New Ryzen 5 1600 or used i7 4790k?

danchoky

Prominent
Jul 2, 2017
Hello all!
I am going to build my first gaming rig and right now I am wondering which way to go: Brand new Ryzen 5 1600 8GB RAM build or i7 4790K+Assrock Z97+16 GB DDR3 1600-ALL used with some left warranty for the mobo and the memory. The CPU is bought from a foreign country and basicaly I can't take advantage of it's warranty. All this for 375 €/ 440$:
https://www.olx.bg/ad/dano-protsesor-ram-ID6Qn4b.html#e...

The price is equaly the same for both. The seller says that the components are still used in a system and that's why he posted pictures of the boxes only.

Solution
Both are going to be good. The 1600 has a couple more cores and more threads, but the 4790 is higher clock speed. The 1600 uses less wattage and way more cache on all three levels. From comparisons I have seen, ultimately they both give similar performance, so I would just go with the one that is best priced. But since you say both for the same price, I would go with the Ryzen simply because it is brand new and will have longer warranty time, just in case something does happen. I wouldn't be too concerned about 8 gigs RAM vs 16. Higher RAM is nice, but most games don't take advantage of that much and 16 is overkill. Though with some of the next gen games, it could be an issue at some point. Of course, it can always be upgraded...

Bo Lee

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
Both are going to be good. The 1600 has a couple more cores and more threads, but the 4790 is higher clock speed. The 1600 uses less wattage and way more cache on all three levels. From comparisons I have seen, ultimately they both give similar performance, so I would just go with the one that is best priced. But since you say both for the same price, I would go with the Ryzen simply because it is brand new and will have longer warranty time, just in case something does happen. I wouldn't be too concerned about 8 gigs RAM vs 16. Higher RAM is nice, but most games don't take advantage of that much and 16 is overkill. Though with some of the next gen games, it could be an issue at some point. Of course, it can always be upgraded down the road if it does.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS