the holes on the motherboard. Additionally I became paranoid that I had mounted the CPU incorrectly and removed the heat sink to check. The CPU had been mounted correctly. I think I'm going to try to breadboarding the components next. I haven't tried anything yet because I assume I'll need to replace the thermal paste from remounting the CPU and heatsink? I don't have any on hand.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017
Very strange, normally at the boot LED, thats where the screen comes on, even with the boot LED on, just means your boot drive isnt configured in the bios yet, you are passing the CPU, MEM and VGA test, and I know your ram is ok because im using the same, which cable are you using to connect to your monitor ?

I do know on the earlier bioses for this board it could take upto 30 seconds to post though, so have you left it on for long enough ? the slow post time was fixed in later bios revisions.

Solution

pabuffon

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015

Still nothing after breadboarding (I don't have a motherboard speaker so I was going by the debug LED's). I cleared CMOS, then I connected just the CPU, then the CPU and one piece of RAM, and then finally the CPU, RAM, and GPU. The CPU and VRAM debug LED's stayed on and didn't change for a few minutes.

As for the cables, earlier I tried DVI and then HDMI with no luck. Additionally I have waited for up to 5 minutes waiting for it to post and nothing happened.

pabuffon

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015

I made a simple mistake and tore my hair out for two days because of it. My old motherboard had no video out ports. Me new motherboard, an MSI Tomahawk B350, did have video outputs. I plugged my monitor into the motherboard and didn't even think about it. As soon as I realized this, I plugged my monitor into my GTX 1060 and everything was fine.

This issue was further complicated by the fact that I received one stick of DOA memory. I ended up purchasing a new memory set from Amazon Prime (Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16). I updated my BIOS and can run the memory set at 2666.

TRENDING THREADS